Jump to content

Bruno Guimarães


wykikitoon
 Share

Recommended Posts

Bruno’s  not getting it in general, It’s still Miggy and Howe is being said to have made an arse of the transfer  window. Some are saying Bruno hasn’t done much . Which is true. I’m singling him out for the reasons I’ve stated . He needs to concentrate on football. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Bruno’s  not getting it in general, It’s still Miggy and Howe is being said to have made an arse of the transfer  window. Some are saying Bruno hasn’t done much . Which is true. I’m singling him out for the reasons I’ve stated . He needs to concentrate on football. 


"Stop focusing on your kid, dickhead!" :lol: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:


"Stop focusing on your kid, dickhead!" :lol: 


It’s certainly part of it…how many players have maintained a decent level of play when they start a family? Bruno’s not doing that but he’s still bringing the nipper out in front of 52k people because?…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, The Fish said:

 

He's playing averagely at the minute, which for him is below what we'd hope to see. But the whole team are misfiring at the minute, event he ebst performers (Tonali and Gordon) are only really looking good by comparison. I think it's a combination of key players being out of form for whatever reason (Pope, Bruno, Joelinton, etc.), the genuine quality of the opposition we've faced and the styles played by that opposition. 

 

e.g. Man City played a more defensive iteration of their system, with Guardiola shifting players into midfield to choke the influence of Joe, Sandro and Bruno. Liverpool were struggling with 11 men, but when they dropped to 10 they sat in deep, with excellent footballers. We struggle to get past a low block when the players are poor, it's nigh on impossible when they're good. Brighton was poor, to be fair, but they also focussed their play down the flanks and turned the centre into a negative space. 

 

For what it's worth, Bruno had the 2nd best pass completion % of our team (92%),  the majority of them were forward, made 3/4 tackles.

 

Yer boy Gilmour was 6th best at passing (88%) for Brighton, about half were backwards, made 0/4 tackles. 

 

The problem was our defence was wasteful in possession and made errors in positional and passing choices. Our forward line was starved of opportunities either through a stifling of our midfield, or poor positioning. We had a flurry of half chances just after we made substitutions, but in reality the only 'good' chance we had, was put away by Wilson We only had 9 shots, and only 2 on target.  

 

It's been said elsewhere, but we're essentially playing with three 8's and none of them seem to know when to go and when to cover. Tonali is avoiding any criticism because he's shiny and new, Joelinton is avoiding criticism because of his redemption arc and lower expectations, and so it's Bruno that's getting the stick when, realistically, he's not playing badly he's just not playing as well as he has done before. But that happens, I mean Trippier hasn't been anything like the presence that he was when he first joined and he hasn't for a while. But he's doing the basics right and he's a top professional so he gets a pass. 

 

I don't think there's any one player we should single out for criticism, I think there are issues with form for a few, and there's an issue with the system. 


i think you’ve nailed it about playing with three “number eights”. That’s the difference to last year when Bruno was quite disciplined sitting in front of the back four. The problem on Saturday wasn’t his work on the ball as far as I could see. He made a killer pass to Isak in the opening moments which took out about half Brighton’s team for example and tried to progress the ball forwards as he always does.

 

It’s a positional issue. I don’t know if that’s something Howe has instructed them to do - to be more fluid and swap positions so they take turns at “number six”.

 

 If so then they need to work on their communication so one sits when the other breaks because there were too many occasions when all three of them vacated the space in front of the back four and Brighton with left with acres. I would prefer it if Bruno returned to the role he performed well last season until we bring in a specialist DM. I think he fancies himself as a more advanced midfielder but he’s still instrumental to how we play from a deeper position and he helped us to 4th playing there.    

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the best Bruno had looked since he arrived was when he was played as an 8 (if memory serves me right) when he got his first starts here. In terms of his goal contribution and overall game. Last season he was integral to the midfield that came 4th, especially with Willock and Longstaff ahead of him. Having a great understanding with the latter in particular. But he’s never hit the heights of that first 10 games or whatever it was

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PaddockLad said:


It’s certainly part of it…how many players have maintained a decent level of play when they start a family? Bruno’s not doing that but he’s still bringing the nipper out in front of 52k people because?…


I know you've made your mind up that this is DEFINITELY the reason that his form has dropped. But do you realise it might be bugger all to do with that? He's playing in a different midfield now. And he was carrying an injury last season 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think the best Bruno had looked since he arrived was when he was played as an 8 (if memory serves me right) when he got his first starts here. In terms of his goal contribution and overall game. Last season he was integral to the midfield that came 4th, especially with Willock and Longstaff ahead of him. Having a great understanding with the latter in particular. But he’s never hit the heights of that first 10 games or whatever it was


He was magic in that first spell after he signed, playing further forwards when he had Shelvey sitting behind him.
 

