Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

12 hours ago, tinofbeans said:

Nope, he carries next to no threat. Pep got ri of him because he’s a middle distance runner rather than a footballer. See also Theo Walcott.

bot absurdly bad decision makers…..

His name came up but I don’t view him as a remotely realistic option. Chelsea wouldn’t sell, the fee would be too high and so would the wages. He’s not creative. Quite why Southgate thought he’d work as a 10 is beyond me (especially with Kane wanting to drop into similar areas). Man City got rid because he commanded a big fee and probably isn’t deemed good enough in terms of chasing the holy grail (the CL) and their other options in wide areas. The insinuation the manager didn’t rate him runs counter to the amount of time spent working on Sterling’s game, the amount of game time he got and the end product as a result. It’s not like there were financial restraints governing that. If you play to his strengths -  pace, movement and getting on the end of things then he’s a very good asset who would walk into our first XI. Walcott is shite by comparison 

• Like 1

On 02/03/2023 at 10:42, Toonpack said:

Sell is an ambitious label for some of those tbh.

+ Murphy - Keep.

Short hand for "get them off our books"

There'll still be suitors for a lot of those players. 

Dubravka - Sell Think we could definitely get somewhere between £7 and £10m

Gillespie -Sell Doubt we'll get anything and his contract will be cheap to buy out.

Dummett - Sell Solid Championship defender but he is 31, probably lose him for nothing.

Lascelles - Sell Could definitely sell him for c£7m

Lewis - Sell No idea, someone could fancy a punt, but again it might be Easier to just release him. 

Targett - Keep? Unless we can get the kind of money we spent on him I'd keep him. 

Krafth - Sell He showed some promise, but he's not good enough. c£5m?

Manquillo - Sell Doubt he's got a massive wage, and it runs out in June 24. Free Transfer.

ASM - Keep? If some lunatic comes in with a massive offer, 

Ritchie - Sell Free Transfer or retirement for the wee bampot

Fraser - Sell He'll go for nothing, unless Ashworth is a sorcerer. 

M.Longstaff - Sell Same as Fraser. Which is a shame.

Darlow - Sell (dunno if his loan deal comes with an obligation)

Clark - Sell (same as above)

Hayden - Sell (Ditto)

Hendrick - Sell (Ditto)

Edited by The Fish

1 minute ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Why are we getting rid of Gillespie?

He's not good enough, he's cheap to get rid of and he's taking up a squad space that could go to a better, younger 'keeper. Also, his contract is up in 3 months.

Edited by The Fish
  • Like 1

Not a chance we’d get anywhere near 7 million for Dubravka. He’s 34, has seen a few injuries starting to pile up and has been completely usurped by Pope. You’re looking at a few million to a European side needing a stop-gap IMO. I’d sell him as well tbf but you’d probably get more for Karius

2 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Not a chance we’d get anywhere near 7 million for Dubravka. He’s 34, has seen a few injuries starting to pile up and has been completely usurped by Pope. You’re looking at a few million to a European side needing a stop-gap IMO. I’d sell him as well tbf but you’d probably get more for Karius

We got £10m for Shelvey.

A Premier League quality central midfielder with about 3 seasons left in the tank who, tbf to him, has a range of passing that not many players have. That’s before you even factor in the January window and Forest’s desperate attempts to survive. The two are in no way comparable. How much did Leicester get for Kasper Schmeichel? There’s your reference point and he’s better than Dubravka

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He's not good enough, he's cheap to get rid of and he's taking up a squad space that could go to a better, younger 'keeper. Also, his contract is up in 3 months.

Can’t fault your thinking but a better young keeper than Gillespie is likely to be getting first team football in the championship, or league 1 at the least 🤷🏻‍♂️

18 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

A better 3rd keeper, have you seen him play much?

No, and few outside of Motherwell and Carlisle have. Which is kind of the point. He's not good enough to be 3rd choice for a team aiming to end up top half of the Premier League, I can't believe this is even up for debate. 

36 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

A Premier League quality central midfielder with about 3 seasons left in the tank who, tbf to him, has a range of passing that not many players have. That’s before you even factor in the January window and Forest’s desperate attempts to survive. The two are in no way comparable. How much did Leicester get for Kasper Schmeichel? There’s your reference point and he’s better than Dubravka

That's fair. I just think Dubravka will still be highly regarded. Happy to be proven wrong.

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Can’t fault your thinking but a better young keeper than Gillespie is likely to be getting first team football in the championship, or league 1 at the least 🤷🏻‍♂️

Aye, maybe. I dunno, I just don't see him as anything but taking up a space in the squad list. Pope + Karius would be fine for the majority of the season. Not sure Gillespie is good enough to be relied upon in any game of consequence.

Dummet, M. Longshaft, Ritche, Gillespie., Karius Ciaran Clark will all be gone in the summer at the end of the contracts.

We are stuck with Hayden, Lewis and Murphy for a while. Can't see us shifting them unless its on loan.

15 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

If you signed a highly rated U21 goalkeeper, you could keep Gillespie around since the young kid wouldn’t take up a squad space. And tbf, even Man City’s third keeper is Scott Carson :lol: it’s not a position where high quality is required

WHY WON'T YOU LET ME GET RID OF MARK FUCKING GILLESPIE?

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, The Fish said:

No, and few outside of Motherwell and Carlisle have. Which is kind of the point. He's not good enough to be 3rd choice for a team aiming to end up top half of the Premier League, I can't believe this is even up for debate. 

He’s a decent keeper for a 3rd choice and will be costing about £2.50 a week.

33 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Dummet, M. Longshaft, Ritche, Gillespie., Karius Ciaran Clark will all be gone in the summer at the end of the contracts.

We are stuck with Hayden, Lewis and Murphy for a while. Can't see us shifting them unless its on loan.

Adequate squad player for where we are just now/through next season, other areas way more important to address. Hayden/Lewis need peddling asap though (be difficult).

53 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Will Ashby ever get some game time? I suspect he might never play for us.

Isn't he currently injured?

Why would we sign someone and not play them?  he was highly rated by the West Ham fans.

Don't think so. He is 21 and has only played one PL game as sub for West Ham so can't be that highly rated. 

Eddie said he needed to build up his fitness when we signed him a month ago and he still isn't anywhere near a squad.

Glad to be proved wrong of course.

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season