First Gig You Went To

trooper

Bands I'm most disappointed about never having the opportunity to see in their prime Echo and the Bunnymen (never seen), Killing Joke (saw as old men) and Talking Heads (only ever saw David Byrne solo).

First, not shitty local cover, band I saw was Spandau Ballet in 1985, things we do for girlfriends when you're young. Same year saw Howard Jones, Queen, Sting, BB King and the Style Council.

Also was lucky enough to see Nirvana just weeks after they released Nevermind - almost didn't go as I wasn't really arsed about them - preferred Mudhoney, TAD, Killdozer and Dinosaur Jr.

Saw Elbow at this tiny venue with about 50 others, Asleep at the Wheel wasn't huge here.

At one stage, in my mid-thirties, I calculated how many bands I'd seen and it averaged out that from 16, I'd seen one band a night over those twenty years - that's not including all the bands on a festival bill if I went to it.

Old age and covid have definitely dented those numbers.

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 1

Saw the legendary Irish fetish-punks Sultans of Ping FC with about 200 other idiots in a club in Bournemouth around 92..might have been 93... they were supported by some little known gang of scruffs from Oxford with a weird wee vocalist by the name of Radiohead....not sure what happened to them tbh :unsure:

Edited by PaddockLad

3 hours ago, NJS said:

The band I saw the most - probably saw them about 25 times altogether. 

Did you get the two gigs for the price of one at City Hall ??

52 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Did you get the two gigs for the price of one at City Hall ??

Yeah, there can't be many bands who did that - "the sound is fucked so we'll come back and play again for nowt". 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NJS said:

Yeah, there can't be many bands who did that - "the sound is fucked so we'll come back and play again for nowt". 

Wouldn't care, it was fine after first few songs !!!! Was gobsmacked.

I've been lucky enough to see just about see everybody i ever wanted. But one band I regret not seeing was the classic YES line up of Anderson, Bruford, Howe, Squire & Wakeman. I had a chance to go to see YES on the Drama Tour" but by then Anderson & Wakeman had left the band & were replaced by Geoff Downes & Trevor Horn from Buggles. The band were quickly nicknamed YEGGLES. I just couldn't face Horn trying to sing Anderson's parts so never went to see them.

Did Milton Keynes Bowl a couple of times. 1986 for Simple Minds the same day England played Argentina in the world Cup finals the "Hand Of God" game. Jim Kerr told us what had happened. It was a cracking day IMG_9182_2274x.thumb.jpg.32fa54268deb01fa4ac458e81db5a2cd.jpg

Edited by trooper

August 19th 1989 my 30th birthday & I celebrated at Milton Keynes Bowl seeing Bon Jovi on the "New Jersey Tour". They brought on 2 surprise guests Steven Tyler & Joe Perry (Aerosmith) & they all played Walk This Way

Bon_Jovi_008 (1).jpg

My first trip to the MK bowl was for U2 in 85. REM were the main support with The Ramones. 

It pissed down all day and I think that when U2 came on at nine everyone just decided to say "fuck it" and really went for it which made it special. 

8 minutes ago, NJS said:

My first trip to the MK bowl was for U2 in 85. REM were the main support with The Ramones. 

It pissed down all day and I think that when U2 came on at nine everyone just decided to say "fuck it" and really went for it which made it special. 

Same day I went to Knebworth to See Deep Purple. The buses for U2 & Deep Purple left Central Station  at the same time. It had pissed down all week & never let up on the day. It was still a great day though

https://www.bbc.co.uk/tyne/content/articles/2005/11/21/elbow_review_feature.shtml

Seen Elbow a couple of times since but the first time was my favourite. Mew were class too, they had a thing where you could download the audio of their set if you paid £1.99 via text. Hoping I still have it on a hard drive somewhere.

2 hours ago, trooper said:

August 19th 1989 my 30th birthday & I celebrated at Milton Keynes Bowl seeing Bon Jovi on the "New Jersey Tour". They brought on 2 surprise guests Steven Tyler & Joe Perry (Aerosmith) & they all played Walk This Way

Bon_Jovi_008 (1).jpg

saw Jovi at the old SEC in Glasgow, back god knows when, sound was horrific, old SEC was basically a huge metal shed and PA was in the roof, not a good idea, constantly vibrated/rattled like fuck, place was full of screaming lasses as well. 

19 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

saw Jovi at the old SEC in Glasgow, back god knows when, sound was horrific, old SEC was basically a huge metal shed and PA was in the roof, not a good idea, constantly vibrated/rattled like fuck, place was full of screaming lasses as well. 

Saw AC/DC at Glasgow SEC in 1991. Went to Whitley Bay Ice Rink in 1986 another big shed. Also saw them at the Mayfair in 1980 the place was absolutely rammed full. This was the last gig Bon Scott ever played. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Saw the legendary Irish fetish-punks Sultans of Ping FC with about 200 other idiots in a club in Bournemouth around 92..might have been 93... they were supported by some little known gang of scruffs from Oxford with a weird wee vocalist by the name of Radiohead....not sure what happened to them tbh :unsure:

When I saw Smashing Pumpkins at the Mayfair they were supported by The Verve. Think that was September 93 

What's the furthest you've travelled for a gig? Mates and I use to occasionally drive from Sydney to Melbourne for the weekend to see a band.

Furthest for me was Jesus and Mary Chain with Dinosaur Jr, My Bloody Valentine and Blur at the Brixton Academy, a trip to England that I timed so I could see the gig. Would have topped that in 2009 with tickets for 65daysofstatic and a show they had at Barrow but it was cancelled last minute.

Went to Nashville for a country music festival. More than a decade ago now, fucking hell.

Belgrade and Riga for Eurovision if that counts, but it probably doesn't. Either as a gig or as music generally. :D 

In terms of land travel though, London to Brighton for an Eels gig at the Dome (also a legendary Eurovision venue :wub: ) is about the furthest.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, trooper said:

Saw AC/DC at Glasgow SEC in 1991. Went to Whitley Bay Ice Rink in 1986 another big shed. Also saw them at the Mayfair in 1980 the place was absolutely rammed full. This was the last gig Bon Scott ever played. 

Love AC/DC. Seen them at Donnington, Vegas, Glasgow and Manchester over the years