Bruno Guimarães

wykikitoon

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

most former players who try punditry are fucking clueless beyond the so-called big six clubs. you get better analysis on here and various fan-led podcasts because we actually watch the fucking games 

Most footballers are thick as fuck and pretty lazy beyond training and playing.  So it follows that most pundits are too.  They don'tt have the intelligence and don't make the effort to properly study what they are talking about.  It's telling that even sky sports are getting podcasters and the like onto shows to talk about their teams more and more.  They've discovered these people know a lot more about what they are talking about.  Yes they might not have the inside the dressing room knowledge that Robbie Savage and Gabby Agbonlahor have, but they're also not complete cretins who can barely count to the number they used to wear on their backs.  They look at stats and watch countless games involving their own teams as well as others.  They also see how the game is changing to be much more based on statistics.  The regular pundits, even the younger ones, come from an era once removed from this and simply don't get it.  I can see a time in the not too distant future that the traditional ex pro pundit is phased out unless they can show themselves to be a lot more on the ball than ones we've had for the last twenty years.

Edited by David Kelly
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, The Fish said:

Think Willock is going under the RADAR a little because of the focus on Bruno and Almiron.

He's been a vital cog in our midfield with his energy, link up play and helping to transition from defense to attack. He's multi-faceted enough with the ball to attract defensive attention that can open it up for others and his passing is pretty reliable. Not standing out in particular but you can't have every player in the spotlight at once. We've also not seen him look like he's forgotten how to walk/run in ages which I think must have resulted from that persistent toe injury that he was playing with.

• Like 3

Yep. You get the feeling he could go on a goal scoring streak at some point too. He's been unlucky a few times in recent weeks. Certainly does a lot or running and his range of pass seems to have improved too.

There's honestly not a bad performer in the squad the last few weeks. Everyone has done their job. Hopefully we can keep it there and maybe even build it upwards a bit more all the way to the WC break. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Craig said:

Interesting to note Willock's pass successes under pressure is only just behind Bruno and level with Foden. 

I have a real problem , I always see him as rubbish in the team - stats dont lie, but seriously I think we'd be better playing Joelinton .

13 hours ago, ohhh_yeah said:

John-Terry-TWICE-deletes-tweet-criticizi

He shouldn't be anywhere near TV imo , Carragher too - but Keane has openly admitted to deliberately trying to end someones career . That's no role model or man worth keeping on.

no matter how "Passionate" you are - trying to end someone's career and breaking bones on purpose - is a criminal offence, that's he not even been charged with and here's his reward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scoobos said:

I have a real problem , I always see him as rubbish in the team - stats dont lie, but seriously I think we'd be better playing Joelinton .

It will be interesting to see where we land when Shelvey is also back on deck. Will it be Bruno, Joelinton with Shelvey playing that anchoring role behind (don't want to call Shelvey a DM)? That could work because both Joelinton and Bruno get back and do loads of defensive work and Shelvey does offer another more versatile passer which could benefit Wilson, Isak, Miggy and ASM. Or will Willock keep Shelvey out? Seemingly it's Longstaff, Bruno and Shelvey that Howe has used in that more tethered midfield role so I can't see that changing to include Willock or Joelinton there as both of them have more pace to use breaking forward.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scoobos said:

A lot of his good work isn't necessarily doing something exciting with the ball. He presses well, he keeps attacks ticking over and all that. I do think Joelinton is better, but I'd swap Longstaff for JoeL, rather than Willock.

I mean, ideally we'd have a true blue defensive midfielder who would allow Joelinton and Bruno to play their football further up the pitch, but it's not January yet and really excellent DMs are a rare breed.

28 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I mean, ideally we'd have a true blue defensive midfielder who would allow Joelinton and Bruno to play their football further up the pitch, but it's not January yet and really excellent DMs are a rare breed.

