Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

You’re probably right, but because he was out wide often with more defensive duties than he’d like he did tuck in a lot alongside Batty and Watson would gallop up  or Lee would swap etc :good:

either way, he wasn’t where you’d want your “number 10” to be. He was lethal when he was played just behind either Cole or Sir Les 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJS said:

From what I've read when we were the kings of football in Edwardian times and for a few decades more to a degree, the number 5 was the main man of the team and not just a defender - probably just like Beckenbauer etc. 

We had Andy Aitken followed by Colin Veitch there in those glory days. 

You’re absolutely right I think, the best player in the school played that position for us :lol:

46 minutes ago, ackas said:

I dont remember the time when half backs where a thing. I'm presuming thats the position that John Stones has been occupying for City recently?

If so, I wonder if we are looking for a centre half that can fulfill that role for us?

Makes the Maguire rumours I heard today a bit more understandable, if so.

Although, that signing would be a strenuous test of Eddie's miraculous transformative powers...

Botman is class but I’d probably say one area of weakness is he isn’t lightning fast. I can’t see Maguire being a target as that would only exacerbate that. Plus he’s fucking shite 

• Haha 6

By coincidence I watched a Maguire lowlight reel the other days and he definitely sees himself as something of a 6 based on how this convo is defining things. All these marauding runs from the back (with no end product other than eventually falling over) and so on.

He was apparently a midfielder initially though which explains why he fancies himself that way. Honestly though, and appreciating I've only seen the lowlights, he looks like someone we should be furiously avoiding... kicking teammates in the head, dragging teammates to the floor while they're trying to defend, dribbling the ball pointless in a circle in his own half for 10 seconds before hopelessly giving the ball away, appealing for handball against his own team... just no.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

By coincidence I watched a Maguire lowlight reel the other days and he definitely sees himself as something of a 6 based on how this convo is defining things. All these marauding runs from the back (with no end product other than eventually falling over) and so on.

He was apparently a midfielder initially though which explains why he fancies himself that way. Honestly though, and appreciating I've only seen the lowlights, he looks like someone we should be furiously avoiding... kicking teammates in the head, dragging teammates to the floor while they're trying to defend, dribbling the ball pointless in a circle in his own half for 10 seconds before hopelessly giving the ball away, appealing for handball against his own team... just no.

he's a weird one because he's looked good for england in the big tournaments, which explains why southgate persists with him despite him looking a total donkey since signing for man u 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

he's a weird one because he's looked good for england in the big tournaments, which explains why southgate persists with him despite him looking a total donkey since signing for man u 

Was apparently ok in his first season with Man U, they had a strong defensive record compared to the previous season - was under Ole. But aye, since then he's dropped off hugely for some reason or another.

I don’t think he looked that good at the last World Cup or the Euros. I appreciate he gets in because of a lack of alternatives but he’s not exposed as much because Southgate recognises he’s slow so the defence plays deeper as a result. He also had a few games where Rio Ferdinand pulled out the ‘Maguire has proven his critics’ wrong (and I think Neville stuck up for him too). But I thought they were ropey performances where he made some poor decisions that came off where he got lucky at set pieces etc. 

• Like 1

According to some Spanish publication we've stuck in a 30m bid for Ferran Torres off Barca. Most likely bollocks, but a versatile forward who can play across the front three is the profile we've supposedly been after for a long time. You could argue that Isak is that player, but we do need a versatile Wood replacement/more consistent alternative to Almiron, and I think both Isak and Wilson more than cover the 9 spot. Maybe Diego21 could tell us if Mundo Deportivo are reliable or not and give any other insights he might have. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 2

I’m fairly sure Maguire normally plays left sided CB, which we’ve locked down with Botman and Burn, we’d be looking for a right sided one. The Maguire rumours are simply journalists hoping other people take on Manchester United’s dog shit, the blokes reportedly on £250k a week man no one’s taking those wages on. 

• Like 3

Just now, Howay said:

I’m fairly sure Maguire normally plays left sided CB, which we’ve locked down with Botman and Burn, we’d be looking for a right sided one. The Maguire rumours are simply journalists hoping other people take on Manchester United’s dog shit, the blokes reportedly on £250k a week man no one’s taking those wages on. 

He’s predominantly right-footed but usually plays on the left of the CB partnership I think. I almost posted the same about the stories being to generate interest too 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

I don’t think he looked that good at the last World Cup or the Euros. I appreciate he gets in because of a lack of alternatives but he’s not exposed as much because Southgate recognises he’s slow so the defence plays deeper as a result. He also had a few games where Rio Ferdinand pulled out the ‘Maguire has proven his critics’ wrong (and I think Neville stuck up for him too). But I thought they were ropey performances where he made some poor decisions that came off where he got lucky at set pieces etc. 

Southgate’s loyalty to certain players is ludicrous and I wouldn’t have started him but I remember him being canny, which surprised me given his league form going into it. He wasn’t even starting games, he was that bad at Man U. Didn’t drop any clangers, distribution from the back was decent. 

Maguire :lol: Signing him would be ridiculous enough to throw a big question mark on Eddie and the management despite what they've done so far. 

Worse than the McTomniay rumor. He would be uninspiring, but at least not total dog shite. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

Someone forgot to tell Feyenoord they’re meant to be MLFs 

aye. never fear though, there'll be a mackem equivalent of aupa alaves stinking out the streets of rotterdam who'll be along very soon to correct feyenoord on their entire footballing history. lucky them! 

• Haha 4

Bit of a step up from Hearts in terms of pedigree for coaching and producing players. We can only hope it goes better than Kuol's loan, but you'd assume Minteh is a fair bit ahead of him in terms of development given the level of the club he's going to, even if they're basically the same age. 

Edited by Polarboy

Feyenoord. :lol: Although saying that, how many places could he go that didn't have some historical MLF connection? There's very few out there that haven't been touched by the hand of a marra. 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Have you gone blind recently?

no, I don’t particularly rate Maguire and there are players who should be starting ahead of him for England given he can’t even get a game for his club anymore but he’s never let Southgate down in the big tournaments so I sort of get the weird loyalty. sbr was the same to a degree when he kept picking butcher when he was past his best. 

Someone pointing out that Edwards was saying we were going to scrap the cautious approach only a few weeks ago, to now in the last day or so stating that we can only afford two big signings. 

• Haha 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season