First Gig You Went To

trooper

21 hours ago, NJS said:

Black Sabbath with Dio on the Heaven and Hell tour - City Hall March 1980. 

It was great but a bit scary as a 15/16 year old with an audience which seemed to be about 80% hells angels and bikers. 

I was also there, not a hells angel or biker, but did have rather long hair and probably my cut off denim jacket.

Embarrassingly my first ever gig was this lot:

E17F0FAB-2F94-41DB-9ACD-8505C6E41B11.png

• Haha 2

Mine was UFO at the City Hall in 1982, me and my mate went because his older sister had bought tickets but couldn’t go. 

All I remember is about halfway through, surrounded by sweaty, hairy blokes, looking at the stage and thinking 

“ This is fucking shite”. 

My next proper gig was AC/DC at Whitley Ice Rink, which was fucking mint. :lol:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I was also there, not a hells angel or biker, but did have rather long hair and probably my cut off denim jacket.

Embarrassingly my first ever gig was this lot:

E17F0FAB-2F94-41DB-9ACD-8505C6E41B11.png

Without Google...the spinners?? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Alex said:

I liked Therapy? back in the day. James Joyce is fucking my sister 

Donated all my cds to the local record shop in January...out of 600 I kept a couple of dozen, Caucasian Psychosis by Therapy? was one of them...think it's a compilation of their first three eps, JJIFMS is on there...track might be called something else though?  @Meenzer might know...

9 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Donated all my cds to the local record shop in January...out of 600 I kept a couple of dozen, Caucasian Psychosis by Therapy? was one of them...think it's a compilation of their first three eps, JJIFMS is on there...track might be called something else though?  @Meenzer might know...

Potatohead? Or something like that? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Mine was UFO at the City Hall in 1982, me and my mate went because his older sister had bought tickets but couldn’t go. 

All I remember is about halfway through, surrounded by sweaty, hairy blokes, looking at the stage and thinking 

I was also there, and they were shite, guitarist (Chapman I think) was completely pissed/off his head, thought Pete Way was going to chin him at one point. Strangely as well as being one of the crappest gigs I've been to, they also number among one of the better gig's I've been to, when they reformed and toured with Schenker (Walk on Water tour 95/96 ish, City Hall) they were excellent, next night they had a big barney on stage in Manchester and fucked the gig off :) (Tour was canned I think after that).

Support was Uli Jon Roth playing rocked up classical music on his 7 string guitar (first one I had ever seen).

Oh and Trooper, I was also at that KISS gig you mention, got tickets and then they announced it was an "out of makeup tour" was gutted, but you are dreaming if you think it was minimalist, there was fire (Symonds doing his fire breathing) and other pyro, the drum kit was on a huge fake tank turret FFS which moved forward on the stage and fired smoke/dry ice into the crowd. (I had my trusty kodak instamatic with me and took pics).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Were you the sweaty hairy bloke in the jeans and T-shirt then? :lol:

Nah (not that time) was with the Mrs, thought I'd take her to see her first proper rock gig - HUGE mistake.

Not taking any learning from that experience I then tried again, to take her to see her first big US act - thinking popular massive US band bound to be a good show - Reo Speedwagon, they were utter shite an all, without a bandmember off his tits excuse !!!!

Edited by Toonpack

3 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Potato Junkie :good: 

That’s the one! I was getting mixed up with the kid’s toy Mr Potato Junkie

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 1

:D Had a good laugh at an unplugged gig they did at the Union Chapel in Islington a few years back. Cue 900 ageing rockers being incited to chant "James Joyce is fucking my sister!" under the watchful eye of God and with exquisite acoustics.

• Haha 2

Stereophonic’s supported by Feeder in 2001! I’d never heard feeder before but was hooked as they were awesome. Phonic’s were absolutely class at the time too, I was probably about 13ish, so hearing loud guitars was an instant “fuck I want to do this”.

7 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

My next proper gig was AC/DC at Whitley Ice Rink, which was fucking mint. :lol:

I was at that one the band were playing "For Those About To Rock" & when they set the cannons off some of the polystyrene ceiling tiles came off landing on the crowd stood on the boards covering the ice. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Toonpack said:

I was also there, and they were shite, guitarist (Chapman I think) was completely pissed/off his head, thought Pete Way was going to chin him at one point. Strangely as well as being one of the crappest gigs I've been to, they also number among one of the better gig's I've been to, when they reformed and toured with Schenker (Walk on Water tour 95/96 ish, City Hall) they were excellent, next night they had a big barney on stage in Manchester and fucked the gig off :) (Tour was canned I think after that).

Support was Uli Jon Roth playing rocked up classical music on his 7 string guitar (first one I had ever seen).

Oh and Trooper, I was also at that KISS gig you mention, got tickets and then they announced it was an "out of makeup tour" was gutted, but you are dreaming if you think it was minimalist, there was fire (Symonds doing his fire breathing) and other pyro, the drum kit was on a huge fake tank turret FFS which moved forward on the stage and fired smoke/dry ice into the crowd. (I had my trusty kodak instamatic with me and took pics).

That wasn't the Crazy Nights gig I was at in 1988 The gig your on about was from the 1983/84 Unmasked Tour with the tank turret 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Stereophonic’s supported by Feeder in 2001! I’d never heard feeder before but was hooked as they were awesome. Phonic’s were absolutely class at the time too, I was probably about 13ish, so hearing loud guitars was an instant “fuck I want to do this”.

I saw the stereophonics at the London forum the night we played stevenage - they'd just won an nme award and me and a mate went on the basis of having heard a thousand trees - only a couple of hundred there but it was great. 

• Like 1