Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

It would be annoying if ASM did end up at somewhere like Spurs and play much better for them than he ever did for us, thus following the Ginola path. Of all our French wingers Robert had the most end product. The rest have generally flattered to deceive, albeit while  scoring a few unbelievable goals. 

3 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

It would be annoying if ASM did end up at somewhere like Spurs and play much better for them than he ever did for us, thus following the Ginola path. Of all our French wingers Robert had the most end product. The rest have generally flattered to deceive, albeit while  scoring a few unbelievable goals. 

If he isn't going to graft for Howe, he wont last long with Conte.

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

If he isn't going to graft for Howe, he wont last long with Conte.

Probably, but on the other hand he might at least for a season follow Conte's instruction because of peer pressure from team mates, and seeing Conte as a bigger name than Howe. He'd likely revert to past bad habits after a while though. Hopefully if he stays he proves me wrong this season, and Howe gets a tune out of him. 

Edited by Polarboy

15 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

The problem is, ASM doesn't beat 3 men and curl one in the bottom corner enough.  He goes into a blind alley, loses the ball and puts the threat back onto us.  

No, because if he did, he'd be Messi and not playing for a midtable PL side. 

Come on man Wykiki, this is daft. ASM is a phenomenally talented attacking player, he's been mint for us and leads the league (outside the top 6) for chances created. ASM has dribbled past more players (150) than anyone else in the league, the next closest is Dwight McNeil (82). He's 8th for progressive carries, 4th for carries into the final 3rd, 5th for carries into the penalty area, 8th for fouls drawn.

Of all the positions in the squad, his should not be the one we're looking for replacements just yet. Almiron, Fernandez, Fraser, Lascelles, Longstaff, Murphy, Schar, Shelvey, Willock, Wood. All of them are less effective in their positions than ASM and more easily improved upon.

• Like 1

Newcastle and Leicester race to sign Ludovic Ajorque - sources (footballinsider247.com)

Football Insider sauces  say we're interested in some giant centre forward off Strasbourg. He's 28 and is an out and out number 9, so he doesn't seem to fit the profile, then again Howe did say he was flexible depending on who was available. In any case he has impressive numbers this past two season for a mid to low level team in Ligue 1. 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

ASM maybe? He looked more dangerous under Bruce, mainly because the rest of the side was camped on the edge of our own box and the game plan was pretty much: give them ball to Maxi

Improve him though? I don’t think you could say he progressed under him. He seemed to have a good relationship with Bruce and he performed for him, which is obviously a positive for which some credit is due to the manager. 

Edited by Alex

20 minutes ago, ewerk said:

"Al, you get the ball and do whatever you want with it" was about the extent of Bruce's coaching of ASM and is exactly what the player wanted to hear.

22 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Bruce accidentally did a slightly better than entirely subpar job with ASM.

That's about as much credit as I've got for him.

Basically him and Wilson were his get out of jail free cards. I’m not really giving him much in the way of credit for that. 

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Seems like it would probably be a loan if there's any truth to that, and despite his profligacy for Chelsea there is a player in there somewhere, and his versatility across the front three is something we are looking for. I wouldn't want us to spend decent money on buying him, but a loan would be a very low risk way of seeing if a change of scenery would help in regards to his form.   

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Improve him though? I don’t think you could say he progressed under him. He seemed to have a good relationship with Bruce and he performed for him, which is obviously a positive for which some credit is due to the manager. 

Think it's fair to say that nobody improved under Bruce, some plateaued, and some players' performances went off the fucking cliff.

• Haha 2

Apparently Werner is on 272,000 a week at Chelsea 😂 He can jog on like, fucking hell, no club is going to pay that. Fat Frank's legacy at play. The only way it would work is if Chelsea subsidised over half his wages, and from Tuchel's comments he's annoyed that Werner is even complaining about his game time. 

3 hours ago, Alex said:

yeah, improve probably isn’t the right word. I suppose what I was getting at is ASM is one of the few players who hasn’t improved under Howe and actually looked more comfortable under the cabbage 

• Like 1

On 24/07/2022 at 22:24, Alex said:

I did hear a story years ago where SBR wanted to try and find out who was the mole who kept feeding the press stories and it turned out it was Shepherd :lol: 

no wonder inspector bruce was never able to pin down the culprit giving  craig hope his stories....

fucker was getting them via an ouija board.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season