Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

longstaff? not sure, we're into football manager territory now, but you'd expect at least £20m in this market for an english player with his amount of PL experience wouldn't you? 

I meant Anderson. 

Longstaff, yeah I think because his PL experience you could demand closer to £30m. Transfermarkt says €25m for Longstaff, €13m for Anderson, for whatever that's worth.

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I meant Anderson. 

Longstaff, yeah I think because his PL experience you could demand closer to £30m. Transfermarkt says €25m for Longstaff, €13m for Anderson, for whatever that's worth.

another reason why selling anderson at this stage is kind of pointless. give him another season or two to impress before we decide to cash in or not. his value will only go up as he gets more minutes in the PL

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

another reason why selling anderson at this stage is kind of pointless. give him another season or two to impress before we decide to cash in or not. his value will only go up as he gets more minutes in the PL

Unless we get European football next season, and at this stage it's unlikely, we won't need all of them, which makes it even more likely two of the current first team midfielders will go. I'm interested to hear others alternatives?

2 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Unless we get European football next season, and at this stage it's unlikely, we won't need all of them, which makes it even more likely two of the current first team midfielders will go. I'm interested to hear others alternatives?

anderson isn't just a midfielder, he can play out wide too.

i'd sell miggy or murphy before i let anderson go - you'd get more of a transfer fee and they're both of an age where you know that the level they're at is the highest they're going to get to.

anderson has unrealised potential. he may not make it as a top PL player but he needs more minutes before we make that call. i want to how he develops under howe and tindall. 

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I reckon we could get closer to £25m for Anderson, more if he goes on to have an impact towards the end of this season. For all his value may go up with more minutes, I don't think he'll get a load of minutes at Newcastle. As I said he's behind at least 4 of our midfielders, and his best position/role isn't one that Howe utilises. He wants to play as a 10, or a narrow left sided attacker. But Gordon, Barnes have the left flank sewn up, and we don't play a 10.

50 minutes ago, sammynb said:

It's kind of where the club is though, isn't it?

Ashley left the squad in such a state that any glimmer of local talent, is currently worth more as a saleable asset.

Think of the shite that are still on the books and worth nothing: Hayden, Hendrick, Fraser, Lewis - only Hendrick is off the books at the end of this season.

It was more that a club with no actual financial issues might have to sell a local lad they’d rather keep / develop to satisfy FFP. I totally take your point though. 

Send him on loan to Sunderland and he’ll be worth about £30m within a few weeks 👍🏻

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I reckon we could get closer to £25m for Anderson, more if he goes on to have an impact towards the end of this season. For all his value may go up with more minutes, I don't think he'll get a load of minutes at Newcastle. As I said he's behind at least 4 of our midfielders, and his best position/role isn't one that Howe utilises. He wants to play as a 10, or a narrow left sided attacker. But Gordon, Barnes have the left flank sewn up, and we don't play a 10.

he could cover wide right too, no? he seems comfortable with both feet, unlike our current first choice RW. 

he has a lot of things going for him - his versatility, age and high technical ceiling. i'd be disappointed if FFP forces us let him go before he gets a real chance in the first team. look how miley impressed this season when given the chance. that could have been anderson. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

It was more that a club with no actual financial issues might have to sell a local lad they’d rather keep / develop to satisfy FFP. I totally take your point though. 

hd reference GIF

• Haha 1

I can see the potential sake of Bruno and starting the first game of next season with Longstaff in our midfield going down absolutely swimmingly with our younger social media based support ☺️

3 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

I read on Twitter that he has been playing injured for a couple of months now. He needs injections to get through games and an operation in the summer.

if that’s true then admire him for not wanting to let the team down. Playing injured is a thankless task as his performances will get picked apart and there is nothing he can do.

Makes total sense that.  Hence why I asked in the Brothers Dim Thread :cuppa:

7 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

anderson isn't just a midfielder, he can play out wide too.

i'd sell miggy or murphy before i let anderson go - you'd get more of a transfer fee and they're both of an age where you know that the level they're at is the highest they're going to get to.

anderson has unrealised potential. he may not make it as a top PL player but he needs more minutes before we make that call. i want to how he develops under howe and tindall. 

Agree with this. Unless someone comes in with a silly 20M+ bid I can see the club thinking along the same lines. If he stays fit and we make it into Europe he should get more playing time next season. 

I agree with the sentiment he might have been overhyped a litte bit, he does have some good qualities. Whether he's able to develop those into something that could see him break into the first team is another matter. Bruno, Joe, Willock, Tonali are physically on a completely different level than many established PL midfielders let alone youngsters trying to break into the starting eleven. 

A versatile squad player in another, hopefully, busy season is still something we need though and could tell us a lot more about how good he really could be.

Edited by aimaad22

8 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

he could cover wide right too, no? he seems comfortable with both feet, unlike our current first choice RW. 

