Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

But he makes Greek Apps and has GUCCI!

That article about the launch of that Greek mythology-based board game. :lol: I kind of quite liked his doing it, just for it being so off the wall really. But when it said he spent nine hours taking people through the rules :lol: 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

I don’t know if anyone is interested but Almiron would have to be at the absolute peak of his potential market value now. And I think he’s a decent player, with a great attitude and athleticism. But I think the first half of last season was him having a purple patch and certainly not the norm. Which isn’t to say Howe hasn’t improved him. But I don’t think he’ll ever be a natural finisher 

I think you're right, but I'm not sure we'd get the kind of replacement/improvement that's available on the left hand side and certainly not for the kind of sum we'd likely get for him. What would we get for Almiron? 29yrs old, 3 years left on his contract, at £60k pw. Pretty well known that the purple patch was just that and the rest of his career hasn't seen that kind of goal return. 

I think Almiron fits well in the way we play, I think his character fits with the camp, and I don't think we'd get a significant sum for him. I definitely don't think we'd get enough to make it worth while.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Alex said:

I don’t know if anyone is interested but Almiron would have to be at the absolute peak of his potential market value now. And I think he’s a decent player, with a great attitude and athleticism. But I think the first half of last season was him having a purple patch and certainly not the norm. Which isn’t to say Howe hasn’t improved him. But I don’t think he’ll ever be a natural finisher 

Id happily swap ASM and Almiron for Barnes and Chiesa in the squad. 

Although, if the ASM cash allows us to sign another 2-3 players, I'd sooner keep Almiron as a squad player and try to get shot of Fraser, Hendrick, Hayden, Lewis etc first 

Slightly strange that Lewis, our 3rd choice LB, has started both pre-season games 

• Like 3

Howe seems to like him and might be seeing if he can mould him into a player. There is definitely something there with him but I can see him getting much game time, especially at the level we are playing at now. Worst case he is just putting him in the shop window.

I don't think either ASM or Almiron are the players to take us to the next level but I'd be shifting Almiron first out of the two of them. 

I'm going to go against the consensus and say I'm a bit sad to see ASM going. He could have been a valuable asset in champions league games but we'll never know now.

It's his inconsistency and chronic fitness problems which mean he's the one leaving, even though he has more natural talent than Almiron.

It all depends on how we spend the money we receive for him now. If we end up with Chiesa or Diaby plus Barnes and a new left back and a centre back then you have to say it's decent business. 

• Like 2

It was pure speculation really. But if offers came in I don’t think they’d think twice about selling both of them this window. The club seems determined to keep within FFP regulations. It’s a bit like selling Wood and Shelvey without having replacements. Not ideal but too good an opportunity to miss. Only, with it being the summer and the window being longer etc. there’s far more scope to bring improvements in. Especially with being able to offer CL football 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I don't think either ASM or Almiron are the players to take us to the next level but I'd be shifting Almiron first out of the two of them. 

I'm going to go against the consensus and say I'm a bit sad to see ASM going. He could have been a valuable asset in champions league games but we'll never know now.

It's his inconsistency and chronic fitness problems which mean he's the one leaving, even though he has more natural talent than Almiron.

It all depends on how we spend the money we receive for him now. If we end up with Chiesa or Diaby plus Barnes and a new left back and a centre back then you have to say it's decent business. 

Craig Hope made a good point on his latest video. We talk about ASM in terms of the 3 or 4 good games he had last season. You need players you can forgive for 3 or 4 bad games, not ones where you can only point to the 3 or 4 good.

It's obviously less black and white than that in reality but you get what he's saying. There's no room for passengers in a team that wants to go places.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I'm sad to see him go because he's great fun to watch. It's funny, if we were like 3 years down the line, he'd be a great player to come off the bench and provide a new problem for the opponents to deal with. But right now, heis inconsistency and injury problems mean we'd be better off with less skillfull but more consistent, more available players taking up that squad place. 

• Like 2

Just now, The Fish said:

I'm sad to see him go because he's great fun to watch. It's funny, if we were like 3 years down the line, he'd be a great player to come off the bench and provide a new problem for the opponents to deal with. But right now, heis inconsistency and injury problems mean we'd be better off with less skillfull but more consistent, more available players taking up that squad place. 

Said almost the same in a mates chat group last night - it's a timing thing. 

• Like 1

I don’t really get what the fuss is about

ASM is fine, just fine, that’s all, he’s alright, decent, nothing special really.

he’s pretty fun to watch when he gets his dribbly stuff going but you know watching that it’s rarely going to be productive because he’s a superb dribbler and a mediocre final ball player or finisher.

When we were shit that was plenty, a rare bright spark because he could create something out of nowhere just often enough for us to stay up.

We aren’t that team anymore though, we create from our plan, we score because we have good players putting that plan into action.

We don’t need Allan saint maximin now like we used to, so he can be sold to make us a better team which should ultimately be what we all want.

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, Andrew said:

ASM is fine, just fine, that’s all, he’s alright, decent, nothing special really.

he’s pretty fun to watch when he gets his dribbly stuff going but you know watching that it’s rarely going to be productive because he’s a superb dribbler and a mediocre final ball player or finisher.

When we were shit that was plenty, a rare bright spark because he could create something out of nowhere just often enough for us to stay up.

We aren’t that team anymore though, we create from our plan, we score because we have good players putting that plan into action.

We don’t need Allan saint maximin now like we used to, so he can be sold to make us a better team which should ultimately be what we all want.

/End.  Nailed it.

3 hours ago, Alex said:

That article about the launch of that Greek mythology-based board game. :lol: I kind of quite liked his doing it, just for it being so off the wall really. But when it said he spent nine hours taking people through the rules :lol: 

Didn't know he had made a game. I play and design a few myself.

Had a look at his game though, and it isn't great! Can't see how it took him 9 hours to teach it! :D 

Looks very flashy but in the end it didn't deliver

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Haven’t you got pics of young adults with speech impediments/mild undiagnosed autism to be pouring over? :cuppa:

Whoa, Dr PaddockLad and his social media based neuro divergent diagnoses!

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

what fuss? most people are happy he's going, as far as i can tell

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

what fuss? most people are happy he's going, as far as i can tell

All the people crying on Twitter as if we're off loading Bruno.  People like LTA needing a new tammy etc

Just now, wykikitoon said:

All the people crying on Twitter as if we're off loading Bruno.  People like LTA needing a new tammy etc

LTA is an outlier. I feel like I'm one of his bigger fans on here, and I'm not that arsed he's leaving, which says it all. The consensus is it's time to cash in on him 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

LTA is an outlier. I feel like I'm one of his bigger fans on here, and I'm not that arsed he's leaving, which says it all. The consensus is it's time to cash in on him 

Same here. 

Although, besides the goal against Wolves and the runs against Burnley a couple of seasons ago, I'm struggling to think of a great goal, or wonderful assist.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season