Bruno Guimarães

wykikitoon

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I'd be shocked if DMs weren't high on the agenda, but given the fees being paid for them at the minute (thanks Chelsea, you bunch of cunts) plus the Newcastle tax, I'd not be surprised if those players were outside of our budget last window. 

To be honest, if Howe and the players can get it to work, then having a fluid midfield 3, who share and swap defensive and attacking responsibilities throughout the game, would be a sight to see. But you need intelligent footballers, who communicate constantly. I have faith in the coaches and the players to execute that, but it'll take time. And it might be worth only setting out like that against weaker opposition until they're comfortable.

I think that’s his plan isn’t it? A fluid midfield three that interchange positions. A bit like Willock and Joelinton did down out left side last season to good effect. The problem is it isn’t working at the moment. I would be instructing one of them (probably Bruno because he did it so well last season) to just sit in front of the back four until we start winning games again 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think that’s his plan isn’t it? A fluid midfield three that interchange positions. A bit like Willock and Joelinton did down out left side last season to good effect. The problem is it isn’t working at the moment. I would be instructing one of them (probably Bruno because he did it so well last season) to just sit in front of the back four until we start winning games again 

Definitely agree with this. 

Fluidity in the centre and up front too would make us very difficult to defend against, no matter if the opponents set up zonal or man for man. But it's very hard to get right and can lead to spaces appearing and being taken advantage of by the other team. Honestly, I think a top tier DM would mean that the front three and two of the 8s could provide the fluidity, because they have a solid base to build from. 

Unfortunately we'd have to spend nearly all of our annual budget to get a really top class one. Either that or stalk Brighton's scouts and gazump them when they settle on a 20yr old plying his trade in Bolivia's Liga Nacional B.

• Like 1

Brighton's players are meticulously drilled.

They've turned Billy Gilmour into a player that couldn't get a game for Norwich to over running our midfield.

It will be really interesting to see how Caciedo gets on at Chelsea. He hasn't looked great yet but I think Poch will get him playing.

Edited by Holden McGroin

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Joelinton is the best defensive midfielder we have iyam 

Bruno is the best attacking midfielder 

Tonali at 50 million starts every game you’d think? 

Go from there 🤷🏻‍♂️

not sure about that. i think the role of the DM has changed because of the way sides play out from the back now. it's the modern way, isn't it? DMs have to do more than break up the play, win the ball and play a 5 yard pass to the playmaker, in the david batty mould. 

the DM has to be comfortable on the ball, able to receive a short pass from the defence when the opposition is pressing high and start attacks from deep.

bruno or tonali have the best technique to perform that role out of our current CMs - though lewis miley impressed me playing there in the pre-season, so maybe he's one who can be groomed to play there in the future.

i reckon joelinton's energy and the ground he covers mean he is better suited to playing in a more advanced position in midfield. he's our best destroyer but i don't think he has the positional discipline or the teqnique to play the DM role in the modern game. 

18 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Joelinton is the best defensive midfielder we have iyam 

Bruno is the best attacking midfielder 

Tonali at 50 million starts every game you’d think? 

Go from there 🤷🏻‍♂️

Joelinton is the most destructive player we have in terms of physicality and effort, but he's no DM. Defensive midfielders need a greater intelligence on, and awareness of, the pitch. You'd also lose one of his biggest assets; the ability to drive forward with the ball. He'll not beat a man with pace or trickery, but the power with which he attacks a defender scares the shit out of them. 

All three of them are best when they're progressing the ball forwards, either through power (Joe), passing (Sandro) or a bit of both (Bruno). All three would benefit hugely from someone like Rice, Caicedo, Rodri etc.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

not sure about that. i think the role of the DM has changed because of the way sides play out from the back now. it's the modern way, isn't it? DMs have to do more than break up the play, win the ball and play a 5 yard pass to the playmaker, in the david batty mould. 

the DM has to be comfortable on the ball, able to receive a short pass from the defence when the opposition is pressing high and start attacks from deep.

bruno or tonali have the best technique to perform that role out of our current CMs - though lewis miley impressed me playing there in the pre-season, so maybe he's one who can be groomed to play there in the future.

i reckon joelinton's energy and the ground he covers mean he is better suited to playing in a more advanced position in midfield. he's our best destroyer but i don't think he has the positional discipline or the teqnique to play the DM role in the modern game. 

