happy howe's masters of the early goal, wembley bound warriors v misery moyesy's relegation haunted , olympic stadium squatters

thebrokendoll

We missed Bruno today like. There’s no one else can do the sort of job Rice does for West Ham. ASM was an absolute disgrace. I know things don’t always come off for wingers but apart from being lazy as fuck he just hid most of the time. I think he’s already thinking about who he’ll be playing for next season. I think Gordon will start next match. He looked lively when he came on. Isak might’ve made the difference too. Draw was a fair result like. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 5

I would imagine there's close to zero chance that Gordon doesn't start over ASM against Bournemouth next week. That is unless there's much in this driving while banned thing. I'd be tempted to start Isak over Wilson as well, but now that he's scored he's usually very streaky, so it might be a foolish time to withdraw him if he can score a few and build up his confidence again. 

We are going to see this a lot now. Teams are going to sit in against us now. Now Miggys goals have dried up  (as expected) we are going to struggle to break teams down. Shame we didn’t go balls out for Maddison. He could have been the difference in the second half of the season. 

2 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

A bit harsh on ASM.  He just isn’t a  player for this team unfortunately. You could tell he just doesn’t know what to do in a pressing and pass team. Completely alien to him. 

He did fuck all in an attacking sense too and made no effort to find space when we had possession down the left. Willock was usually more advanced and covering helping Burn too. You can excuse him not tracking back. You can excuse him trying stuff that’s not coming off but keeping out the way is just totally unacceptable tbh 

• Like 7

It hits as a disappointing performance based on the result. Hopefully another week of training can get a bit better flow going in midfield. If we look at things relative to the opposition more so than the standards of our previous performances then I don't think we were miles away from a performance that deserved a win really. Wilson had two really good chances to win the game. And the goal we conceded was slightly unlucky perhaps although it should've been met at the front post by a defender before getting all the way across the box. But that sort of thing happens at set pieces from time to time. Anyway, taking the upcoming two opposition into consideration then I don't think we need to do too much drastically different to beat the two next packs of bottom half shit.

I hope Gordon starts for ASM. We certainly looked much much better when he came onto the pitch. His passing was sharp, he plays direct and he's fucking absolutely rapid. It goes against Howe's general ethos of making players earn their spot in the side to start him so soon but really ASM has  earned his way straight back onto the bench after today. I also think we missed Isak's 20-30 minute impact off the bench as he's been wonderful in most appearances since returning from injury. I'm really looking forward to him pushing his way into the starting XI because he looks on another level to Wilson. So either from the bench or starting, it'll be important to have Isak back for next week.

Onward and upward.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I would imagine there's close to zero chance that Gordon doesn't start over ASM against Bournemouth next week. That is unless there's much in this driving while banned thing. I'd be tempted to start Isak over Wilson as well, but now that he's scored he's usually very streaky, so it might be a foolish time to withdraw him if he can score a few and build up his confidence again. 

• Like 5

really disappointed, started off like a house on fire.

all those clamouring for maxi to get a start, me included, might well of blown his chance of another one.

can't believe wilson didn't bury that header. thought gordon looked mind, but all in all feel gutted we've thrown 2 points away. :(

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Aye. Not saying he wasn’t terrible in both offence and defence but he is like a fish out of water in this team. He is desperately trying to think “pass, pass, pass” but that’s like asking Stuart Pearce not to tackle. 

Well he made the manager’s mind up for him anyway 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

all those clamouring for maxi to get a start, me included, might well of blown his chance of another one.

can't believe wilson didn't bury that header. thought gordon looked mind, but all in all feel gutted we've thrown 2 points away. :(

Aye. It's strange but Tuesday night I wasn't exactly elated despite getting to our first final in 24 years. Just feels like we have already hit our inevitable bad patch. The first half was just a continuations this apart from the blip of the goal. Let's not pretend Southampton and West Ham are good teams and let's not forget we were at home.

Next 3 matches decide our fate imo. I was sad to see what I assume is the end of ASM too. Whatever people say, he was one of the sole players that gave me hope in the Bruce years. Fortunately Gordon looks like the perfect tonic. We also nadly miss Bruno.

Edited by Renton
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

He did fuck all in an attacking sense too and made no effort to find space when we had possession down the left. Willock was usually more advanced and covering helping Burn too. You can excuse him not tracking back. You can excuse him trying stuff that’s not coming off but keeping out the way is just totally unacceptable tbh 

Spot on. I don’t understand people defending him man. Gordon had more touches in his cameo than he had in the entire game, the bloke is glued to the line and wants the ball to his feet so he can dribble it about and not do anything with it. He’s been like this since day one for us, his laziness and lack of team play was forgiven as we had fucking nobody and no tactics but now we have a team all pulling in one direction and he’s simply not doing it.

Sorry like Holden but I don’t understand saying he doesn’t know how to press and pass as if that’s an excuse, that’s embarrassing as a football player those are fucking basic things. He’s an arrogant player who just thinks about himself, he just wants to be a highlight reel and imo it’s clear his team mates don’t think loads of him. He comes out with stuff about wanting to play with players like Isak, it’s all arrogance to me this beleif he is of that level when he’s never ever shown it. As I said he got away with it in a poor side as he has talent on the ball but compare him to a Mahrez who pairs that talent with work rate. He doesn’t deserve the constant excuses our fan base gives him, he’s a lazy arrogant player who couldn’t give a flying fuck about the team, look at how he constantly threw his arms up all game like Ronaldo does. It’s time for him to go, maybe a side like Lorient will offer him a way out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

We’ve drawn 10 games so throwing two points away is fairly normal tbh 🤷🏻‍♂️

Badly need a Man City win tomorrow…..

