Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

8 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47udxavnfy4bv4n36qv59

That's about the size of it. Mainly from the gammons on Twitter but some on here are guilty of it as well, despite their protestations.

9 minutes ago, Craig said:

That's about the size of it. Mainly from the gammons on Twitter but some on here are guilty of it as well, despite their protestations.

Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies

Leicester fan in peace here. Based on the fact you seem to be spending sensibly and not willing to have your pants pulled down. I'd be very surprised if this transfer happens, purely because we're not in a position to let Madders go unless some team is paying massively over the odds. I think it'd take £70 million to make the deal happen.

Considering our only decent attacking options in midfield are Barnes and Maddison. Selling Maddison would be suicide. I hear you say "oh, but you can replace him with the money". My question would be then, if that magical player exists at this point, why are Newcastle not in for him? 

We've got a Spanish player in his peak years who is available for much less and has tonnes of premier league experience if you're looking to nick one of our attacking midfielders :D

• Like 3

Just now, filbertway said:

Leicester fan in peace here. Based on the fact you seem to be spending sensibly and not willing to have your pants pulled down. I'd be very surprised if this transfer happens, purely because we're not in a position to let Madders go unless some team is paying massively over the odds. I think it'd take £70 million to make the deal happen.

Considering our only decent attacking options in midfield are Barnes and Maddison. Selling Maddison would be suicide. I hear you say "oh, but you can replace him with the money". My question would be then, if that magical player exists at this point, why are Newcastle not in for him? 

We've got a Spanish player in his peak years who is available for much less and has tonnes of premier league experience if you're looking to nick one of our attacking midfielders :D

What's going on with your boys? Seems like something is a miss looking from afar.  I.e Kasper has gone, now Maddison, Fofana and apparently Vardy sounds like he wants out (Could be bull shit that).

Are you in FFP trouble or is it just a case of a freshen up? 

Also what's your thoughts on Brenda?

27 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

West 'am have also triggered Cornets release clause supposedly.

Pretty much a done deal from what I've heard from a mate who's a Burnley fan.

53 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

What's going on with your boys? Seems like something is a miss looking from afar.  I.e Kasper has gone, now Maddison, Fofana and apparently Vardy sounds like he wants out (Could be bull shit that).

Are you in FFP trouble or is it just a case of a freshen up? 

Also what's your thoughts on Brenda?

To boil it down simply, we've signed quite a few average players and put them and our existing average players on large contracts. For example Hamza Choudary is on 60k p/w. Which is a lot of money for someone who would do well to spend the rest of their career in the championship.

We can't shift these players because nobody wants to pay their wages, so this year is going to be a bit of a grin and bear it situation. A lot of these players will be out on contract in 2023. I think we've got 8 out of contract next season. Once they're gone, then next summer is absolutely huge for us. If we get the recruitment wrong then the club could be in for a struggle. If we get it right then we could well be challenging the top 6 again. I'm feeling much more confident now we've got rid of Congerton who Brendan brought with him from Celtic.

Basically at the minute our spend on wages is too high and nobody can afford to sign our duffers haha. So we're just gonna try and ride out this season if we can't shift any dead wood. This is why we don't want to lose Maddison or Fofana, which is why we'll be asking for money this summer that sounds mental to outsiders.

My opinion on Brendan haha... He seems to be an excellent coach and excellent man manager. His players will carry out his instructions to the letter. When he first joined we were playing the best football I've ever seen Leicester play. Unfortunately he seems to have become more passive and possession obsessed and he's sucked any enjoyment out of watching us, save for the odd performance. I do realise that you'd have probably killed for any kind of game plan while having to watch Bruce-ball mind haha.

Off the pitch I think he's terrible, he wants to be involved in all facets of the club. He allegedly had a part in our long term physio Dave Rennie being sacked and we replaced Eduardo Macia with Lee Congerton. Macia and Puel basically built the core of the squad that Rodgers still uses 3 years after he joined. So he had a big say in our medical and recruitment when he joined. Since Rennie left, we've had consistent injuries and our recruitment have been fairly poor. Although he does gets credit for the signings of Justin, Fofana and Castagne.

He'll hopefully get us back to playing some decent stuff again this season, my concern is that if we still have Rodgers in charge during next summer's rebuild. It'll set the club back years. I'd certainly be eyeing up Steve Cooper as I think he's a manager on the up who would be happy to work within our proven framework, rather than wanting to tear it up and do it his own way.

Ashworth and Howe seem to be putting together a nice vision for your lot by the way, I've been very impressed with how you've conducted business and there seems to be a clear plan to sign the right players and not just splash money on any old high reputation player that's down on their luck.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

If we don't get him now we'll get him in January. They won't want him going into the final 18 months of his contract. 

Which will be even funnier. 

Genuinely think that they could be in real trouble if they don't buy a couple of good centrebacks, and some quality in midfield. 

29 minutes ago, filbertway said:

To boil it down simply, we've signed quite a few average players and put them and our existing average players on large contracts. For example Hamza Choudary is on 60k p/w. Which is a lot of money for someone who would do well to spend the rest of their career in the championship.

