Nick Pope

You’re discussing goalkeeping wrong. It’s not one (shot stopping/footwork) at the expense of the other.

I think Pope is a better goalkeeper.

Southgate, despite his decent record has a tendency to pick favourites. He favours Pickford, his problem not ours. We don’t want our first choice keeper getting the pressure that comes with that job tbh, it ruined Rob Green. Who was a very good goalkeeper.

• Like 8

Aye you're right about that.

I don't know what to make of Southgate honestly, he seems to be so deeply boring, uninspiring and constantly picks his favourites over form, doesn't integrate players who deserve to be in the team over his besties.

The appearances that the likes of Tomori and Pope have had under him are a total joke considering they're playing far far better than their counterparts who are mainstays in his team.

They get no chance to establish themselves, one game here or there which is shite for a 'keeper or defender who benefit from getting to know who they are playing with and then they go straight back out for pickford or harry fucking maguire.

• Like 4

I've never really changed my opinion on Southgate, he comes across a young version of Roy Hodgson, the players like him I'm sure and he's sincere enough but he was largely mediocre at Boro in club management and I'm not convinced England will ever win a thing with him although we've been close which is to his credit, I just don't think he's got the winning mentality at the end of the day and would I fuck want him here, would anyone on here have him here? I couldn't really give a fuck about England so I've no real grudge against him on that score. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

If you even accept that pickford is top class with his feet (which I don't), how many times has that come to englands real tangible benefit compared to the goals conceded due to the fact that hes not actually a particularly good shot stopper compared to the other options around?

Has he dropped many clangers with England? I’ve always thought he’s solid at international level but dodgy with his club.

29 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've never really changed my opinion on Southgate, he comes across a young version of Roy Hodgson, the players like him I'm sure and he's sincere enough but he was largely mediocre at Boro in club management and I'm not convinced England will ever win a thing with him although we've been close which is to his credit, I just don't think he's got the winning mentality at the end of the day and would I fuck want him here, would anyone on here have him here? I couldn't really give a fuck about England so I've no real grudge against him on that score. 

I don’t think there’s a top 10 club in the Premier League who would give him a job.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

Aye you're right about that.

I don't know what to make of Southgate honestly, he seems to be so deeply boring, uninspiring and constantly picks his favourites over form, doesn't integrate players who deserve to be in the team over his besties.

The appearances that the likes of Tomori and Pope have had under him are a total joke considering they're playing far far better than their counterparts who are mainstays in his team.

They get no chance to establish themselves, one game here or there which is shite for a 'keeper or defender who benefit from getting to know who they are playing with and then they go straight back out for pickford or harry fucking maguire.

Southgate knows he is not going on post 2024, so he has no great interest in looking to the future in terms of blooding new players.  He will pick his 2018/2021 team until the end of the Euros and then leave.  Someone else will have to start from scratch then.

• Like 1

I have to admit I don't watch England outside of tournaments. I wasn't even that fussed when we got knocked out of the Euros.

I personally think he has done well in all the big tournaments. I don't understand the hatred but then im not invested enough to care but when you look at this overall record I think he has done well.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I have to admit I don't watch England outside of tournaments. I wasn't even that fussed when we got knocked out of the Euros.

I personally think he has done well in all the big tournaments. I don't understand the hatred but then im not invested enough to care but when you look at this overall record I think he has done well.

he's done really well tbh. i don't agree with a lot of his decisions but you can't argue with the job he's done - a semi final, a final and a quarter final is better than anyone has managed since  alf ramsey. he's had a bit of luck along the way and a good pool of players to choose from and has managed the england team more like managing a club at times, the way he picks favourites instead of form players but it's worked pretty well for him in the big tournaments so fair play to the bloke. hope he finally wins the euros in what will almost certainly be his final go at it 

• Like 2

i stopped taking much interest in the england team around the end of the sven era tbh. i still don't pay much attention outside of the big tournaments but southgate definitely got me interested again. i don't like his tactical negativity or his favouritism with underperforming players but he's comes across as a top bloke, he commands the respect of the players and has got them playing better than his predecessors managed 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holden McGroin said:

He has done well and I'm certainly not in the hatred camp. I was merely suggesting why he wasn't looking to the future. I hope he goes out in a blaze of glory. 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Pope out of the England squad with an injury 

He'll be off to the warm weather camp I'm sure. No point him joining england at this stage of the season, hes not getting a serious look in anyway.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

He's interviewed on the Ben Foster podcast and they ask him which teammate he'd want to be on a quiz team with. Properly struggles to come up with an answer "Must have been a few dropped out of school early", "Not a lot of outside careers there" then lumps for Dan Burn because "he owns a Kindle" :lol: 

Good listen to be fair.

• Haha 8

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

So no change there.

England's Nick Pope.

So weird that they point out he'll be out for.four to five month and then highlight that it will include a match less than a month away.

Mike Yard K GIF by The Nightly Show

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, OTF said:

England's Nick Pope.

So weird that they point out he'll be out for.four to five month and then highlight that it will include a match less than a month away.

Mike Yard K GIF by The Nightly Show

Knowing Howe, Pope will be in sticks on Thursday night for the first 20 minutes and then his arm will literally fall off. He's also equally likely to not have a dislocated shoulder at all, and he's just not sharing that info with us. Also, most likely - he's fucked for the next 4-5 months.