Bruno Guimarães

wykikitoon

• 3 weeks later...

Tin hat time, is the golden boy losing a bit of shine? Looks to me that if you put him under a bit of pressure he can go missing a bit. I know this is sacrilege but I think we’ve over estimated his current abilities. He’s obviously hugely skilled, am not questioning that. I think it’s fair to say though that he’s still in his “bedding in” period in the premier league. Better last night v better opposition than he was on Saturday but still. He disappeared completely at Brighton. He may well develop the necessary “bite” to properly dominate his opposite number in games  as he has youth on his side but for me it’s not quite there at the moment :cuppa:

@The Fish please provide stats to show my thoughts are either bollocks or a genius insight or maybe I have a point of sorts 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, PaddockLad said:

Tin hat time, is the golden boy losing a bit of shine? Looks to me that if you put him under a bit of pressure he can go missing a bit. I know this is sacrilege but I think we’ve over estimated his current abilities. He’s obviously hugely skilled, am not questioning that. I think it’s fair to say though that he’s still in his “bedding in” period in the premier league. Better last night v better opposition than he was on Saturday but still. He disappeared completely at Brighton. He may well develop the necessary “bite” to properly dominate his opposite number in games  as he has youth on his side but for me it’s not quite there at the moment :cuppa:

@The Fish please provide stats to show my thoughts are either bollocks or a genius insight or maybe I have a point of sorts 🤷🏻‍♂️

No. Just had a couple of quiet games

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I think it’s more than that, I’ve heard it  mentioned from time to time by punters at games and in match threads on here …

Disagree, but fair enough

Last night it was clear he was tasked with keeping Ødegaard quiet which he largely did. He can't do that AND demonstrate the flair we've seen in other games. 

Rather than going missing, he's performing a different role and very effectively too. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

Last night it was clear he was tasked with keeping Ødegaard quiet which he largely did. He can't do that AND demonstrate the flair we've seen in other games. 

Rather than going missing, he's performing a different role and very effectively too. 

Was he tasked with keeping Tyler Adams quiet on Saturday? 

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Was he tasked with keeping Tyler Adams quiet on Saturday? 

He’s being targeted every game now and we have nothing else in midfield. He completely dominated the Leicester game, and he didn’t exactly have a bad game against Leeds (Trippier had a worse one imo) if our attackers had put chances away he could have had an assist or two. 

We’ve been screaming out for CM help for a long time now, Longstaff and Willock are both willing runners but on the ball they’re both pretty weak which means the opposition are targeting Bruno and allowing the other two space knowing it’ll take them a couple of touches to control the ball. We gave Saka similar treatment last night with Burn, Joe, and often Willock crowding him out. As Strawb says it’s a couple of quieter games imo, he wasn’t exactly poor in either game and if we bring in players anywhere near his level to help him it’ll open things up a bit for him whereas currently he’s being heavily targeted. 

• Like 5

I think that, whilst he’s played deeper in his career (from what I can make out) he’d thrive further forward with someone of real quality plating in front of the back four. Also I think Joelinton not playing in midfield, whilst not harming the team overall, might be a contributing factor. Maybe a bit of a World Cup hangover too. With Brazil not fulfilling expectations and his not playing much on top of that. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

He hasn't been poor, far from it, it's just that in the last 2 games his focus has been very much on getting the ball back and due to the opposition' disparate strengths we've not seen the other side to his game. 

Against Leeds he lead the team in tackles, drawing fouls, was had a better dribble success rate than any other starter, completed more long passes than anyone else, only Dan Burn completed more short passes... it's just a different, less glamorous side to his game. To be honest, it's more like the player I thought we'd be signing. A lot of the ugly work. 

Against Arsenal he was, as Craig says, clearly tasked with keeping Odegaard quiet, but he still completed more progressive passes (ball passed >10yd towards Arsenal's goal) than anyone else in the team. Only Willock had a better pass completion%, and Bruno's passes covered more ground. Nobody put more balls into the final 3rd, or into the box. Nobody on our team attempted or completed as many dribbles as Bruno.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Howay said:

He’s being targeted every game now and we have nothing else in midfield. He completely dominated the Leicester game, and he didn’t exactly have a bad game against Leeds (Trippier had a worse one imo) if our attackers had put chances away he could have had an assist or two. 

We’ve been screaming out for CM help for a long time now, Longstaff and Willock are both willing runners but on the ball they’re both pretty weak which means the opposition are targeting Bruno and allowing the other two space knowing it’ll take them a couple of touches to control the ball. We gave Saka similar treatment last night with Burn, Joe, and often Willock crowding him out. As Strawb says it’s a couple of quieter games imo, he wasn’t exactly poor in either game and if we bring in players anywhere near his level to help him it’ll open things up a bit for him whereas currently he’s being heavily targeted. 

Indeed. He was absolutely NOT poor last night. Saturday, I think he allowed a couple of the Leeds lads to needle him but fucking hell, a player having an iffy game once in a blue moon is not something we should be getting on their backs about. We went to the league leaders who had a 100% home record, scored in every game this season and thanks in part to Bruno nullifying one of their main threats, we held them to a 0-0 draw. If it had been against a mid-table team I might understand the criticism. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Go Away Do Not Want GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

he's less influential this season in terms of goals and assists because he's playing deeper. last season shelvey played that role and bruno had more license to get forwards and create.

last night he was quiet offensively, as were most of our midfield because we were on the back foot for so much of the game. 

i'd like to see us sign a proper "number 6" and see him revert to the role he played last season but he's still a great option in the deeper role. from there he does a brilliant job in starting moves off, switching play, taking the ball on the half turn and drawing fouls.  he also does a lot of the hard graft off the ball and has loads more energy than shelvey who is the the option in that role currently, when he's not crocked. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Howay said:

Well I didn’t say he was poor, I’m suggesting at this moment in his development he’s not being as influential as the hype surrounding him (generated overwhelmingly by the likes of us) would suggest. I think his recent habit of  celebrating winning tackles and throw ins like a goal has started this train of thought….don’t get me wrong, my heart loves it, but my head thinks he’s over compensating for something… 

Aporeciate all opinions and thoughts, good points made by all :good:  cheers @The Fish for stats 

• Like 3

Just now, PaddockLad said:

Well I didn’t say he was poor, I’m suggesting at this moment in his development he’s not being as influential as the hype surrounding him (generated overwhelmingly by the likes of us) would suggest. I think his recent habit of  celebrating winning tackles and throw ins like a goal has started this train of thought….don’t get me wrong, my heart loves it, but my head thinks he’s over compensating for something… 

Aporeciate all opinions and thoughts, good points made by all :good:  cheers @The Fish for stats 

Aye should have caveated that as didn’t mean it to look like you’d said he was poor. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howay said:

Aye should have caveated that as didn’t mean it to look like you’d said he was poor. 

He’s the best midfielder we’ve had at the club since Cabaye.  Hes still young, he’ll almost certainly train on . I suppose what I’m saying is he’s not quite there yet :good: 

• Like 1