a ticket thread....

thebrokendoll

5 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

What's the alternative though?  A 100,000 seater stadium so anyone can come as and when they please?

Demand massively outstrips capacity atm. It didn't 2 seasons ago when we were shit and fighting relegation.  Aye, some of those stayed away because of Ashley. But there were 30,000 or so (at a guess) who were paying their money to watch us at our worst. Now they get the benefit of the good times. I've got zero animosity towards them for that. 

Even if we add another 10k on the capacity we are still going to have to same problem. What's the solution? Keep the extra 10k as general sale? Have a 1 season limit on any new season tickets? 

as regards the highlighted bit above..... in what respect? the football?

we were getting crowds of 30,000 and averaging twenty odd thousand (of which only a handful were season ticket holders) during sustained periods in the 2nd division, when the odd gem was routinely sold, the ground was falling apart but more importantly the region was on the bones of its fucking arse. blokes were making it to the match despite fighting to save their jobs down the mines, in the shipyards, the steelworks or all the engineering companies who relied on the above to stay in business. we had 25% of the male working age population on the dole but folk would still find a way to get to sjp despite this and the abysmal football on offer.

the ashley years changed that for people like me and a shit load of blokes who'd previously trawled up and down the country through really shit times following this club. 

you couldn't have got me to put a cross next to the tory candidate in a polling station if I'd been dragged down there with a gun at me head, would've been a shit self sacrifice mind when the rest of the country was seemingly hell bent on voting thatcher back in. but I could do something about ashley, I could stop paying the fat vindictive cunt to tell lies about the supporters making death threats to his family, treating club legends with utter contempt, renaming the stadium after his tat shop, letting it fall apart other than the thousands of shiny new sports direct logos from foundations to roof, employing lickspittles like llambias, kinnear, keith bishop, lee charnley, pardew and bruce to lie through their teeth to the supporters while he ripped the soul out of the club and took the piss out of the city with a smirk on his face. I walked away and it broke me fucking heart. even now he's gone as long as I can still draw breathe he or anything he's associated with will never get a penny from me, there's many like me.

been done to death on who was right, those who stayed or those who walked away and I can't be arsed with it anymore, but I know I was always coming back when he fucked off.

given the choice of rich saudi owners with the possibility of winning trophies or spiralling down the leagues and playing forest green rovers and acrington stanley whilst ashley lost every single penny of the £134m and £70m of debt he saddled the club with due to his own malice and incompetence I'd choose the latter every time.

be a lot easier to get a ticket anyway.   :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I got one of them under Ashley tbf ;) 

Seem quite proud of it too.

And btw if there had been only 30k taking tickets each week I think you’d find yer old marra Big Mike would have hoyed out 20k free half season tickets to you and your fellow scabs.

7 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

as regards the highlighted bit above..... in what respect? the football?

we were getting crowds of 30,000 and averaging twenty odd thousand (of which only a handful were season ticket holders) during sustained periods in the 2nd division, when the odd gem was routinely sold, the ground was falling apart but more importantly the region was on the bones of its fucking arse. blokes were making it to the match despite fighting to save their jobs down the mines, in the shipyards, the steelworks or all the engineering companies who relied on the above to stay in business. we had 25% of the male working age population on the dole but folk would still find a way to get to sjp despite this and the abysmal football on offer.

the ashley years changed that for people like me and a shit load of blokes who'd previously trawled up and down the country through really shit times following this club. 

you couldn't have got me to put a cross next to the tory candidate in a polling station if I'd been dragged down there with a gun at me head, would've been a shit self sacrifice mind when the rest of the country was seemingly hell bent on voting thatcher back in. but I could do something about ashley, I could stop paying the fat vindictive cunt to tell lies about the supporters making death threats to his family, treating club legends with utter contempt, renaming the stadium after his tat shop, letting it fall apart other than the thousands of shiny new sports direct logos from foundations to roof, employing lickspittles like llambias, kinnear, keith bishop, lee charnley, pardew and bruce to lie through their teeth to the supporters while he ripped the soul out of the club and took the piss out of the city with a smirk on his face. I walked away and it broke me fucking heart. even now he's gone as long as I can still draw breathe he or anything he's associated with will never get a penny from me, there's many like me.

