Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

He had a full season behind a decent Rafa defence in the Championship. He's bang average 

Did you want Dubravka replacing at the end of last season? If you didn’t then we’re still in the same position ie Darrow is  back up. It’s only an advantage to Man Utd if Pope gets injured…. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

"Offer £19m for Tielemens but don't say who we are. If NUFC want him it'll concentrate a few minds at SJP and it'll keep the inhabitants of Wearside agitated."

20200709_121601__01.thumb.jpg.47c2b0db2237ee851d0200670d80ddb0.jpg

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Did you want Dubravka replacing at the end of last season? If you didn’t then we’re still in the same position ie Darrow is  back up. It’s only an advantage to Man Utd if Pope gets injured…. 

I'm not complaining, but it's a fact that Dubravka would be a better back up to Pope than Darlow. Doesn't matter if he's unwilling to play that role though 

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I'm not complaining, but it's a fact that Dubravka would be a better back up to Pope than Darlow. Doesn't matter if he's unwilling to play that role though 

Aye, Howe has worked hard on getting a positive changing room atmosphere. If Dubravka really wanted to leave then best to let him go for the good of the squad.

• Like 1

Tielemans is in the last year of his contract I think, so he should go for less than he normally would. You'd assume they'd still be looking for around the 30m mark. Plus Arsenal have been heavily linked, so I'm not sure how realistic these links are, but as people have said he'd be perfect for our midfield. 

42 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

If the current projectories of both clubs go as expected, Dubs might be hoping that Man U don't want to complete his transfer after this season on loan.

Backup keeper for a club on the slide or backup keeper for a club on the rise - once this year's WC is over and we see which club finishes higher up the ladder, season 23/24 might be a different prospect.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, OTF said:

Whatever you think of the deal at least now we know that any incoming funds or reduction in wages will be put to use in improving the squad.

For me Dubravka hasn't been at his best since returning from major injury. I have no qualms with him wanting to leave instead of playing second fiddle to Pope who has hit the ground running. Manure are competing on more fronts so Dubravka will get more game time there as second choice, plus there is the slim possibility of being able to win his place as first choice. He's already 33 years old, and whilst many goal keepers play deep into their 30s even more don't, especially those with injury problems. Pope is 3+ years younger, has fit immediately into the team and looks better than Dubravka - on balance no matter how you look at it we've done a good bit of business in the keeping department. Sure it would be preferable to have more quality in reserve but we're not there yet in terms of squad depth. The money from this can be much more effectively used elsewhere on the pitch.

This is it for me like. Taking all emotion out of it, it makes sound business sense. 

Getting a 33 year old off the payroll, Saving around £6m in wages plus a £5m transfer fee should his appearances meet a certain criteria. 

In short, this deal more than pays for Pope's transfer fee. And we've ended up with a better player. Win/Win for me.

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

There was a thread on twitter (which I can't now find) talking about Pope with all sorts of Fish-esque analysis/graphics for all sorts of different facets of all GK's, it showed Pope way ahead of Dubravka and just about everyone else btw, interestingly Darlow was also on it and also ahead of him in many areas (marginally mind)

That'll be this I assume:

• Like 1

Arsenal have supposedly been negotiating a deal for Tielemans for months. Unless they've decided against it, it seems very unlikely he'll going anywhere but there. It does seem odd that Arsenal didn't sign him earlier in the window though, but maybe Leicester were waiting to secure a replacement before letting him go. 

• Like 1

if you're tielemens and arsenal have come in for you, you're probably choosing them over us at this stage. arteta has bought very well. i think they'll have a good season

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

when does the window "slam shut"?

11:00pm this Thursday. Or even tomorrow night at 11 to be less awkward about it. 

Edited by Polarboy

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season