Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

The thing about going to Saudi is that yes you'll be on ridiculous wages compared to what you could command in Europe, but if you're 26 like ASM and perhaps plan to come back after your contract, are teams going to be clambering to buy you after playing at that level for three or four years. 

It seems they're getting a number of high quality players around that age though so they're lifting the overall quality of the league substantially. This looks to be a completely different scale now than anything the MLS or China has tried to do.

And with each new signing the next one become a little more likely because players see so many of their peers moving down there.

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

“Hi Alan, we’ve  agreed a fee of 40 mill with Al-Allahabad Athletic for you , you’re free to speak to them” 

“I want to stay!” 

image.gif.4060ee1a3a4c7bd972320cfc60e7b625.gif

“Alan, we’ve agreed a fee of 40 mill with Al-Allahabad Athletic for you, you’re free to speak to them” 

:cuppa:

Saudi’dYP

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Would make sense 

Aye was going to say FFP works that way, it’s why Grealish being sold for £100m has allowed Villa to spend massively the last few years. We’d have the full £40m or so gain, and Barnes impact would be £40m divided by 6 so about £6.5m for the year and then the difference between wages of the two players. So it would free up a load of spending power. 

15 minutes ago, Howay said:

So the club has told Keith to push that out because they've got some other CB on the hook and they're asking questions about this Disasi kid. 

If Gordon is going to nail down that RW spot and Barnes will take the LW, then I still think we need a versatile forward. Someone like Pedro, who we of course were supposedly close to signing and who's ended up at Brighton. Someone who can play attacking mid, 10, and up front on their own, should we be unlucky enough to lose Wilson and Isak to injury at the same time. Gordon could arguably be our third striker given his efforts in the U21 tournament and previously for Everton, but it would be nice to have another option that's a bit more physically suited to the role. 

20 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

If Gordon is going to nail down that RW spot and Barnes will take the LW, then I still think we need a versatile forward. Someone like Pedro, who we of course were supposedly close to signing and who's ended up at Brighton. Someone who can play attacking mid, 10, and up front on their own, should we be unlucky enough to lose Wilson and Isak to injury at the same time. Gordon could arguably be our third striker given his efforts in the U21 tournament and previously for Everton, but it would be nice to have another option that's a bit more physically suited to the role. 

What would be the odds of Eduardo S. Howe doing a Joelinton on ATM and turning him in to a free scoring colossus of a forward? *

* fuck off, I’ve just finished a 12hr shift and I’m frazzled, at best. :lol:

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

LB was supposedly one area Howe wanted to strengthen but those links have gone quiet 

Which means nothing really, if anything it could mean the club will pull another deal out of nowhere between now and 1 September. 

I'll be shocked if we don't sign a LB. Targett is nowhere near as good for the level we are now at and aiming to be. Burn will hopefully be a great rotation and cover option at LB/CB but there's a striking need to add quality there. There's no way Howe wont be pushing for it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I agree with that, was it Sir Alex who used to say you need 4 quality strikers to compete on all fronts? I don't know about the versatility part though, Isak and Gordon can do that. Perhaps an out and out striker, someone physical to give us something different and eventually take over from Wilson. 

We've currently got more pressing issues to address though. LW, LB and then CB I'd argue. 

47 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

I agree with that, was it Sir Alex who used to say you need 4 quality strikers to compete on all fronts? I don't know about the versatility part though, Isak and Gordon can do that. Perhaps an out and out striker, someone physical to give us something different and eventually take over from Wilson. 

We've currently got more pressing issues to address though. LW, LB and then CB I'd argue. 

RW? 

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

RW? 

I feel we'll see a bit of Gordon there next season. Then there's Miggy and Murphy. I'm less concerned about RW. If Schar, Botman or Burn get injured we are truly fecked so defence a priority imo after LW. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

I feel we'll see a bit of Gordon there next season. Then there's Miggy and Murphy. I'm less concerned about RW. If Schar, Botman or Burn get injured we are truly fecked so defence a priority imo after LW. 

likes his inverted wingers though, doesn't he? i think it's a priority position along with LB and RCB. can see us getting an upgrade on miggy

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

So is it 20, 30 or 40 million? :lol:

ALL of them. I have it on good authority that PIF is playing a blinder and reporting specific installments only to different journos. 

arab GIF

• Haha 5

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season