We can't shift these players because nobody wants to pay their wages, so this year is going to be a bit of a grin and bear it situation. A lot of these players will be out on contract in 2023. I think we've got 8 out of contract next season. Once they're gone, then next summer is absolutely huge for us. If we get the recruitment wrong then the club could be in for a struggle. If we get it right then we could well be challenging the top 6 again. I'm feeling much more confident now we've got rid of Congerton who Brendan brought with him from Celtic.

Basically at the minute our spend on wages is too high and nobody can afford to sign our duffers haha. So we're just gonna try and ride out this season if we can't shift any dead wood. This is why we don't want to lose Maddison or Fofana, which is why we'll be asking for money this summer that sounds mental to outsiders.

My opinion on Brendan haha... He seems to be an excellent coach and excellent man manager. His players will carry out his instructions to the letter. When he first joined we were playing the best football I've ever seen Leicester play. Unfortunately he seems to have become more passive and possession obsessed and he's sucked any enjoyment out of watching us, save for the odd performance. I do realise that you'd have probably killed for any kind of game plan while having to watch Bruce-ball mind haha.

Off the pitch I think he's terrible, he wants to be involved in all facets of the club. He allegedly had a part in our long term physio Dave Rennie being sacked and we replaced Eduardo Macia with Lee Congerton. Macia and Puel basically built the core of the squad that Rodgers still uses 3 years after he joined. So he had a big say in our medical and recruitment when he joined. Since Rennie left, we've had consistent injuries and our recruitment have been fairly poor. Although he does gets credit for the signings of Justin, Fofana and Castagne.

He'll hopefully get us back to playing some decent stuff again this season, my concern is that if we still have Rodgers in charge during next summer's rebuild. It'll set the club back years. I'd certainly be eyeing up Steve Cooper as I think he's a manager on the up who would be happy to work within our proven framework, rather than wanting to tear it up and do it his own way.

Ashworth and Howe seem to be putting together a nice vision for your lot by the way, I've been very impressed with how you've conducted business and there seems to be a clear plan to sign the right players and not just splash money on any old high reputation player that's down on their luck.

See? This is what I told you lot,  pages ago, but would you listen to Fish? NOOoOooOoOoo. Pack of bellends.

We know all about the hassle of trying to get rid of deadwood. We've sent a few out on loan to essentially run down their contracts without stinking up the training ground with their moody faces. 

With Fofana going, who do you have at Centreback? Is it just Evans and that Soyuncu?

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

See? This is what I told you lot,  pages ago, but would you listen to Fish? NOOoOooOoOoo. Pack of bellends.

We know all about the hassle of trying to get rid of deadwood. We've sent a few out on loan to essentially run down their contracts without stinking up the training ground with their moody faces. 

With Fofana going, who do you have at Centreback? Is it just Evans and that Soyuncu?

Evans - Classy but very Injury prone 

Soyuncu - Classy but can be erratic - also in his final year

Amartey - Can be solid, especially in a deep block, capable of costly errors and lapses in concentration. 

Vestergaard - Hands down the worst CB we have, even Rodgers has picked Ndidi and Choudary to play at cb ahead of him.

We obviously muddled along without Fofana last season so worst case, if he did get a value of £100 million offered and he went, then we will cope but it won't be pretty. I'd be desperate to get Colwill coming the other way. 

If we lose Maddison, then we're ball bagged this year. It'd be tough to see where the goals would come from. Him and Iheanacho are really our only two players that are capable of scoring a goal out of nothing. Considering how easy we are to blunt under Rodgers, losing one player who's capable of creating or scoring out of very little would not be ideal. You just have to look at how we massively outperformed our expected goals last season to see what a loss he would be.

As I say, if you want Perez, we'd probably pay you £10 million to take him off our hands, we can throw in Choudary and Vestergaard free of charge as well :D

5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Evans - Classy but very Injury prone 

Soyuncu - Classy but can be erratic - also in his final year

Amartey - Can be solid, especially in a deep block, capable of costly errors and lapses in concentration. 

Vestergaard - Hands down the worst CB we have, even Rodgers has picked Ndidi and Choudary to play at cb ahead of him.

We obviously muddled along without Fofana last season so worst case, if he did get a value of £100 million offered and he went, then we will cope but it won't be pretty. I'd be desperate to get Colwill coming the other way. 

If we lose Maddison, then we're ball bagged this year. It'd be tough to see where the goals would come from. Him and Iheanacho are really our only two players that are capable of scoring a goal out of nothing. Considering how easy we are to blunt under Rodgers, losing one player who's capable of creating or scoring out of very little would not be ideal. You just have to look at how we massively outperformed our expected goals last season to see what a loss he would be.

As I say, if you want Perez, we'd probably pay you £10 million to take him off our hands, we can throw in Choudary and Vestergaard free of charge as well :D

Perez was a fucking weird one. He was at his best playing behind a targetman, pressuring the defence, linking midfield to attack, popping up with the odd goal. That's not how you play, is it? You were a clasic counter attack team, now Rodger is trying to mould you more into a possession based team. Neither of those are where he does best. Last time I saw him, he was shunted out to the flank where he's even less effective. 

Really odd one.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season