been done to death on who was right, those who stayed or those who walked away and I can't be arsed with it anymore, but I know I was always coming back when he fucked off.

given the choice of rich saudi owners with the possibility of winning trophies or spiralling down the leagues and playing forest green rovers and acrington stanley whilst ashley lost every single penny of the £134m and £70m of debt he saddled the club with due to his own malice and incompetence I'd choose the latter every time.

be a lot easier to get a ticket anyway.   :)

I don't disagree with any of that, and fair play to you for walking away. But out of genuine interest, how do you align all of that with now being owned by PIF/MBS? From a moral perspective it's surely out of the frying pan and into a giant furnace? 

6 hours ago, Dougle said:

Seem quite proud of it too.

And btw if there had been only 30k taking tickets each week I think you’d find yer old marra Big Mike would have hoyed out 20k free half season tickets to you and your fellow scabs.

Only tongue in cheek cos I got pelters on here at the time ;) 

The fans were split over whether to boycott Ashley or to "support the team, not the regime". Similarly, we have fans now who refuse to attend games because we are owned by one of the worst countries on the planet. Fair play to them. 

My take is, you pretty much need to be a billionaire to own a PL club these days. And 99% of billionaires are cunts, albeit on a spectrum. I'm not sure I'd be putting Ashley above MBS on the spectrum tbh, but football does strange things to a fans moral compass. I reckon Miguel Delaney would snap your hand off to replace the Glazers with PIF atm. Likewise, the Mackems supporting Hendo going to the Saudi league. It's amazing how quickly your position on something can change when it involves the club you love. 

Anyway, if you have a bit of insight into that moral conundrum, you can make a conscious decision to disagree with the actions of your club owners, but still go to the games as you enjoy the football. I assume that's what a lot of NUFC fans are doing now. To criticise the fans that did the same under Ashley is surely hypocritical though?

• Like 1

Ashley was reviled because he took the piss out of the club. It was never about his ethics or the treatment of staff at SD etc. That was a convenient smoke screen for people like Chi Onwurah to platform on. If he had managed the club well and ambitiously, nobody would have had a problem. But he didn't, as tbd has listed.

PIF are taking the club to another level and have their PR spot on. But they're going to need to maximise revenue for FFP reasons, I doubt they are that bothered on the returns. That's inevitably going to make some people unhappy.

We all know that the regime PIF represent is not compatible with our own ethical code, but for inverse reasons to Ashley, we turn a blind eye. That's because we decompartmentalise things we can't control (club ownership) with things we can. I'd make the following points:

• People can get to fuck judging anyone else. Call me a scab for retaining my ST is ridiculous, it's only football ffs. Similarly to boast or gloat because you have an ST is equally stupid. And personally I fully agree that a substantial proportion of tickets should be held back for non-ST holders, but how they are distributed I don't know. 
  • If you're lucky enough to get a ticket, you'll know the atmosphere is fantastic and there is a strong sense of city unity that you probably have to go back to Keegan to match. Nobody wears tea towels on their heads though, and many people will have no sympathy for the MBS regime. So this demonstrates that people seperate the monetary ownership from the communal ownership in their minds.
  • Saudi is a corrupt state with values significantly different values from the West, of that there is no doubt. But it's not "whataboutery" to discuss states with equally vile human rights records or question why people have no issue not boycotting other parts of the PIF investment portfolio. The fact that people don't again just underlines that these facts just don't matter to them in day to day life. Of course, its quite typical to try to hold football to a higher standard for some reason. Why?
  • Whilst there are many issues with Saudi, most opposition football fans, especially mackems, are completely ignorant about them, like the Yemen civil war. Or worse, outright conspiracy theories about 9/11, or lies about paedophilia. I find the way mackems fetishise this completely undermines their point, and worse, says a lot to who they really are. 
  • Saudi are currently a big disruptor in European football and I am personally uneasy about their setting up the Saudi pro league and creaming some of the best European players. I think UEFA need to closely monitor the situation. 
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anyone in the queue for memberships? I’m 20k+ in the queue. No sign of the number going down. Wondering whether to sack it off. Is anyone else experiencing the same? 

