World Cup 2022

34 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I enjoyed plenty of the group matches and some of the knockout games have been entertaining. "Invested", maybe not, but then I cared more about Cameroon in 1990 and Sweden in 1994 than I ever have about England so I may be the wrong person to ask. :D  But I think it's been a reasonably entertaining tournament, albeit obviously lacking the atmosphere and variation you get when it's held in a normal country with actual different cities and stuff.

It’s funny thinking back but I’ve never cared about any team quite so much as Brazil in ‘82. I’ve cared, just not that much. 

44 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I was never that invested in this World Cup, just curious if anyone was/is? 

I don't just mean after England got knocked out, did anyone really care about it?

Just as much as any other major tournament as a football fan, luckily as an Asian I don't really buy the hypocritical shite storm stirred by some of the Wester media :) The winter placement is not ideal but it's still been the most entertaining tournament I can remember.  

8 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

Just as much as any other major tournament as a football fan, luckily as an Asian I don't really buy the hypocritical shite storm stirred by some of the Wester media :) The winter placement is not ideal but it's still been the most entertaining tournament I can remember.  

The Winter timing is ridiculous, the way they 'won' the bid is rank. Personally, I don't think Qatar was ready to host an international tournament, let alone the World Cup. 

In terms of football I think it's been ... fine. I just haven't given a shit. 

5 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

In all honesty I haven't read too much into it and I totally get the human rights issues, the move to a Winter WC and the clear corruption involved in getting it in the first place.....but haven't they organised it quite well ?

Read a few reports about trouble with ticketing, fans not able to get into the grounds etc.  And in terms of organising it, there have been quite a few deaths... Forget about the cost, the carbon footprint etc. Not sure what it's legacy will be either. It's not like Qatar have the population or grassroots interest to fill many if any of those brand new stadiums regularly. 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

I was never that invested in this World Cup, just curious if anyone was/is? 

I don't just mean after England got knocked out, did anyone really care about it?

I'm equally as invested in England as I am Newcastle, so yep for me I really care about it.

That much so that I've not been on this forum for weeks :D

Oh and the pen yesterday for Argentina, Bullshit - the striker had released the ball and it was goal bound . It was never a pen - what's the keeper supposed to do - say the attacker is too close and I wont risk trying to stop it?

I do suspect it's fixed tbh. There's a few rather dodgy decisions that have really stuck out and ensured that African and a certain other Arabian team had favourable results - They tried it with Qatar in the first game, but I suspect its too obvious with a team that is that shite.

Finally- It's made me anti VAR and suspect that Southgate was right to complain about the referee instruction video he "accidentally" got access to.

The foul on Kane was a foul outside the box in front of the referee , saying "VAR doesn't check fouls, only penalties" is a bit lame imo. It was pretty bloody clear.
It's also made me more venemous against the England "fans" who are saying we are stifled under Southgate - we went forward in numbers, saka got fouled, they go straight up the other side and score a wonder goal - thats why you play possession football in tournaments ..

We narrowly lost to the champions, Kane missing that penalty left me in shock for the whole weekend!

Missed you, and I know you've all missed me .

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The carbon footprint etc. Not sure what it's legacy will be either. It's not like Qatar have the population or grassroots interest to fill many if any of those brand new stadiums regularly. 

Apparently it's net zero - all solar powered .. ??!?!?!?

Those brand new stadiums are all getting dismantled totally at the end of the tournament, along with all the fan buildings and the hospitality venues! What a massive waste

I've enjoyed mainly because I got to watch so many games at "work"

I've enjoyed it being more of an african/middle east fan affair, and really enjoyed Morroco and Japan's progress.

Not going to lie I loved the Saudi's beating Argentina.

Don't really care about England

Would rather have been watching proper football though

• Like 1

A mate was speculating that maybe the tournament comes out as net zero if you include the carbon that won't be emitted by 6000+ dead workers and their potential offspring. Bit bleak, but I'd love it if they had the nerve to tuck that away in the small print somewhere. :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spongebob toonpants said:

an african/middle east fan affair, and really enjoyed Morroco and Japan's progress.

Not going to lie I loved the Saudi's beating Argentina.

Don't really care about England

Would rather have been watching proper football

International is more "proper" to me, because you can't buy your team and have to work with the "locally born" <cough> hand you're dealt tbh.

The Winter timing is ridiculous, the way they 'won' the bid is rank. Personally, I don't think Qatar was ready to host an international tournament, let alone the World Cup. 

In terms of football I think it's been ... fine. I just haven't given a shit. 

Agree about the way they won the bid. We live in a crappy world where the rich rule. It's not something unique to this Cup so I'm reading into it only as much as any other policitcal shite. 

From what I'm reading most people have realy enjoyed their time there, especially considering its the first major event they've hosted. The amount they've spent, the infrastructure would have been great right :lol:  Most of the games have been great fun to watch. That's a great tournament in my books.

Edited by aimaad22

Read a few reports about trouble with ticketing, fans not able to get into the grounds etc.  And in terms of organising it, there have been quite a few deaths... Forget about the cost, the carbon footprint etc. Not sure what it's legacy will be either. It's not like Qatar have the population or grassroots interest to fill many if any of those brand new stadiums regularly. 

Sounds a bit like South Africa.

I think there were 8 construction deaths for Brazil 2014 and 37 for Qatar 2022 - although that is disputed by their Gov (which of course they would). I'm not sure we'll ever know the real number. I think they may gave got away huge numbers visiting the country as well due to fans being put off (for whatever reason).