World Cup 2022

42 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I can't get my head round this 'If Messi wins the WC it will cement his place as the greatest footballer ever'. It's one game, you can't judge an entire player's career on 90 minutes. There are over 200 national teams in the world and once every four years one of them wins the WC, to judge a player's personal success on whether they've won it or not is an absolute nonsense. But still, I suppose it creates a nice, easy narrative.

exactly the sort of easy narrative that will shut Piers Morgan up. So there’s that 

1 minute ago, thebrokendoll said:

straight from the tess daly phrase book that.

gemmill outs himself as a massive strictly fan.

OMG I've absolutely PWNT you here. You're MINE for the DAY now. 

• Haha 5

I hope Argie's win it and solely for Messi, as well as being one of the greatest of all time (that is indisputable) and the CRonaldo comparisons being a total nonsense, throughout his career (admittedly less so as he's got older) it's always struck me he's been one of the few players who actually looked to stay on his fucking feet as his first thought. when challenged, the art of riding a challenge is all but dead, that run/assist in the semi, he could have gone down a couple of times but didn't.

The times players go down under a challenge when they could easy stay on their feet is ridiculous these days and often they (the team) would be in a much better position had they stayed up, drives me nuts, defender goes to ground, brushes attacker and attacker falls down, aye gets free kick but the number of times they would have been clear in masses of space with huge extra xG is ridiculous.

36 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Be canny if he injured himself in the warmup and Argentina went on to win. I'd enjoy watching pundits and commentators try to construct the "HE INSPIRED THEM FROM THE BENCH" narrative.

Look at his face! Look at his inspirational little face! 

Pretty much what happened with Ronaldo when Portugal won the euros. 

As for the easy narrative, a WC is something that most players with a claim to be the GOAT have on their CV.

It’s usually a tossup between Maradona and Pele, both WC winners. Rightly or wrongly, Cruyff, Eusebio etc are part of the conversation, but usually on the fringes - probably because they never won the WC. 

If Messi wins the WC I think it will elevate him alongside Pele and Diego in conversations about who is the greatest ever player.

While Ronaldo will be destined to be forever remembered as part of the chasing pack. Which is nice, because he’s a narcissistic bell end 

International football was higher profile then but Pele and Maradona were at a different level to anyone in the last 20th Century. I’ve never actually heard anyone argue Eusebio was the greatest player ever though. Cruyff maybe. Similarly Ronaldo and Messi are easily the best two of the 21st century so far, irrespective of Sunday. You can tell you work in the media like ;) 

Edited by Alex

19 minutes ago, Alex said:

International football was higher profile then but Pele and Maradona were at a different level to anyone in the last 20th Century. I’ve never actually heard anyone argue Eusebio was the greatest player ever though. Cruyff maybe. Similarly Ronaldo and Messi are easily the best two of the 21st century so far, irrespective of Sunday. You can tell you work in the media like ;) 

That’s the thing though. It might be shallow in the scheme of a whole career but it Cruyff had won that World Cup, he may now be talked about as one of the greatest ever alongside Diego and Pele. I think the same will happen with Messi of Argentina win on Sunday. It will elevate him above Ronaldo in future conversations because it’s the one thing missing from both of their CVs 

14 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

The tone of Danny Murphy’s voice is aural botulism :cuppa:

He's far from a clever lad. Married to and then cheated on this lovely specimen. 

Match of the Day's Danny Murphy and ex-Hollyoaks star Joanna Taylor break  up after 14 years of marriage | The Sun

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

Naah sorry mate Gemmil is basically 2 nil up here and there’s 20 mins left of the second half, you need something special to get an equaliser :D

Well he’s definitely a big strictly fan. Does that count as an assist? 

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

And he did it with a ball 3 times heavier that retained water when wet and when defenders could commit attempted murder to try to prevent him from scoring… 

On shitty pitches. Just reminded me but I recently saw highlights of a game I vaguely remember seeing as a kid. Liverpool v Flamengo in the Intercontinental Cup as was. Played in Tokyo and sponsored by Toyota. Anyway, the pitch was bobbly as fuck. Liverpool had some great players including Dalglish, who’s easily one of the best ever British players. Zico (who I’d never even heard of back then) - his technique on that pitch. When you talk about some of the best players ever. He could do everything 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Well he’s definitely a big strictly fan. Does that count as an assist? 

Yeah you’re right,  he was saying the other day how the World Cup has played havoc with the Strictly schedule and that these frightful footballers should just all go away :gay:

Pele was finished at that point too. Only 29 but ravaged off being kicked up a height and playing round the year football since he was a teenager. He was still the best player in the best international team ever 

• Like 3