The new manager thread

Polarboy

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The takeover definitely caught Staveley and the Reuben's off guard. 

We were all nicely set up 18 months ago. Get Benitez in while the rest of the football club took shape, spend a bit of money in the middle of the financial insecurity of the pandemic.

That was definitely Plan A. 

As mentioned though things change quickly and not just with our club. It just feels like we needed a plan B,C,D,E and F. 

Nothing like a knee jerk reaction though is there right. Wa doomed.

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

What manager is going to interview for a job with a club you don't actually own though?

Not so much of an interview but more a good old fashioned tapping up. 

I'd assume that conversations between managers and agents would have happened without being formal.

28 minutes ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

Maybe we aren't stable and competent right now, let the press have their little giggle of self satisfaction. We will build the structure to give us that competency, of that I have no doubt, so as far as I am concerned we will be the ones looking down in the long run. 

We can't force people to get on board, but the ones that do won't be on the losing side in the final reckoning. 

Yup, I’ve just watched the first 20 minutes of that all or nothing with Man City and the absolute professionalism away from the pitch has me drooling for what’s to come down the line. Fucking hell it’s unreal. :lol: 

1 minute ago, BetweenTheSticks said:

I'd assume that conversations between managers and agents would have happened without being formal.

So how would that have gone?

"Oh yes Mr Conte, we might not be owners of NUFC right now, because the Premier League have blocked us for the past 12 months, but if and when they change their mind, please don't take any other jobs just in case..." 🤗

7 minutes ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

If we are feeling pissed, imagine how Man U fans must feel. They had all the infrastructure in the world, dallied for one week, and Levy took a run up and booted Nuno up the arse ASAP, and before you know it, Conte's at Spurs instead of Man Yoo. 

Let's be honest.  Man Utd at the moment and for the foreseeable future, will still attract the top top managers over us.

1 minute ago, Alan Doh'liver said:

So how would that have gone?

"Oh yes Mr Conte, we might not be owners of NUFC right now, because the Premier League have blocked us for the past 12 months, but if and when they change their mind, please don't take any other jobs just in case..." 🤗

It could have very much been along those lines minus the don't take any other jobs. It could have been the most informal conversation just sounding out interest.

Also maybe I'm wrong. 

18 minutes ago, BetweenTheSticks said:

And what is the point of tapping up when the job might not be available for a year? Bear in mind nobody could look at anything bar the financials. Not the coaching setup, the scouts, nothing. 

I guess it's like buying a house through a blind auction. You've seen some photos, and can see the potential, but until you own it and start going through everything you're in no position to start work. You couldn't book a sparky or a bricky to come work on the project until you've know when the sale is going through. 

• Like 1

It's an absolutely radge suggestion that the prospective owners should have been tapping up candidates a year out from actually owning the club. We've even had the suggestion that they should have paid the wages of candidates to keep them from taking a job. It's a whole new brand of fantasy football. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

It's an absolutely radge suggestion that the prospective owners should have been tapping up candidates a year out from actually owning the club. We've even had the suggestion that they should have paid the wages of candidates to keep them from taking a job. It's a whole new brand of fantasy football. 

Tapping up might have been the wrong term to use.

All I'm trying to say is the last 18 months they were fighting to buy the club. If they knew when court proceedings started that it was highly likely that they would get the takeover through they could have started sounding out a director of football and a manager.

There's a chance that it all happened so fast and this is just how it is.

Did they not speak with Rafa and Pocchetino prior to the first attempt?

Talking to people when they were confident about buying, before the purchase, is totally normal and seemingly what they did last time out.

This time they couldn't because they didn't know when it was going through.

We have literally had this discussion on several previous occasions :lol:

1 minute ago, BetweenTheSticks said:

All I'm trying to say is the last 18 months they were fighting to buy the club. If they knew when court proceedings started that it was highly likely that they would get the takeover through they could have started sounding out a director of football and a manager.

I don't think that's true though. I think that given the only perceived route forward was a contracted legal dispute, with no guarantee of progress, all plans would have been on hold. 

When suddenly the Saudis about face on the piracy shenanigans, everyone is caught short. 

Just now, BetweenTheSticks said:

I think your last sentence nails it. I also think that the outcome could have gone either way. So it wasn't just the timing that took them by surprise. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

They had Rafa earmarked but expecting someone to just stay out of work for a hypothetical takeover that may never have happened is an insane suggestion if you stop to think about it for more than 30 seconds

Did I miss something, who is saying that?

I do agree that circumstances are totally different to 18 months ago when Staveley et al were thinking they would walk into a club at the end of a season with the opportunity to sort things for the following season.

This time they obviously got rushed into things, with the timing of the takeover coming out of the blue.

Even though I agree that it’s been a sensible approach not to rush into an appointment but to take their time to make sure to get the right man the way it has been unfolding demonstrates that they have a long way to go to get the hang of this football lark. Circulating the name of their prime candidate prematurely ahead of an important match was never a good idea, especially with a lit of people in the media and the football community being vary of the new owners, their republic and their money. Staveley et al really need to learn to sort things and finalise deals before making them public.

I have to admit that I am underwhelmed if it is going to be Howe. Not because I do not rate him but I think that the club does need a clear identity and philosophy that suits the club. I am not sure that Howe is someone who is able to build a club and create a lasting legacy. That might be something for a sporting director or director of football though and I really hope the attempts to find the right person are not as shambolic as the Emery fiasco.

• Like 2

Anyway, on to the next on the list of managers, much as I quite like Howe and Martinez for the way they approach football, it just seems a real risk to take a punt  on either given they are not really well known for making teams hard to beat. Emery had some credentials in that regard, even if his football wasn't always inspiring. 

I just wonder, given our resources, if there aren't slightly more experienced and savvy candidates we could sound out?

2 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

I do agree that circumstances are totally different to 18 months ago when Staveley et al were thinking they would walk into a club at the end of a season with the opportunity to sort things for the following season.

This time they obviously got rushed into things, with the timing of the takeover coming out of the blue.

Even though I agree that it’s been a sensible approach not to rush into an appointment but to take their time to make sure to get the right man the way it has been unfolding demonstrates that they have a long way to go to get the hang of this football lark. Circulating the name of their prime candidate prematurely ahead of an important match was never a good idea, especially with a lit of people in the media and the football community being vary of the new owners, their republic and their money. Staveley et al really need to learn to sort things and finalise deals before making them public.

I have to admit that I am underwhelmed if it is going to be Howe. Not because I do not rate him but I think that the club does need a clear identity and philosophy that suits the club. I am not sure that Howe is someone who is able to build a club and create a lasting legacy. That might be something for a sporting director or director of football though and I really hope the attempts to find the right person are not as shambolic as the Emery fiasco.

Do you really think the news about Emery taking the job was from our side? It would seem really amateurish to do that unless Emery had given assurances that he was taking the job. 

My own opinion is that he might have been tempted to take the job, but being a bit indecisive, has changed his mind. I read somewhere that he was described as an anxious type, and it could well be that having won the CL tie yesterday, he's had a change of heart. 

• Polarboy changed the title to Who do you want as the next manager? Howe, for now.
  • Meenzer changed the title to The new manager thread