Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

no spring chicken but he has scored goals throughout his career - why not? 

I'd be looking to off load Wood on that basis, as they are trying to reduce the average age, but don't think that will happen.  They would still need another younger player for the wing.

4 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

I'd be looking to off load Wood on that basis, as they are trying to reduce the average age, but don't think that will happen.  They would still need another younger player for the wing.

100%. Nothing wrong with having an experienced striker on the books, but we will have spent £50mil+ on two strikers in their 30s in the space of six months. 

• Like 3

Hopefully a lot less is the 15m that was being floated about the other day for Zapata, if the story is accurate. If we sign him it blows the we're only after someone who can play out wide as well as up front, and is under 26 out of the water. But perhaps it's got to the point where we've had to change tactics after missing out on first, second, third choice even, of that profile of player. Obviously it's not my money, but I'd share the reluctance to spend so much on Wood and now this guy, when they're both north of thirty. The question is how many years at the top level does this guy have. If we could get two good seasons out of him at 15m or there abouts it would be well worth it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’s been an unbelievable turnaround by Krafth. Manquillo looked a much better option just a few months ago.

I’d still be happy to keep him as a squad player. He offers decent cover for both full back positions and has never let us down 

Yeah I can't believe I'm saying that about Krafth, but credit where it is due.

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I don't claim to be ITK like, but a pal works at Thorpe Arch with Leeds and apparently we have been in touch with Leeds re Harrison in the last 24h

tenor.gif

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Proof that clubs as well as players and agents are trying to take the piss.

Our time will come.

That’s Reims in the little black book

The Office Ryan GIF

• Like 3

Interesting comments from Howe after the match. Effectively, if we can't buy players in the positions we want then me may decide to strengthen other areas of the team to improve the overall squad.

I may be reading too much into it, but Paqueta could be the back up if we can't find a decent striker or winger 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Interesting comments from Howe after the match. Effectively, if we can't buy players in the positions we want then me may decide to strengthen other areas of the team to improve the overall squad.

I may be reading too much into it, but Paqueta could be the back up if we can't find a decent striker or winger 

Agreed, he could also be staying on message with the clubs push back against the view clubs have that there’s a bottomless pit of money. If we had the defence we have, with a Bruno, Joe, and Paqueta midfield, then bought or loaned a lower target RW like Sarr, Cornet, Hudson-Odoi I think we’d have enough up top with all the creativity and the ability to keep the line of possession higher up the pitch. 

• Like 1

He's arguably rawer than even Ekitike if you look at his age, stats, starts etc. 19 year old kid although he turns 20 at the end of the month, 36 apps for Bordeaux, but only 9 of those were starts, 7 goals, 4 assists. It's out of left field to say the least, but if Atletico are after him as well he's probably decent, they have top class scouts. Who knows how legit this French twatter bloke is, but if we are actually after him, we clearly aren't afraid of potentially having to be patient for a kid like this to mature. Then again Ashworth literally wanted to buy Nunez before he went to Benfica, so he knows more than me 🧐

Arsenal are supposedly ready to allow Pepe to be sold for a third of what they paid for him, with a bid of between 20 to 25m enough to get him. Leeds are reportedly interested in making a bid. I'm not sure what went wrong for Pepe, but he's definitely a very talented player on his day, and his record in France before he got his move was insane. I wouldn't doubt Howe if he thought he could get him back to something approaching that form. At the price stated it's probably well worth the risk. The only thing you have to question is if it's an attitude issue, can something like that really be solved. In an ideal world he would come, find form, and cement that right wing spot for himself. He's almost exactly the profile of player we're looking for i.e. goal scoring right winger. He's just a bit older than Howe and co would like with him have just turned 27. 

Edited by Polarboy

4 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Arsenal are supposedly ready to allow Pepe to be sold for a third of what they paid for him, with a bid of between 20 to 25m enough to get him. Leeds are reportedly interested in making a bid. I'm not sure what went wrong for Pepe, but he's definitely a very talented player on his day, and his record in France before he got his move was insane. I wouldn't doubt Howe if he thought he could get him back to something approaching that form. At the price stated it's probably well worth the risk. The only thing you have to question is if it's an attitude issue, can something like that really be solved. In an ideal world he would come, find form, and cement that right wing spot for himself. He's almost exactly the profile of player we're looking for i.e. goal scoring right winger. He's just a bit older than Howe and co would like with him have just turned 27. 

Out GIF - Auf GIFER finden

• Haha 1

If this happens I fully expect we will see upstanding impeccable moral mackems like exile walk away from SAFC, their club would be partly ran by blood money if the deal goes through so they couldn’t possibly keep supporting the club. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

The Knight Rider has said that he asked the club about Asensio and it hasn't been ruled out as of yet. I was under the impression that Asensio was staying at Madrid, but perhaps not. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season