Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Eddie said as much in his pre-match interview.  Not that you'd expect him to give anything away mind but I think he may have been a bit more "fuzzy" about it if we still had targets for this window.

This is what it's going to take though, ultimately. Steady progress. We're not going to qualify for Europe this year because we're not ready to do so, we don't have the strength in depth. If we did qualify, next summer would involve bringing in more players than planned and we'd probably still end up in a position where the sheer number of games we'd have to contend with would hamper our overall league progress.

Consolidate this year for top ten/threatening Europe. Add to the team again next summer with a clear aim of European qualification and no world cups, European games or any other bullshit to distract us from it. This gives us an advantage over 4th and 5th. Next season we get Europe and use that as a platform to bring in some really top tier players in order to put the foundations down for lasting success.

If we sprint to Europe this year we'd struggle next season. As much as I'd love to see it, I think I want the path that is more likely to get us what we want in the medium to long term.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

To the normal fan thats completely acceptable. To bedwetters (and im looking directly at you Wykiki 😛) it is not.

Where have a bed wet this season? Last season I was sopping.

I totally agree with Rayvin.  It's a very sensible process and one that is sustainable.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

This is what it's going to take though, ultimately. Steady progress. We're not going to qualify for Europe this year because we're not ready to do so, we don't have the strength in depth. If we did qualify, next summer would involve bringing in more players than planned and we'd probably still end up in a position where the sheer number of games we'd have to contend with would hamper our overall league progress.

Consolidate this year for top ten/threatening Europe. Add to the team again next summer with a clear aim of European qualification and no world cups, European games or any other bullshit to distract us from it. This gives us an advantage over 4th and 5th. Next season we get Europe and use that as a platform to bring in some really top tier players in order to put the foundations down for lasting success.

If we sprint to Europe this year we'd struggle next season. As much as I'd love to see it, I think I want the path that is more likely to get us what we want in the medium to long term.

I'd agree with most of that, apart from your last paragraph. I think the club has developed the infrastructure to be able to build on a European campaign next season. It'd also increase the level of attraction of the club to better players so we'd see another marked improvement in our transfer business. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

we could finish anywhere between 5th and 10th this season, in my opinion - even if we don't sign any more players. 

• Like 3

I think there’s certainly a chance we could finish in the European spots, I wouldn’t be putting money on it but with a favourable injury list it’s possible. But do we want Europa Conference football? It’s a lot of travel and games for a third rate competition.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Craig said:

I'd agree with most of that, apart from your last paragraph. I think the club has developed the infrastructure to be able to build on a European campaign next season. It'd also increase the level of attraction of the club to better players so we'd see another marked improvement in our transfer business. 

That might well be true but realistically we're seeing even at this early stage in the season, exactly why we're not going to get Europe this time out. For all that we have a good team with a good system and a lot of enthusiasm, 3/4 games in we've got injuries popping up left and right and are starting to become exposed at certain positions as a result. Whether we could manage to build into a European campaign next season is probably a moot point because I think it is unlikely to happen this year unless Isak really does hit the ground running and we stay relatively injury free.

I do acknowledge that the drawback with taking another year to 'get there' is we potentially lose our star players to impatience, but I think that's the only real risk with taking an extra year - and ambitious buying next summer would probably (hopefully) placate them anyway.

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I think there’s certainly a chance we could finish in the European spots, I wouldn’t be putting money on it but with a favourable injury list it’s possible. But do we want Europa Conference football? It’s a lot of travel and games for a third rate competition.

It's crazy to me that there are fans out there who wouldn't want this :lol: Who knows, we might even win the fucking thing.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

We haven't lost a game yet and there was dribble marks left  because of Longstaff.

I'll reserve judgment until we get our first tonking. Which will probably be tonight. Im watching you.

Was there dribble marks or was I just pointing out how shit Longstaff is?  I will tell you, it's the latter.

But as you have correctly pointed out, he's our 3rd choice CM and that's where we are.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's crazy to me that there are fans out there who wouldn't want this :lol: Who knows, we might even win the fucking thing.

Fully agree with this, winnable european football sounds amazing. Look at the teams that contested the latter stages last year. 

• Like 3

European football is absolutely class tbh. 

It makes matches more accessible for people who otherwise couldn't get tickets, it's generally reasonably priced at non CL level, you get to see some teams you haven't seen before, some dorty pints on a work night. It's mint. 

Id even take the conference if we could get it.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Tom said:

It makes matches more accessible for people who otherwise couldn't get tickets, it's generally reasonably priced at non CL level, you get to see some teams you haven't seen before, some dorty pints on a work night. It's mint. 

This is true. I remember being at the PSV match at home midweek. Absolutely mortal and speaking to a PSV fan and thinking he must be absolutely wankered as I couldn't understand his English. He was speaking Dutch and I thought he was a mag 😂

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

This is true. I remember being at the PSV match at home midweek. Absolutely mortal and speaking to a PSV fan and thinking he must be absolutely wankered as I couldn't understand his English. He was speaking Dutch and I thought he was a mag 😂

Should have got Steve McLaren to translate

• Haha 2

We've got to push for a European place this season, not next as it'll kick on the level of players we can continue to attract. If say we've managed to attract 50% of the players we were seriously interested in, and we increase that to 80% through getting Euro competition, then it can only be of benefit. We're not Champions League level of course, but by getting a few more top drawer bodies in over the next 2 windows, with the attraction of Euro football from 2023, we probably could be. 

Edited by Chaser

51 minutes ago, Tom said:

i'd love to come up for some boozy european thursday nights 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season