I thought initially that we might have signed Tonali to release Bruno to play number eight again, after hearing people comparing him to Pirlo. But it’s clear after watching him play a few games that Tonali isn’t a DM.

 

Tonali and Bruno together in the middle with a specialist DM behind them could be spicy but we might have to wait for next summer window to see that. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:


I know you've made your mind up that this is DEFINITELY the reason that his form has dropped. But do you realise it might be bugger all to do with that? He's playing in a different midfield now. And he was carrying an injury last season 


Yes, there could well be something else going on that none of us are aware of. If it is as I’ve said and he needs to just knuckle down then the most obvious sympton of that was taking an infant on to a football pitch when you should be concentrating on the game that’s about to start. Not sure why nobody wants to accept that that’s the case but that’s down to you lot. It was fuckin ludicrous. 

Edited by PaddockLad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:


That’s not all I’ve said though. Up to you to have a look through if you want 👍

Can’t be arsed, you’re talking shite. And stick your passive aggressive thumbs up, your arse as well

Edited by strawb
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:


Yes, there could well be something else going on that none of us are aware of. If it is as I’ve said and he needs to knuckle down then the most obvious sympton was taking an infant on to a football pitch when you should be concentrating on the game that’s about to start. Not sure why nobody wants to accept that that’s the case but that’s down to you lot. It was fuckin ludicrous. 

That sort of shit is fine if you’re playing great (and like the social media bollocks) it’s not when you’re not. I actually think being a ‘family first’ person probably helps you as a player generally but parading a baby on the pitch is all a bit instagram shite for me and not the same thing. I know I’m a middle-aged neebody so I’m not really in a position to judge that side of things. But, if I’ve understood you, I think your more general point relates to his being a bit too concerned about his image and believing his own hype. Which is to the detriment of his game at the minute. I think that’s fair enough 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:


Yes, there could well be something else going on that none of us are aware of. If it is as I’ve said and he needs to just knuckle down then the most obvious sympton of that was taking an infant on to a football pitch when you should be concentrating on the game that’s about to start. Not sure why nobody wants to accept that that’s the case but that’s down to you lot. It was fuckin ludicrous. 

 

It was obvious to me last season with the video footage of him dancing about like a lass in his living room. No need for it.

 

He's self-absorbed and, from the outside looking in, we're pandering to it when he needs told to buck his ideas up. I'd have dropped him after Man City but I can see why Howe felt he might turn up vs Liverpool. I can't understand him not getting dropped after that, though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, PaddockLad said:


That’s an old saying from my apprenticeship days… if you remember (you might not, you’re younger than me??) in the opening titles a wee lass is seen running/skipping through the long grass of the prairie? ….. I used to get “here he fuckin comes, little house on the fuckin prairie” some mornings when I tiptoed into work, I did have quite long hair at the time.. it was probably that..

 

:lol:

 

'C'moaaan ya wee little hoose on the prairie! Faahkin bulbs bin sitting fae twa weeks waiting to be changed! Jesus, how much faahkin poppy is this wee cunt getting? Am away tae see if ah kin git a pey rise if this is the faahkin standard wuv goat roond here these days!'

workers-in-a-footwear-industry70s-e3k1c2

 

 

'Ah'll no fergit this shit in a hurry and when am tearing it up on some futuristic world wide web message board ah'll bring this up, Florrie, you better believe it!'

teenager-staring-space-520829.jpg

 

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alex said:

That sort of shit is fine if you’re playing great (and like the social media bollocks) it’s not when you’re not. I actually think being a ‘family first’ person probably helps you as a player generally but parading a baby on the pitch is all a bit instagram shite for me and not the same thing. I know I’m a middle-aged neebody so I’m not really in a position to judge that side of things. But, if I’ve understood you, I think your more general point relates to his being a bit too concerned about his image and believing his own hype. Which is to the detriment of his game at the minute. I think that’s fair enough 


As usual, you’ve put it far better than me 👍

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:


He was magic in that first spell after he signed, playing further forwards when he had Shelvey sitting behind him.
 

I thought initially that we might have signed Tonali to release Bruno to play number eight again, after hearing people comparing him to Pirlo. But it’s clear after watching him play a few games that Tonali isn’t a DM.

 

Tonali and Bruno together in the middle with a specialist DM behind them could be spicy but we might have to wait for next summer window to see that. 

Not many goals in that midfield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Not many goals in that midfield.


I dunno. There’s plenty of creativity there and Bruno was scoring for fun when he last played the number 8 role 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it was his positioning which disappointed me mostly in the last match. He got a proper telling off from Tripps at one point there. And then (from memory because fucked if I'm going near a highlights package for the game) for the second goal the young Brighton player received the ball between the lines pretty well exactly where Bruno should've been situated (at least according to Trippier's earlier expressed opinion). It's more complicated than that, of course, but it does seem that Bruno isn't executing on his defensive responsibilities as he should be at the moment.