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've just got on five minutes ago and was 55,000. :lol:

for fucks sake!  :lol:

I wasn't gonna bother this morning because in the link that I posted yesterday from nufc.com they implied that the club were making membership numbers unlimited. they're now saying that it's unknown whether they'll limit them or not.

I mean, even taking out the multi log ins, that a fucking colossal amount of people, if there's 30000+ members your chance of getting a ticket for games in a ballot is slim, getting a couple together probably miniscule!

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've just got on five minutes ago and was 55,000. :lol:

70,000 now. Fuck that for a game of soldiers.

I've got my membership attached to 3 mates season tickets so hopefully I'll get to a few games when they can't make it. Otherwise it's BeinSports for me! 

Makes you wonder what the point is if that is the case. I hope it’ll get me to a few home games this season but if 50k+ members are logging on every time for the 3-5k or whatever tickets are available for general sale then it’s highly unlikely. 

I previously got them via a group of mates who have a little syndicate going but but he suggestion was it won’t be as easy to get tickets from them this season. 

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Ashley was reviled because he took the piss out of the club. It was never about his ethics or the treatment of staff at SD etc. That was a convenient smoke screen for people like Chi Onwurah to platform on. If he had managed the club well and ambitiously, nobody would have had a problem. But he didn't, as tbd has listed.

PIF are taking the club to another level and have their PR spot on. But they're going to need to maximise revenue for FFP reasons, I doubt they are that bothered on the returns. That's inevitably going to make some people unhappy.

We all know that the regime PIF represent is not compatible with our own ethical code, but for inverse reasons to Ashley, we turn a blind eye. That's because we decompartmentalise things we can't control (club ownership) with things we can. I'd make the following points:

• People can get to fuck judging anyone else. Call me a scab for retaining my ST is ridiculous, it's only football ffs. Similarly to boast or gloat because you have an ST is equally stupid. And personally I fully agree that a substantial proportion of tickets should be held back for non-ST holders, but how they are distributed I don't know. 
  • If you're lucky enough to get a ticket, you'll know the atmosphere is fantastic and there is a strong sense of city unity that you probably have to go back to Keegan to match. Nobody wears tea towels on their heads though, and many people will have no sympathy for the MBS regime. So this demonstrates that people seperate the monetary ownership from the communal ownership in their minds.
  • Saudi is a corrupt state with values significantly different values from the West, of that there is no doubt. But it's not "whataboutery" to discuss states with equally vile human rights records or question why people have no issue not boycotting other parts of the PIF investment portfolio. The fact that people don't again just underlines that these facts just don't matter to them in day to day life. Of course, its quite typical to try to hold football to a higher standard for some reason. Why?
  • Whilst there are many issues with Saudi, most opposition football fans, especially mackems, are completely ignorant about them, like the Yemen civil war. Or worse, outright conspiracy theories about 9/11, or lies about paedophilia. I find the way mackems fetishise this completely undermines their point, and worse, says a lot to who they really are. 
  • Saudi are currently a big disruptor in European football and I am personally uneasy about their setting up the Saudi pro league and creaming some of the best European players. I think UEFA need to closely monitor the situation. 

I mean that's just a longer version of what I said, but aye, I agree wholeheartedly ;) Cognitive dissonance aplenty in some of our fans 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Makes you wonder what the point is if that is the case. I hope it’ll get me to a few home games this season but if 50k+ members are logging on every time for the 3-5k or whatever tickets are available for general sale then it’s highly unlikely. 

I previously got them via a group of mates who have a little syndicate going but but he suggestion was it won’t be as easy to get tickets from them this season. 

I think the changes they have made mean it will be harder to get a ticket next season.

Season ticket holders can pass their's on but members getting one in the ballot cant...