Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

31 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I'm not sure about that one, I think he thinks hes a midfielder but has almost always played at left back for City.

He's obviously got some quality, you don't get picked by Pep so much if you don't but he's also always the first person they're trying to replace. 

Is he a defender? Can he managed being a defender in a team that don't dominate games all the time? If not is he still actually a midfielder when hes played at left back so much?

Weird one.

I always saw him as a really solid utility player, I agree that he’d class himself as a midfielder but he’s shown versatility at full back and has a good cross on him. Still fairly young too given his experience. 

I think he’d likely be a regular starter (especially given the positions he covers) and then become a versatile squad player (which is how I feel about Joelinton going forward as well) as we improve. I agree with the question mark on if he’d look as solid defensively given we aren’t as strong as Man City, but I think if he was the first option as cover for Lodi (for example) he’d be competent enough while also keeping the attacking side from that position close/similar strength. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Craig said:

if it was between us and Everton I could see Zinchenko going to Everton on the grounds that it’s still local as well as him linking up with Mykolenko

If its between us and everton theyve got to spend very carefully and we can probably offer him more money with a more visbly upwardly mobile club.

8 hours ago, Craig said:

if it was between us and Everton I could see Zinchenko going to Everton on the grounds that it’s still local as well as him linking up with Mykolenko

Wasnt the lad who replaced Digne in January at EFC an Ukrainian left back? 🤔

53 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Wasnt the lad who replaced Digne in January at EFC an Ukrainian left back? 🤔

Mykolenko you mean? :D Yep, and huge mates with Zinchenko, who is primarily considered a midfielder that can also play a fullback role.

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

I'm not sure about that one, I think he thinks hes a midfielder but has almost always played at left back for City.

He's obviously got some quality, you don't get picked by Pep so much if you don't but he's also always the first person they're trying to replace. 

Is he a defender? Can he managed being a defender in a team that don't dominate games all the time? If not is he still actually a midfielder when hes played at left back so much?

Weird one.

I like Zinchenko, but he need to play in midfielder. Could be a good option to fight with Joelinton for a starter place.

9 hours ago, Howay said:

I always saw him as a really solid utility player, I agree that he’d class himself as a midfielder but he’s shown versatility at full back and has a good cross on him. Still fairly young too given his experience. 

I think he’d likely be a regular starter (especially given the positions he covers) and then become a versatile squad player (which is how I feel about Joelinton going forward as well) as we improve. I agree with the question mark on if he’d look as solid defensively given we aren’t as strong as Man City, but I think if he was the first option as cover for Lodi (for example) he’d be competent enough while also keeping the attacking side from that position close/similar strength. 

Can't see us getting both him and Lodi and we really need a left back first and foremost, not someone filling in, however good he may be.  Targett shows the success of that principle, but clearly Howe is looking for an upgrade on Targett, which is why he hasn't been signed* (or we aren't offering him enough money to sign, which seems less likely).

(* I know we can't sign anyone yet, but you know what I mean.)

get both him and targett. very different players, but you'd use zinchenko in a possesion based system, whereas Targett would be useful more generally. 

think their displeasure at playing slightly fewer teams could be offset by a healthy wage. the other thing is if we could get cucurella from Brighton.  he's a top player.  

If this is true it would be nice if that article from a while back was right, and we're getting him on loan for a year with an obligation to buy at the price agreed. He's got potential, if you believe those in the know about French football, but we could definitely do with a more established striker to supplement Wilson and Wood given the former's injury record and the latter's profligacy in front of goal. I just can't see our budget stretching to two 30m+ strikers when we need to improve a number of areas in the team, even if the club is trying to play down our spending power so we don't get our pants pulled down. 

Wouldn’t be surprised if that was the front 3 we went into next season with barring injury to Wilson tbh. We only play one up front at the moment

Looks like I was correct in that we'd only be buying one striker in that rough price range, not that it's rocket science, if indeed Downie has his facts straight. Again it's worrying how much we could find ourselves relying on Ekitike at certain points next season if he's our main and sole central striking target. Of course I'm sure Eddie will want more goals from midfield as well from whoever we get, be that Diaby or whomever else. 

Edited by Polarboy

I think we probably just have to accept that we're going to build a squad over multiple windows. If we get this lad in and make improvements in all other departments, it's all great progress. 

We might even get more games out of Wilson with an actual professional behind the scenes setup too. 

• Like 5

Thinking rationally it needs to be a reasonably steady build. Small but subtle changes - like we did in January so that they make a difference but don't upset the harmony within the team / club. We want additions to complement the existing playing staff, not scare the fuck out of them.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I think we probably just have to accept that we're going to build a squad over multiple windows. If we get this lad in and make improvements in all other departments, it's all great progress. 

We might even get more games out of Wilson with an actual professional behind the scenes setup too. 

Thing is I suspect there'll be periods you need to rest him to avoid something massive happening. I don't have the confidence in Wood to maintain the results so you'd have to sign someone who, in turn, would be pissed off being used that way. Tricky balance.

16 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

Thing is I suspect there'll be periods you need to rest him to avoid something massive happening. I don't have the confidence in Wood to maintain the results so you'd have to sign someone who, in turn, would be pissed off being used that way. Tricky balance.

Well the good thing about Ekitike is that he can play off the left as well as at CF, so it could be ASM getting the hump next season. I suspect Ekitike will be introduced slowly, but will probably get plenty of minutes either starting ahead of ASM or standing in for Wilson. There's even the option of playing Wilson off the right and Ekitike up front, given Wilson is more than capable of playing wide right in a front three. Having two strikers that can also play out wide would give us some great versatility. If we signed someone like Jesus as well, but according to Downie we won't, it would given Howe numerous options and attacking configurations. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season