Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Watford have not received a second bid from Newcastle United for Joao Pedro, the Watford Observer understands.

After an initial approach in the region of £20million was rejected earlier this week, reports this evening have claimed the Magpies have come back with a second offer of £22m plus £3m in add-ons - and this has also been spurned.

However, this newspaper understands there has not been a second bid contrary to reports elsewhere.

There have been ongoing reports since Tuesday that the Premier League club have been set to table an improved offer.

Commenting on the speculation ahead this morning ahead of Saturday’s trip to Preston North End, head coach Rob Edwards said: “There has a been a bid in for Joao that’s been talked about. It’s not anywhere near the level that we’d expect it to be for him, but I’m involved in that conversation and if anything else was to come in again we’ll sit down and talk about it as a club and as a board.”

Robot Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

It should be remembered that we still have until end of day 1st of September to get deals done. Clubs minds become much more focused on coming and goings in the last week of a window. We signed Targett, Burn and Guimaraes in the last few days of the January window. Watford are also likely identifying and lining up replacements for Pedro should they decide to sell, so that could considerably slow down proceedings.

I have thought this for a while. I expect to see 2-3 signings in the final week 

• Like 2

I'm pleased our new owners won't be held to ransom regarding potential player valuations. But I honestly thought players would have been tripping over themselves to join the club. Given the  ambitions the owners have for the club. 

• Like 1

I think most of those who are more expensive would want Champions League (or at least some European competition), while those lower down the scale may want to come but their clubs won't release them unless stupid money is paid.

34 minutes ago, trooper said:

I'm pleased our new owners won't be held to ransom regarding potential player valuations. But I honestly thought players would have been tripping over themselves to join the club. Given the  ambitions the owners have for the club. 

not while we’re sticking to a strict wage structure. It’ll come in time but they want to do it the right way: a slow build rather than throwing a fortune at it overnight. Imagine the reaction if they had tried to do another Chelsea or Man City build when we’re supposed to be respecting FFP.

I suspect we’ll sign a piss-taking commercial deal next summer which will change the game and lead to sanctimonious uproar from the usual suspects 

Edited by Dr Gloom

1 hour ago, trooper said:

There's 3 key drivers for why decent players will want to join a particular club

• Wages
  • To play in a specific competition (i.e. champions league)
  • To play their part in building a project

We've made it clear, and rightly so that we're not going to pay over the odds for any mercenaries which rules out the first point. I think it's probably the reason why we (and West Ham for that matter) walked away from signing Lingard. 

We're not currently in a position to offer the second point, which leaves us with the third. And the players that fall into that bracket are somewhat niche. They're basically committing themselves to a project for the medium to long term which means they're less likely to be there to reap the benefits of it. Look at Trippier for instance - soon to be 32. If we do get to the levels we aspire to then he's not likely to be still playing for us when we do. Takes a very selfless individual to commit to that endeavour. 

There'll be plenty of players 'tripping over themselves to join the club', but these are neither the type of players we want, nor need.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Craig said:

There's 3 key drivers for why decent players will want to join a particular club

• Wages

We've made it clear, and rightly so that we're not going to pay over the odds for any mercenaries which rules out the first point. I think it's probably the reason why we (and West Ham for that matter) walked away from signing Lingard. 

We're not currently in a position to offer the second point, which leaves us with the third. And the players that fall into that bracket are somewhat niche. They're basically committing themselves to a project for the medium to long term which means they're less likely to be there to reap the benefits of it. Look at Trippier for instance - soon to be 32. If we do get to the levels we aspire to then he's not likely to be still playing for us when we do. Takes a very selfless individual to commit to that endeavour. 

There'll be plenty of players 'tripping over themselves to join the club', but these are neither the type of players we want, nor need.

Jay Z Applause GIF

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Craig said:

• Wages

what she said yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Craig said:

• Wages

This is exactly how I feel, but I can't deny a bit of me is a bit disappointed the Saudis haven't taken the LIV golf route and gone fuck it here's a Billion for Mbappe

• Haha 4

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season