 

I think there is potentially an issue here whereby Bruno thinks of himself as a more attacking player than perhaps the needs of the system are calling for and he is roaming forward when he shouldn't be. If we can assume that Howe and Tripps are aligned, then Bruno's role is to protect the back four. Perhaps Bruno has been given some license to roam about but if that is the case then it isn't working so Howe would need to revert back to being more solid. I think we've worked nicely with some fluidity in the team (Joelinton & Willock exchanging spots on the left-mid/left-wing, for example, but I don't think it's working with Tonali/Bruno interchanging between the 6/right-sided 8, perhaps because neither of them is fully enthused about the more defensive aspects of the 6 role). I dunno, I'm talking shite at this point.

 

The Liverpool and Brighton results were hard to take. But upon reflection we're not far away really. We have a much better squad. Tonali is a proper player and will settle. Barnes has looked quality. Gordon has started the season brilliantly. Both our strikers have a few goals and look in decent form. And the youngsters have shown at their previous clubs that they have some clear potential.  A few defensive blips aside, we look alright. The squad is absolutely improved and we're moving in the right direction in general. We just need to get the momentum rolling.

 

Now that some of our hardest fixtures for the year are out of the way (excluding CL) we should be pumped up and ready to fuck in the league come the end of the international break.

 

As an aside, I agree with PL's sentiment that Bruno deserves harsher criticism because he is an exceptionally talented footballer. I do think the idea he is distracted by becoming a parent is incredibly far-fetched, however, based upon a few seconds of footage from the pre-game the other week. If anything becoming a parent makes you more determined to do well in life not less. At least that's my experience. He'll come good. He's an amazing player and seemingly a really decent human being to boot. ❤️ 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, toonotl said:

I think it was his positioning which disappointed me mostly in the last match. He got a proper telling off from Tripps at one point there. And then (from memory because fucked if I'm going near a highlights package for the game) for the second goal the young Brighton player received the ball between the lines pretty well exactly where Bruno should've been situated (at least according to Trippier's earlier expressed opinion). It's more complicated than that, of course, but it does seem that Bruno isn't executing on his defensive responsibilities as he should be at the moment.

 

I think there is potentially an issue here whereby Bruno thinks of himself as a more attacking player than perhaps the needs of the system are calling for and he is roaming forward when he shouldn't be. If we can assume that Howe and Tripps are aligned, then Bruno's role is to protect the back four. Perhaps Bruno has been given some license to roam about but if that is the case then it isn't working so Howe would need to revert back to being more solid. I think we've worked nicely with some fluidity in the team (Joelinton & Willock exchanging spots on the left-mid/left-wing, for example, but I don't think it's working with Tonali/Bruno interchanging between the 6/right-sided 8, perhaps because neither of them is fully enthused about the more defensive aspects of the 6 role). I dunno, I'm talking shite at this point.

 

The Liverpool and Brighton results were hard to take. But upon reflection we're not far away really. We have a much better squad. Tonali is a proper player and will settle. Barnes has looked quality. Gordon has started the season brilliantly. Both our strikers have a few goals and look in decent form. And the youngsters have shown at their previous clubs that they have some clear potential.  A few defensive blips aside, we look alright. The squad is absolutely improved and we're moving in the right direction in general. We just need to get the momentum rolling.

 

Now that some of our hardest fixtures for the year are out of the way (excluding CL) we should be pumped up and ready to fuck in the league come the end of the international break.

 

As an aside, I agree with PL's sentiment that Bruno deserves harsher criticism because he is an exceptionally talented footballer. I do think the idea he is distracted by becoming a parent is incredibly far-fetched, however, based upon a few seconds of footage from the pre-game the other week. If anything becoming a parent makes you more determined to do well in life not less. At least that's my experience. He'll come good. He's an amazing player and seemingly a really decent human being to boot. ❤️ 


agreed, it’s the positioning that Howe needs to get them to work on

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:


He was magic in that first spell after he signed, playing further forwards when he had Shelvey sitting behind him.
 

I thought initially that we might have signed Tonali to release Bruno to play number eight again, after hearing people comparing him to Pirlo. But it’s clear after watching him play a few games that Tonali isn’t a DM.

 

Tonali and Bruno together in the middle with a specialist DM behind them could be spicy but we might have to wait for next summer window to see that. 

 

I'd be shocked if DMs weren't high on the agenda, but given the fees being paid for them at the minute (thanks Chelsea, you bunch of cunts) plus the Newcastle tax, I'd not be surprised if those players were outside of our budget last window. 

 

To be honest, if Howe and the players can get it to work, then having a fluid midfield 3, who share and swap defensive and attacking responsibilities throughout the game, would be a sight to see. But you need intelligent footballers, who communicate constantly. I have faith in the coaches and the players to execute that, but it'll take time. And it might be worth only setting out like that against weaker opposition until they're comfortable.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.