The new manager thread

Polarboy

7 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

I mean Howe being the next option is simply bizarre. It's like whittling it down to Julia Roberts and Carol Thatcher to be your lass

Either way, you're punching. 

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Thing is though - If he’d all but said yes then decided, for whatever reasons, it wasn’t right for him then he’s done the honourable thing. It’s the opposite of what a mercenary would do and I respect that. Loads of people would’ve gone against their instincts and just thought - if it goes wrong at least I’ll have made a fortune 

Also, not a great look potentially burning bridges in his native country. Likely weighed up the very real risk of relegation which would have surely seen him want to piss off back home in a hurry.

I wonder what the prospective managers are being told in regards to available funds for transfers in January, why can't they leak that to the press instead of all this other harmful stuff...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OTF said:

Also, not a great look potentially burning bridges in his native country. Likely weighed up the very real risk of relegation which would have surely seen him want to piss off back home in a hurry.

I wonder what the prospective managers are being told in regards to available funds for transfers in January, why can't they leak that to the press instead of all this other harmful stuff...

Coz we got loadsamoney. Richest club in the world. Gonna spend billions.

To think otherwise means it's the end of the world as we know it (wow) or something…

7 hours ago, Dougle said:

And all this talk about how much we are going to spend in January or the summer…. Where does this belief come from? Coz the new owners are rich? Mike Ashley was fairly fucking rich compared to some far healthier spenders ffs.

My mate Steve is the wealthiest bastard I know yet his fridge is always empty, never has the heating on (hoose is Baltic), has a bus pass (free travel), still wears clothes he bought 20, 30 years ago “still in good nick mate”. Yet the daft get will happily drop £250 quid on a new shirt he wont ever wear, or pay £100 for a toaster coz its an investment and “err makes nice toast”.

Wealthy fuckers ay?

Well they were prepared to pay £6m compensation for a highly rated manager rather than go for someone out of work in the first place, such as Howe. That does suggest that they won't be afraid to spend on players when the time comes. Other than that, if you know anything about Saudis, I just can't see them buying a football club to be anything but the best. 

8 hours ago, Dougle said:

And all this talk about how much we are going to spend in January or the summer…. Where does this belief come from? Coz the new owners are rich? Mike Ashley was fairly fucking rich compared to some far healthier spenders ffs.

My mate Steve is the wealthiest bastard I know yet his fridge is always empty, never has the heating on (hoose is Baltic), has a bus pass (free travel), still wears clothes he bought 20, 30 years ago “still in good nick mate”. Yet the daft get will happily drop £250 quid on a new shirt he wont ever wear, or pay £100 for a toaster coz its an investment and “err makes nice toast”.

Wealthy fuckers ay?

If he eats a lot of toast that's why his fridge is empty

• Haha 1

I think Jones may be one of those blokes like Derek Fazakerley, Steve Clarke or Brian Kidd who do really good jobs as coaches but just aren't cut out to manage. 

We definitely got a lot better last year (not hard I know) after Jones arrived. 

• Like 3

Went to bed feeling Howe meh

Got up feeling Howe meh

Watched a few videos and read about him and still feeling meh

Surely being the richest club in the world we can do better. I appreciate there is a group of elites who manage the crème but that must leave a hell of a lot of potential very good managers who must be tempted by our project.

I know I’ve been ruined by Keegan but I really want a Keegan’esque type who will make crap players feel like gods, will aspire to play attacking football and an inspirational leader.

Surely this character must be out there.

• Like 1

It's short term man. It's about having a manager vs not having one at all. 

Then in the summer you get a long term replacement.

The timing of this takeover has completely fucked our chances of getting a good start. I don't think there's been enough appreciation of that.

Good managers are in jobs during the season, and for the most part, good managers won't leave good clubs to join a serious relegation prospect, with only the January window to fix things. 

Summer is the time to get things right. In the meantime, it's project survival, and if that means a sticky plaster manager, so be it. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

NUFC fans under Ashley: 'We don't demand a team that wins, we demand a team that tries'.

