a ticket thread....

thebrokendoll

I wrapped it when Rafa left because I didn't have the energy for another round of what I knew was coming, spending a couple of grand for the pleasure. I knew we'd get taken over eventually and I accepted it'd be extremely difficult to return after the bastard had gone, but I'm still fucking delighted with how things have panned out.

Now I don't even attempt to buy tickets from the club - it looks a right stress. I get there occasionally through corporate/people I know with tickets who can't make it and when I don't, c'est la vie. Made my choice.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Dougle said:

Aye you are correct my choice of the word scab was rather excessive. My sentiment remains unchanged though.  

Regardless as to why folk genuinely did stop going, the drop in ticket sales did seem mysteriously close to Ashly finally slinging his hook after years and years of the ‘Ashly looking to sell the club’ bullshit patter they fed us through the press.

He knew he could only pull off the free ticket thing the once, and the sight of huge swathes of empty seats in the ground every time we featured on Sky would end up screwing  over whatever ‘positive’ publicity he thought his precious sports direct was getting.

Okay, I see where you're coming from. I respectfully disagree though, I don't think he gave a shit about the impression of empty seats, it was mainly about TV money for him. Maybe I'm forgetting, but the half season tickets still had you buying the other half didn't they? I guess getting bums on seats also sells more pies and pints, so was just a lazy way of making money. I just don't see the connection between empty seats and publicity for SD, we were never going to be anywhere near the levels on pink seats seen at the SoL, and Sky focus on the lower tiers and hoardings which would always be full.

Could be argued that a full stadium was a positive selling point to investors wanting to take us over too. I don't see how an empty stadium could help there. All in the past now anyway. 

Aye, the empty seats were a drop in the ocean for the club cash wise. Ashley sold up because he'd fluked getting promoted back to the PL twice. He knew the 3rd time might have ended up with us doing a Leeds and he was happy to get rid 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

I wrapped it when Rafa left because I didn't have the energy for another round of what I knew was coming, spending a couple of grand for the pleasure. I knew we'd get taken over eventually and I accepted it'd be extremely difficult to return after the bastard had gone, but I'm still fucking delighted with how things have panned out.

Now I don't even attempt to buy tickets from the club - it looks a right stress. I get there occasionally through corporate/people I know with tickets who can't make it and when I don't, c'est la vie. Made my choice.

Aye, my last league game was the Liverpool game immediately after they sacked Hughton- and I only went to that as I’d promised a lad I knew who was a Scouse gimp that I’d go with him. 

Took Fist Jnr. to a cup game under Rafa, Preston I think, we won 6-0 or something. 

Ashley wasn’t just responsible for fucking our club, he had a big hand in fucking a lot of people’s connection with the game, mine included. 

I’ll probably try to get to a game with the nipper next season, but I can’t see me ever trying for a ST again. 

• Like 1

We can only speculate as to why he decided to sell when he did, but the notable drop in ticket sales has to be at least part of the reason he decided to go when he did.

He took the piss for as long as he did because it seemed he could. When folk started voting with their feet he knew his time was swiftly running out.

4 minutes ago, Dougle said:

We can only speculate as to why he decided to sell when he did, but the notable drop in ticket sales has to be at least part of the reason he decided to go when he did.

He took the piss for as long as he did because it seemed he could. When folk started voting with their feet he knew his time was swiftly running out.

Someone offering him real money was the be all and end all of him selling. 

• Like 2

They've released a new FAQ about how ticket ballots will work for members . You can apply with a load of friends to get tickets seated together, but it only goes down as one number in the draw.  

Not clear if you could all do that (and what would happen if more than one of you was successful), or whether your membership number is only allowed one entry in the ballot.

At least it will stop people logging on with 8 devices and bragging they got 12 tickets together (which I suspect is the plan)

Got talking to an older NUFC fan in Spain last night. He said he'd been a season ticket holder for 16 years through the 90s and jacked his ticket in under Ashley. Him and a few of his mates at work did the same and now none of them can get to games anymore. 

It's sad and reminded me of the posts HMHM and TBD made a few days ago. I think I'm probably a bit blinkered as to how things were pre-Ashley. I was too young to go games on my own for most of the 90s, and then lived away from the North East until 2005. So the Ashley years are by and large my barometer as a match going adult. Apologies if I came across as being on the wind up the other day. I totally get why people sacked off the club under Ashley. 

Out of interest, would people be up for a new 80k seat stadium if it meant everyone who wanted a ticket could get one? 