Miggy is comfortable with neither foot that’s basically the same, isn’t it?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

I think Hope is making the Hall info up as that isn't a quote.

It wouldn't be a bad thing, there is definitely a good player in there. I bet there is something hinky in the deal and if he plays under a certain number of minutes we might get him for less or the actual price we all think he is coming in at is wrong and Chelsea are that desperate, Howe thinks he can fleece Ashworth once his shoes are under the table at Man U.

Hasn't Howe already more or less said that Hall will be here next season anyway, albeit indirectly.

He said something to the tune of he has helped out short term and we expect him to be a big part of the club's future - this was before new year.

On 07/03/2024 at 21:24, Dr Gloom said:

he has a lot of things going for him - his versatility, age and high technical ceiling. i'd be disappointed if FFP forces us let him go before he gets a real chance in the first team. look how miley impressed this season when given the chance. that could have been anderson. 

Miley will prove to be much much better than Anderson (and is already a much more rounded player).  I'd love Anderson to be good but whenever he's had a chance on the field he's consistently almost been good, as in he'll do two good things and then one bad (poor pass, or bad shot), the only exception I recall has been a preseason game this season. There's no way we'd get anywhere near £25m that's laughable. I wouldn't say he's versatile at all as we've not seen anything from him in terms of defensive ability.

He's 21. Hall is 19, Miley is 17. Miley and Hall both have done a lot more in first team games than Anderson.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OTF said:

Miley will prove to be much much better than Anderson (and is already a much more rounded player).  I'd love Anderson to be good but whenever he's had a chance on the field he's consistently almost been good, as in he'll do two good things and then one bad (poor pass, or bad shot), the only exception I recall has been a preseason game this season. There's no way we'd get anywhere near £25m that's laughable. I wouldn't say he's versatile at all as we've not seen anything from him in terms of defensive ability.

He's 21. Hall is 19, Miley is 17. Miley and Hall both have done a lot more in first team games than Anderson.

Re the latter point, I think that's chiefly because of the way we play. Miley is a real central midfielder, Hall is a versatile LB/CM, but Anderson's best position or role aren't used by Howe. So he's needing to learn a new way of playing in the few minutes he's getting. 

If a bottom half of the PL club come in for him next season I could see him going on loan, but a fee would have to be silly for it to be accepted simply because the only reason to sell him is to expand the PSR/FFP envelope and why sell for £15m wriggle room? It's not worth it.

• Like 1

Miley is an exception. Not many young players are able to slot straight into the first team and but for circumstances he wouldn’t be either. 

Look at the way Pep eased Foden into the first team. Everyone could see he had the talent but clearly he still had things to learn before Pep could trust him to start regularly and you can see this season how he has been developing.

• Like 2

Anderson isn't quick or fit enough to play on the wing and especially not in an Eddie Howe team.

He'd be far more suited to playing in an European league, Italy or France, in his natural AM position.

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 2

I think we are writing him off a bit early here. His injury record is a big concern for me. I’d like to see him after a run of games in the same position when fully fit. I’d rather he was in the team than Miley at the moment (although that might not be the case in 2 years time)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Miley is an exception. Not many young players are able to slot straight into the first team and but for circumstances he wouldn’t be either. 

Look at the way Pep eased Foden into the first team. Everyone could see he had the talent but clearly he still had things to learn before Pep could trust him to start regularly and you can see this season how he has been developing.

Absolutely and had we had a full compliment of midfielders he wouldn't have played half as much at 17. But Anderson is 21, the same age as Willock was when we loaned him from Arsenal, and he doesn't look as close to the first team as either of them.

• Like 1

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

I think we are writing him off a bit early here. His injury record is a big concern for me. I’d like to see him after a run of games in the same position when fully fit. I’d rather he was in the team than Miley at the moment (although that might not be the case in 2 years time)

Tbf, his injury record so far is a niggling injury last season he tried to play through and made worse and a broken back which can't really be accounted for.

He was looking a lot fitter, stronger and composed in the minutes he got before his injury this season and was starting to look like he could cut it at this level so I agree it's a bit early to write him off. If Longstaff is still struggling with an injury, with Tonali and Joelinton out for the remainder of the season and with Bruno having a two match suspension hanging over him you'd think there's going to be plenty of game time between now and the end of the season for him to get a chance.

8 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Tbf, his injury record so far is a niggling injury last season he tried to play through and made worse and a broken back which can't really be accounted for.

He was looking a lot fitter, stronger and composed in the minutes he got before his injury this season and was starting to look like he could cut it at this level so I agree it's a bit early to write him off. If Longstaff is still struggling with an injury, with Tonali and Joelinton out for the remainder of the season and with Bruno having a two match suspension hanging over him you'd think there's going to be plenty of game time between now and the end of the season for him to get a chance.

I just don't think he's got what it takes to play in the number 8 role for Howe.