Three weeks later: 'BOOO!!! Why haven't you given us a world class manager?!? PCP out!'

Not sure if you’re serious?

Not the sort of comments I’m seeing much of anywhere.

Obviously expectations are raised a tad when you become the richest club in the world. To go from Bruce to Emery keeps those expectations raised.

And then Howe is getting attention and I read tweets like this and wonder is that really the best we can do.

Others know much more than me and if it is Howe I hope he’s a massive success.

9E42D590-E777-4F98-A965-AB49AB24FDC7.jpeg

There's gonna be multiple false dawns along the way with this project btw. It's not gonna be a case of just pointing us at the top 4 and setting sail. We're going to need to get used to that and just enjoy the little bits of progress along the way. 

TLDR: It's not the destination maaaaan, it's the journey. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

There's gonna be multiple false dawns along the way with this project btw. It's not gonna be a case of just pointing us at the top 4 and setting sail. We're going to need to get used to that and just enjoy the little bits of progress along the way. 

TLDR: It's not the destination maaaaan, it's the journey. 

We've been travelling mostly backwards for the last 14 years so any bit of going forward is going to feel odd. 

14 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Not sure if you’re serious?

Not the sort of comments I’m seeing much of anywhere.

Obviously expectations are raised a tad when you become the richest club in the world. To go from Bruce to Emery keeps those expectations raised.

And then Howe is getting attention and I read tweets like this and wonder is that really the best we can do.

Others know much more than me and if it is Howe I hope he’s a massive success.

9E42D590-E777-4F98-A965-AB49AB24FDC7.jpeg

He spent £164m in his last four seasons, his net spend was £93m so about £23m per season. That's not colossal money.

He took a small team from League One and within three seasons had them finishing, 16th, 9th, 12th and 14th in the Premier League. He's not going to win us a PL title but he should be more than good enough to see us safe. 

Edited by ewerk
  • Like 1

Its a come down from Emery and the like but after having slept on it I agree he should have enough about him to see us safe and that should be the end all and be all this season. He'll come in to a Bournemouth lite squad which will help, has a transfer window coming up and most importantly he has the time needed dig us out of the shit unlike Rafa who came in with 9/10 games left. IF hes a stop gap until we get proper structure in place and appoint someone more serious in the summer then I am ok with it.

Edited by 247

If its Howe that's OK ish, if it gives the club time to bring in a DoF before January... tbf what they're trying to achieve at this stage of the season with our league position it's no wonder they're finding it tricky...they need to fuckin stop briefing their friends in the media though...that really is a poor sign. I'm not impressed with Staveley with her dealings with the press , the club needs to get a professional in to that role immediately 

• Like 2

Theres one thing about Staveley that makes me wonder how long shes going to be about based on what we've seen with appointing a manager.

When she first came in and did the interviews and the press she said that she has her position at the club at the discretion of PiF and if they're not happy with how her and the reubens perform in running the club they'll be out.

So far, this hasn't been impressive, if Howe is the manager and the brief is to keep us up this season thats ok, if we don't have a proper DoF and a football structure in place come the end of the season thats bad, if we start making moves to replace Howe or something with a "long term" manager in summer and it runs like this search has, thats shite.

• Like 3

the owners have been a bit naive the way they have leaked the emery story before he put pen to paper but it's a tricky one. we won't get a top tier manager right away given our current predicament. we have a load of shite players on the books and we are already 6 points adrift - it's a massive turnaround job for any manager and the best ones won't want to risk a relegation on their CV. 

i don't really mind someone like howe coming in for a year or two to steady the ship. i'm not sure we're going to attract much better given where we are right now, despite the untold riches to play with in january. he's still a big upgrade on bruce and his bournemouth side played some attractive football. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

• Polarboy changed the title to Who do you want as the next manager? Howe, for now.
  • Meenzer changed the title to The new manager thread