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

We’ve drawn 10 games so throwing two points away is fairly normal tbh 🤷🏻‍♂️

Badly need a Man City win tomorrow…..

Yeah, forgot they were playing. I hope Man City spank their arses and expect they will.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Howay said:

Spot on. I don’t understand people defending him man. Gordon had more touches in his cameo than he had in the entire game, the bloke is glued to the line and wants the ball to his feet so he can dribble it about and not do anything with it. He’s been like this since day one for us, his laziness and lack of team play was forgiven as we had fucking nobody and no tactics but now we have a team all pulling in one direction and he’s simply not doing it.

Sorry like Holden but I don’t understand saying he doesn’t know how to press and pass as if that’s an excuse, that’s embarrassing as a football player those are fucking basic things. He’s an arrogant player who just thinks about himself, he just wants to be a highlight reel and imo it’s clear his team mates don’t think loads of him. He comes out with stuff about wanting to play with players like Isak, it’s all arrogance to me this beleif he is of that level when he’s never ever shown it. As I said he got away with it in a poor side as he has talent on the ball but compare him to a Mahrez who pairs that talent with work rate. He doesn’t deserve the constant excuses our fan base gives him, he’s a lazy arrogant player who couldn’t give a flying fuck about the team, look at how he constantly threw his arms up all game like Ronaldo does. It’s time for him to go, maybe a side like Lorient will offer him a way out. 

Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

• Like 2

I agree. It is embarrassing but there are players out there that don’t suit a pressing system. He is almost a throwback where his ability has probably carried teams throughout his life. Can you imagine Ginola, Robert or Ben Arfa joining in a team press? 

anyway. I’m  equally pissed off with him. I was shouting at the screen as well. I just think he won’t be able to adjust to this passing first and attack his full back when the time is right. 

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Howay said:

When you say all that, you have to then wonder does Eddie need to be a bit more ruthless?

Should AG not have played from the start?

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Screenshot_20230204_202303_Guardian.thumb.jpg.61fdef7bae9356b7316cfbe47117c5ec.jpg

Well it would have been nice to see how we did with proper owners, but there we have it. 

Been nice knowing you all. 

Sure that wasn't hit by one of Longstaff's shots the other week? 

• Haha 8

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

When you say all that, you have to then wonder does Eddie need to be a bit more ruthless?

Should AG not have played from the start?

I think he got it wrong, we should have started Murphy if we weren’t going to play AG. I get what Howe was probably doing though as we have had so many games and he was probably hoping ASM would actually put in some effort given we just signed a £45m player to play his position, he’s probably also had ASM chirping at him about how good he can be. Backfired on Howe and likely was a lesson learned, I personally feel that’s the last start we see from ASM. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I agree. It is embarrassing but there are players out there that don’t suit a pressing system. He is almost a throwback where his ability has probably carried teams throughout his life. Can you imagine Ginola, Robert or Ben Arfa joining in a team press? 

anyway. I’m  equally pissed off with him. I was shouting at the screen as well. I just think he won’t be able to adjust to this passing first and attack his full back when the time is right. 

I’d accept if he just couldn’t fit in the system, but it’s more than that. Those players you mentioned all showed for the ball, took responsibility, made great passes and helped our attack - ASM very rarely does any of that. I think when people compare him to a player like Ben Arfa it’s a very favorable comparison, Ben Arfa had a lot of issues and struggled to fit systems but he knew what to do with the ball in terms of passing and awareness of teammates. ASM has zero interest passing to his team mates, while yes I agree it’s probably always been this way for him since he has talent in the dribble he’s also at fault for having no interest in adapting his game. As Alex said he wasn’t even showing for the ball, he was glued to the line and when a pass come his way he’d watch his marker move to the ball and he’d just throw his hands up. 

He played for us in a terrible time for the club and since his dribbles were exciting he won a lot of good will with many of our fans, I’m simply not one of them. 

Fwiw not meant to come across as having a go at you Holden, I think you’re being reasonable it’s more I’m exhausted with how much lateral our fan base give a bloke that I think simply doesn’t give a fuck. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Howay said:

Completely agree. I'm done with him. His nonsense Twitter videos don't help either. Hopefully we can convince someone to pay 20-25M for him in the summer.

• Like 1

My daughter could see it straight away with ASM so she's obviously a chip off the old block. :lol: There's a saying that no player ever DOESN'T try and I think ASM doesn't consciously go out to have a stinker but the lad just isn't built for this side, we've some outstanding talent but the sum is greater than the parts and that's because we are drilled with a plan and everyone grafts their cocks off, maxi just can't do it. But it wasn't just him that had a wobble, however it stood out a mile, my biggest worry was the protection he wouldn't give burn and the amount of times someone else was backing BDB up rather than ASM spoke volumes and also dragged a player away from his position. One of the plusses was Gordon and you can see straight away why we've bought him, he's tailor made for this team, such a shame Wilson didn't put that through ball away in the second half. Always thought today was a banana skin as they're far better than their position indicates and it was a case of being after the lord mayor's show but us taken the lead should've put paid to that. Disappointing result and long term we need a LB as much as I love BDB. ASM never starts again especially ATM when teams are more prepared against us.

• Like 5