TBH It'd be a great midfield to join as a DM as both Bruno and Joelinton don't shy away at all from defensive responsibilities.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, OTF said:

TBH It'd be a great midfield to join as a DM as both Bruno and Joelinton don't shy away at all from defensive responsibilities.

If we could find a Shelvey who is younger and puts in a shift defensively that midfield would be outstanding. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

A lot of his good work isn't necessarily doing something exciting with the ball. He presses well, he keeps attacks ticking over and all that. I do think Joelinton is better, but I'd swap Longstaff for JoeL, rather than Willock.

A midfield of Bruno, Joelinton and Willock wasn't really clicking because it meant that Bruno was the deepest lying and wasn't able to influence the attack enough from there.  For all of their good work, the two Joe's aren't the most creative passers so we were struggling to break teams down (this was particularly apparent against Bournemouth).  Admittedly it's less of an issue when Wilson and ASM are playing but imo it definitely benefits Bruno and the team to have someone else sitting deeper than him.  Longstaff is our weakest midfielder but he seems to be the only real option for this at the moment.  That would leave a choice between Joelinton and Willock, which Joelinton wins for me unless Willock can add goals back to his game.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

I see Joelinton as that DM - I thought that's how we setup earlier in the season, or am I mistaken?

I'm a season ticket holder now and worry that I'm watching different games some days :D I'm not a great fan of ASM either tbh , its the amount of sitting on his arse everytime he loses the ball , then isnt on his feet when we win it back.

Willock seems to just run about like a headless chicken most of the time to me.

50 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

A midfield of Bruno, Joelinton and Willock wasn't really clicking because it meant that Bruno was the deepest lying and wasn't able to influence the attack enough from there.  For all of their good work, the two Joe's aren't the most creative passers so we were struggling to break teams down (this was particularly apparent against Bournemouth).  Admittedly it's less of an issue when Wilson and ASM are playing but imo it definitely benefits Bruno and the team to have someone else sitting deeper than him.  Longstaff is our weakest midfielder but he seems to be the only real option for this at the moment.  That would leave a choice between Joelinton and Willock, which Joelinton wins for me unless Willock can add goals back to his game.

I don't totally disagree but Bruno has, perhaps surprisingly, been out deepest lying player in the last two games. Or at least that's what the heatmaps say. 

100% would have an out an out defensive midfielder instead of Joe, Longstaff or Willock.

12 minutes ago, scoobos said:

I see Joelinton as that DM - I thought that's how we setup earlier in the season, or am I mistaken?

I'm a season ticket holder now and worry that I'm watching different games some days :D I'm not a great fan of ASM either tbh , its the amount of sitting on his arse everytime he loses the ball , then isnt on his feet when we win it back.

Willock seems to just run about like a headless chicken most of the time to me.

Nah, Joelinton plays further forward, he is aggressive and disruptive, but he usually operates on the left of the midfield three, ahead of the deeper lying player.

He is playing CM or “number 8” as the kids call it. He’s winning the ball loads but isn’t sitting as deep as Shelvey or Bruno when he plays in the “number 6” role 

Look at us, discussing how best to describe a players position. Instead of pushing back and forth on this, we could just agree that he's a Mezzala and be done with it.

A mezzala is a wide central-midfield player in a trio or diamond, playing outside and ahead of a single, deeper midfielder. This role is usually reserved for a creative, mobile player who is given licence to get forward and support attacks, but still has plenty of defensive responsibility.

• Haha 2

I only hope that the club can grow very quickly and be fighting next season to play in the Champions League.

In fact, I hope that this year we end up playing in the Europa League and we can make a serious investment that allows Bruno to stay.

The boy is too good to be in a team that doesn't play the Champions League and I'm not sure how many years he could go without.

It is true that the Premier League has 6-7 very important teams and that only 4 play the Champions League (this year Arsenal or Manchester United are out, for example), but at least Bruno has to see that the project is to fight to be there.

In addition, surely, after the World Cup in Qatar, it will start to be much more important with Brazil. Which will make him a highly appreciated player by the best clubs in the world.