Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

To be clear CT, and it's a sign of how fucking illogical you are that I even have to do this, if you trawl hard enough you'll find similar posts to those examples you've brought up from me! 

You're skewing the narrative though, it's about your inference that not strengthening the front 6 six would render the transfer window 'poor'. It's a ludicrous comment to make. 

If we don't strengthen then it'll be frustrating and disappointing, but not 'poor'. 

Your perspective at times is utterly ridiculous. The level of progress this club has made inside 11 months is unbelievable.  

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

I did say if nothing happens in the last week.

The club is fantastically different to September last year and I love everything about it. 

But you can tell from Eddies interviews and our failed bids that we have been geared up to improve the front 6.

If we don’t then it’s disappointing, given what most of us were hoping at the start of this thread.

Genuinely FYP.

1 minute ago, spongebob toonpants said:

I'd be more disappointed if we spaffed a load of money on players that don't improve us or fit into the new ethos. 

Confident that's not gonna happen though

Aye. The most impressive thing so far is how considered our approach is. As a fan who wants new signings, of course it's a bit frustrating, but when you've got Man United changing their transfer targets due to fan backlash and Everton gatecrashing bids for players at the last second, I would much much rather we continued with our current approach. And look at the shitshow those two clubs have found themselves in. 

I've no doubt there's concern at the club that we haven't got our business done yet. But they'll not panic and bring the wrong people in because they're proper fucking pros. Long may that continue. 

• Like 2

Just now, Gemmill said:

Aye. The most impressive thing so far is how considered our approach is. As a fan who wants new signings, of course it's a bit frustrating, but when you've got Man United changing their transfer targets due to fan backlash and Everton gatecrashing bids for players at the last second, I would much much rather we continued with our current approach. And look at the shitshow those two clubs have found themselves in. 

I've no doubt there's concern at the club that we haven't got our business done yet. But they'll not panic and bring the wrong people in because they're proper fucking pros. Long may that continue. 

Agree with this entirely. 

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

To be clear CT, and it's a sign of how fucking illogical you are that I even have to do this, if you trawl hard enough you'll find similar posts to those examples you've brought up from me! 

You're skewing the narrative though, it's about your inference that not strengthening the front 6 six would render the transfer window 'poor'. It's a ludicrous comment to make. 

If we don't strengthen then it'll be frustrating and disappointing, but not 'poor'. 

Your perspective at times is utterly ridiculous. The level of progress this club has made inside 11 months is unbelievable.  

How much you are having a melt down over the word poor instead of disappointing is illogical to me and tbf I should have carried on with my day. (As I will do now) :lol: 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Debating over whether the window has been good, bad or indifferent over a week before it closes is fucking pointless. 

yup. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see our final two signings made in the last 24-48 hours of the window 

• Like 2

It’s probably been said already, but the sort of players we’ve been after also want to play in the champions league. It’s not as simple

as waving money around, we have to convince them we can meet their ambitions….after being a club with no ambition and a track record of failure and mediocrity for 15 years.

But yeah, we can change all that in 2 or 3 windows. 

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I did say if nothing happens in the last week.

The club is fantastically different to September last year and I love everything about it. 

But you can tell from Eddies interviews and our failed bids that we have been geared up to improve the front 6.

If we don’t then it’s disappointing, given what most of us were expecting at the start of this thread.

Yeah, I get all that. I think my point is it’s very difficult to get the right players because of where we were. I.e. the club being absolutely fucking stinking the division out and heading for the championship. It means you can’t sign top strikers who want CL football. Up and coming ones - yes, but you’re in competition with CL clubs who want them as backups (PSG / Ekitike). As others mention an alternative is to splurge loads and that’s a poor long / medium term policy. Not just FFP but because it starts unravelling everything Howe etc have worked so hard to create. And we don’t need short-term fixes because we’re not desperate. Frustrating, yes but they inherited an almighty mess and they’re fixing it tye right way imo 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Debating over whether the window has been good, bad or indifferent over a week before it closes is fucking pointless. 

That’s the point of this place, mate. Which is not to say you’re wrong ;) 

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Lads man, let's all be nice to one another. We all want the same thing, it's just that some of us are more prone to wild mood swings than others. ;)

Suppose he's at the menopausal stage. :lol:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Lads man, let's all be nice to one another. We all want the same thing, it's just that some of us are more prone to wild mood swings than others. ;)

I'm ok this week, it not that time

Alex is right about a slow build, as frustrating as it might be at times. 

Rebuilding a football club is a lot like  CT trying to get in shape: he can opt for overnight results with fad diets or steroids but it isn’t sustainable and after a year or so he will be back to square one. Much better to go the slow build over time, done in the right way.

It’s becoming a cliche but “trust the process” 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Christmas Tree said:

We need a right winger, a striker and for me, an improvement on Willock.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Which specific players (not positions) and how much should we pay for those specific players (not positions)? 

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Alex is right about a slow build, as frustrating as it might be at times. 

Rebuilding a football club is a lot like  CT trying to get in shape: he can opt for overnight results with fad diets or steroids but it isn’t sustainable and after a year or so he will be back to square one. Much better to go the slow build over time, done in the right way.

It’s becoming a cliche but “trust the process” 

This 100%.

It's about taking baby steps. We have to judge where we are relative to our position at the end of the previous window and so long as we've made progress, then we need to be viewing it in a positive light. 

I get we're all impatient to get to where we want to be - fuck knows 15 years of Mike Ashley understandably intensifies that patience, but there's a lot more too it that going to market and spunking £50-60m on players simply because their names have been bandied around social media or in journalist circles. 

There is significant investment going on in building the foundations of a solid and stable club to not only get us to the level we want to be, but more importantly to be able to sustain it. Improving the training ground facilities, recruiting a first-class professional management structure and offloading high wage earning, below standard players from the payroll has been as crucial as the acquisitions of Pope, Targett & Botman. 

When they first took over, the owners indicated they wanted to be in a position to challenge for the title in 5 years time. They've since revised that to within 10 years. This a long term project and isn't going to deliver overnight, or even within the first couple of seasons. 

A massive amount of perspective is needed plus a total appreciation of the massive progress that's been achieved to date in a crazily short space of time. 

On Sunday we very nearly beat the best team in this country and arguably the best side in Europe. For large periods of the first half we were absolutely dominating them. We have a fucking good side already and any additions need to compliment what we already have and we need to de-risk possibility of destabilisation. 

There are so many dynamics involved in recruiting new players. It's not akin to going down to the local supermarket to buy your weekly shop. If we fail to bring in any additional heads before 11pm next Thursday then it's not automatically down to NUFC not doing what they need to have been doing. The question we need to be asking ourselves is "are we in a better position than we were on June 9th?" Even without another addition, the answer to that question is undeniably 'yes'.

And as others are pointing out, there's still 8 days to go. So much could happen.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

We wouldn't be getting players like Bruno or Botman if we didn't have our sights set high.  But they have bought into the project and the process.  To me that's says a lot.

IMO the aquisitions of Trippier, Bruno and (to a lesser extent) Botman have inadvertently elevated our level of expectation. 

We had absolutely no right to be getting players of that standard on board when we did and it's an absolute credit to the powers that be that we were able to do so.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

:lol:

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY, LIKE?!?!

• Haha 4

I should add a caveat to my earlier comment. Debating the quality of the window over a week before it's over is even more pointless than me posting every transfer rumour going, and far less entertaining 😂👍

• Haha 7

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season