Great minds.

but what the hell were you thinking when you deliberately typed out "teqnique"?

Are you just doing it to wind me up?

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Great minds.

but what the hell were you thinking when you deliberately typed out "teqnique"?

Are you just doing it to wind me up?

haven't had my morning coffee yet 

49 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Joelinton is the most destructive player we have in terms of physicality and effort, but he's no DM. Defensive midfielders need a greater intelligence on, and awareness of, the pitch. You'd also lose one of his biggest assets; the ability to drive forward with the ball. He'll not beat a man with pace or trickery, but the power with which he attacks a defender scares the shit out of them. 

All three of them are best when they're progressing the ball forwards, either through power (Joe), passing (Sandro) or a bit of both (Bruno). All three would benefit hugely from someone like Rice, Caicedo, Rodri etc.

You seem to be suggesting that Joe also isn’t capable of accepting and controlling the ball under pressure further up the pitch then?  I take your point about his energy and running further up the pitch but we have a host of options up there now 

Edited by PaddockLad

9 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

You seem to be suggesting that Joe isn’t capable of accepting and controlling the ball under pressure further up the pitch then?  I take your point about his energy and running further up the pitch but we have a host of options up there now 

It's a different type of pressure isn't it? The opportunities for disaster are far higher if Newcastle are dispossessed around their box, but when Joelinton is bursting through into the final 3rd, the risks aren't as high. You need someone like Bruno, who can win or receive the ball under pressure, and find a pass or move the ball up the pitch another way. Joelinton can't really do that. He can receive the ball around their box and either use his strength to hold it up for runners, or be that runner himself. That kind of play doesn't work in the defensive third.

• Like 2

Just now, The Fish said:

It's a different type of pressure isn't it? The opportunities for disaster are far higher if Newcastle are dispossessed around their box, but when Joelinton is bursting through into the final 3rd, the risks aren't as high. You need someone like Bruno, who can win or receive the ball under pressure, and find a pass or move the ball up the pitch another way. Joelinton can't really do that. He can receive the ball around their box and either use his strength to hold it up for runners, or be that runner himself. That kind of play doesn't work in the defensive third.

I don’t disagree with much of that but it has to be noted the first step on his road to Damascus was in defensive midfield. I don’t think Howe sees him there long term either so all this is a bit moot but for me if he’s fit and because we didn’t get that type of player in the window he’s the best fit we have 👍

5 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Here's a thought, is Bruno struggling to communicate with Sandro?

Sandro's english, as we know, isn't great - so is their unfamiliarity being compounded by not being able to get instructions to each other?

Bruno's English isn't the best either.  But yeh could be an issue.

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Bruno's English isn't the best either.  But yeh could be an issue.

It's not bad (at least as good as Longy's 😉), better than big Jo's but then they can always switch to Portugese.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He also gives away a lot of free kicks which is better up the pitch. 

• Like 2

image.thumb.png.7d0beee8eb9aeb4f8ee227848f7cd098.png

The Athletic here helpfully serving up more hipster football terminology.  

So, does our squad have the right balance of progressors, orchestrators, unlockers and box-crashers????

life suicide GIF by David

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

image.thumb.png.7d0beee8eb9aeb4f8ee227848f7cd098.png

Trippier - Progressor

Schar - Spreader

Botman - Aggressor

Burn - Safety

Tonali - Creator

Bruno - Creator

Joelinton - Box crasher

Gordon- Wide Threat

Isak - Roamer

Almiron - Box Crasher

Wilson - Finisher

Barnes - Wide Threat

Anderson - Unlocker

Longstaff - Orchestrator

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

That bullshit is at least a year old Gloom :cuppa:

There's at least 36 roles now, per position, and that's not taking into account low block audibles or mid-sector transgressors.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, OTF said:

There's at least 36 roles now, per position, and that's not taking into account low block audibles or mid-sector transgressors.

Divint gan forgetting your trequartistas. Especially in the fantasista mould 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2