Edited by Kid Dynamite
  • Like 8

17 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Got talking to an older NUFC fan in Spain last night. He said he'd been a season ticket holder for 16 years through the 90s and jacked his ticket in under Ashley. Him and a few of his mates at work did the same and now none of them can get to games anymore. 

It's sad and reminded me of the posts HMHM and TBD made a few days ago. I think I'm probably a bit blinkered as to how things were pre-Ashley. I was too young to go games on my own for most of the 90s, and then lived away from the North East until 2005. So the Ashley years are by and large my barometer as a match going adult. Apologies if I came across as being on the wind up the other day. I totally get why people sacked off the club under Ashley. 

Out of interest, would people be up for a new 80k seat stadium if it meant everyone who wanted a ticket could get one? 

They should move heaven and earth to revisit and revise the 90s plan with new modern tweaks, extra capacity and build as close as possible behind the leazes end so keep SJP in action until the new one is built. When SJP is demolished make it as green as possible to help replace what the new stadium displaces. 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

They should move heaven and earth to revisit and revise the 90s plan with new modern tweaks, extra capacity and build as close as possible behind the leazes end so keep SJP in action until the new one is built. When SJP is demolished make it as green as possible to help replace what the new stadium displaces. 

having seen a few clips of Atlanta’s Mercedes stadium, which Darren Eales oversaw, I’m inclined to agree. It looked spectacular.

I can see the Saudis wanting to build something similar for us but if they do I sincerely hope they keep us in the city centre 

• Like 1

On 27/07/2023 at 17:50, Gemmill said:

UM in turmoil. :lol:

Not really. I've got my son a season ticket so the need to pile in at 10am on a given day is gone! 

This isn't a better (although it is highly lucrative for the club) system in my opinion. Get a bad feeling the club's policy is being guided by NUST. 

On 29/07/2023 at 09:51, Kid Dynamite said:

I'd love to stay at SJP but realistically I think we have to move and, as Howmanheyman says, that plan in the 90s is the first option they should explore.

You get some selfish cunts who've maybe only known SJP as it is now and who critically, have a ST, who say it can't be moved full stop, won't be the same etc yet for me personally, as long as the stadium was as near as damn it to where it is now then so what? For me, there's only the upper part of the east stand that is still there from my first game, for others even that would've been new. It's selfishness basically. Move anywhere? Of course not. Move a stone's throw up the road? We'd be insane not to as a club. 

• Like 7

On 29/07/2023 at 10:13, Howmanheyman said:

Do you mean building on Leazes Park? Is this an option? I think Alex reminded us it was grade 1 listed. It's currently a dump but really the only city centre park. I don't think the town moor or nuns moor are options for similar reasons, and are too far away in any case imo. The Arena is a less convenient option for transport and the town centre and apparently is too small. Anything further or outside the city boundaries can out get to fuck, its the central location that makes SJP special. I still think redevlopment of the Gallowgate and East stands are most likely. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Do you mean building on Leazes Park? Is this an option? I think Alex reminded us it was grade 1 listed. It's currently a dump but really the only city centre park. I don't think the town moor or nuns moor are options for similar reasons, and are too far away in any case imo. The Arena is a less convenient option for transport and the town centre and apparently is too small. Anything further or outside the city boundaries can out get to fuck, its the central location that makes SJP special. I still think redevlopment of the Gallowgate and East stands are most likely. 

It’s Grade II listed. But I don’t think there are many Victorian Parks outside of London either. Leazes Terrace is Grade I listed. 
The original plans that Dolly Potter and co objected to were on Castle Leazes which is adjacent to it. It’s common land which is in the hands of the Freemen of the city who act as trustees I think. But I think the main stumbling block was the residents’ objections. I’m not sure of the other potential issues weren’t raised because the plan never got that far or if it was only the residents standing in the way of it. 

Seem to remember someone at the time suggested that Castle Leazes was a red herring and it was basically run up a flagpole to scare the council into agreeing to pass the plans for the Leazes End expansion . Don’t think it got much further than a few drawings in the Chronicle :cuppa:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Seem to remember someone at the time suggested that Castle Leazes was a red herring and it was basically run up a flagpole to scare the council into agreeing to pass the plans for the Leazes End expansion . Don’t think it got much further than a few drawings in the Chronicle :cuppa:

If you look at current maps I don’t think there’s enough room there anyway. Unless they buy the student accommodation off the university. I definitely think the proposed plan to move to Gateshead was a red herring back then btw. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

This ticketing scheme is a total shambles. The kind of thing that could only be spewed from the brain of bonafide Tories 

Just reading comments on Twitter… not many from members of NUFC trust, who appear to be quiet today 😏