The new manager thread

Polarboy

5 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

New short term transfer adviser revealed.....

tenor.gif?itemid=16181289

I can save Mandy a brown bag of cash and tell her now his recommendations are Crouchy, Defoe and Niko Kranjcar.

• Haha 7

• 1 month later...

The main problem for me is that he has a philosophy which we just don’t have the players to implement. It would be hard to get the results anyway, mainly down the CM issues Howay has spoken about at length. There’s problems all over the park like but a more pragmatic approach in the short term might have reaped some better results. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Alex said:

The main problem for me is that he has a philosophy which we just don’t have the players to implement. It would be hard to get the results anyway, mainly down the CM issues Howay has spoken about at length. There’s problems all over the park like but a more pragmatic approach in the short term might have reaped some better results. 

Yep this. Howe doesn't have the players to suit the way he likes his teams to play. Buying Wood can be considered being pragmatic I suppose, playing long ball in the hope he gets on the end of a few. Time will tell.

• Like 1

I’m gutted for him and a bit disappointed in him. He knew the players etc in depth and the short term task in hand when he took the job and sadly hasn’t delivered. 

Joe Linton has been the only real transformation and that’s, in a big part, down to where he’s playing. 

Even on the side lines during games he constantly seems to be looking to Tindall for answers and looks like a rabbit in the headlights.

While I can’t stand the bloke, it’s hard not to think Gerrard might have been a better quick fix in our situation.

As I said, gutted for Howe that nothings going right as he seems a very nice guy. But we know what happens to nice guys :( 

Aye, the other issue with that is you’re in a situation where you need fight, workmate, commitment and so on as a bare minimum. Something a few of those players haven’t shown any time recently. On top of that the takeover means they know they’re on borrowed time. Not exactly a good mix. And they’re shite for the most part 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken said:

Yep this. Howe doesn't have the players to suit the way he likes his teams to play. Buying Wood can be considered being pragmatic I suppose, playing long ball in the hope he gets on the end of a few. Time will tell.

signing wood is a head scratcher in that sense because he doesn’t fit howe’s pressing game at all. If you’re going to be pragmatic and sign an old fashioned target man, mix up the play and hit a few lomg balls up to him and start someone like Willock who can try to get close him.

I appreciate we were desperate for any sort of centre forward in and he was available but using him the way we did I found quite odd and that’s on the manager. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

We’re now ten matches into Howe’s reign as manager which included matches against our three main relegation rivals and a League One side. His record is W1 D4 L5.

Thoughts?

We have looked decent enough in most of those games but shot ourselves in the foot again and again. It’s the opposite as a lit of games under the dinosaur when we looked shit but got fortunate wins bar this season.

I do still think that it is mostly down to the lack of confidence to make things count. Until we go ahead players are too eager to make things happen. When it does finally happen they get too frightened to cling on a narrow lead.

As shit as our players are I thing the main problem isn’t the lack of quality but psychological issues.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I think it's one thing doing the research (shout out to Asprilla) on the players, and another thing entirely to then have to get a tune out of them. 

Does he have an opinion? He is always so succulent with his diatribe.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

signing wood is a head scratcher in that sense because he doesn’t fit howe’s pressing game at all. If you’re going to be pragmatic and sign an old fashioned target man, mix up the play and hit a few lomg balls up to him and start someone like Willock who can try to get close him.

I appreciate we were desperate for any sort of centre forward in and he was available but using him the way we did I found quite odd and that’s on the manager. 

One game man :lol:

I thought we did pump the ball long to Wood on occasion. The problem was that Shelvey and Longstaff were set to slo-mo. Something must have got said at half time cos there were a few occasions in the second half where Longstaff turned up in the final third, having set off 30 seconds previously. 

But aye it's the first game with the bloke in the team after maybe 2 days of training. Bit daft to expect that our game would be transformed. 

Edited by Gemmill

29 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I thought we did pump the ball long to Wood on occasion. The problem was that Shelvey and Longstaff were set to slo-mo. Something must have got said at half time cos there were a few occasions in the second half where Longstaff turned up in the final third, having set off 30 seconds previously. 

But aye it's the first game with the bloke in the team after maybe 2 days of training. Bit daft to expect that our game would be transformed. 

He was completely isolated on the rare occasions we did play it long. 

31 minutes ago, Ken said:

One game man :lol:

Fair point. Let’s see what happens against leeds and everton. I just don’t know if he’s the man to fit the system Howe seems to be trying to get them to play. And if his arrival does signal a change in style then it needs to be implemented asap. 

Edited by Dr Gloom