David Moyes's Bubble-Blowing Bellwhiffs vs Eddie Howe's RELENTLESS Slaphead-Slaying Mags

Gemmill

Newcastle will aim to build on Sunday's win over Manchester United and maintain their bid for Champions League football as they visit relegation-threatened West Ham on Wednesday.

"We love playing at home and our results there have been good but our results on the road have been pretty consistent as well," said boss Eddie Howe.

"We're going to need to take points in this spell so we know what's ahead."

Eddie Howe was next asked about Allan Saint-Maximin's performance against Manchester United. The Newcastle boss said: "I thought he gave a really good all-round performance on Sunday. He's a natural dribbler, everyone knows that, but his decision making of when to dribble and when to pass was very good. He got an assist so the end product was there and defensively he was diligent so I am delighted with him."

Eddie Howe was also asked about Callum Wilson's form after the England striker scored Newcastle's second goal on Sunday.

"It's important for Callum that he scored," he said. "I saw him during the international break put in a really good shift to get back to his best condition. He trained really well so I had no hesitation in backing him, knowing the goals will come."

That was Wilson's eighth goal of the season and just his second in 16 club appearances.

Eddie Howe on Newcastle facing relegation-threatened West Ham: "It’s going to be a really difficult game. West Ham are a very good team who had a slightly different season with Europe and all the games that they’ve played. I think they’ve got an outstanding manager with vast experience and I thought they recruited really well in the summer, last year. They’ve got a strong squad so we’re going to need a physical performance, another good technical and tactical performance.

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe also responded to criticism that his team waste time during games. He said: "I think our first intention is to always play the game and, as I said after the game, we want the ball in play. I encourage my players all the time to get the ball back in play very quickly. We want to play at a high tempo and want to wear teams down physically.

"That goes against what was said about us. Of course, there’s been times in games where we have to manage the game. We have to use experience, we have to do whatever we can to get a positive result. I’m not saying we won’t do that either. Certainly that’s not our first intention."

On Joe Willock's potential injury, Eddie Howe said: "I haven’t seen him this morning so it’s too early. I think we’re reasonably OK. There’s a few tired bodies in the squad. It was a really big, physical effort for us [against Manchester United]. Hopefully there's nothing too major."

And finally, Howe on Willock and Sean Longstaff's England chances: "I wouldn’t necessarily push Gareth [Southgate] in that way because I wouldn’t want that done to me if I’m Gareth. Just speaking about both players, I think they’ve been very consistent this season and that’s probably been their hallmark.

"Physically and athletically they’re very strong players. Tactically, they’ve been very good for me. They play in key positions in the team so need to have a high understanding of the game. Off the ball they’ve been really good.

"I can’t speak highly enough of both. Joe has started to score goals which I think is very much in his game. If you look at the amount of times we cross the ball, he’s in the box. One of those occasions, thankfully the ball went to him on Sunday and he scored a massive goal for us."

• Like 4

7th best defence (34 goals conceded), but they've only scored 25 goals (6th worst).  It's not like they're not creating chances, they're just not putting them away. Bowen and Benrahma are their top scorers with 4 a piece.

Mind, when they've hosted teams that play a high press (Man City, Brighton, Brentford), they've lost 2-0. they're passive as fuck, only Bournemouth and Forest press less often than West Ham. However, they appear to play similar to we did under Benitez, passive until the opponent gets around the box.

Just looked at their fixtures, fucking hell they're going to struggle to get a run of wins going. 

image.png.3b087675560377a38632650804d1b551.png

I’m going to this with my mate who supports West Ham. Unfortunately sitting in the West Ham end. He sat in the home end with me at sjp for the reverse fixture earlier this year. I expect a better performance from us this time around. The last game was pretty much the start of our mid-season slump in form 

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m going to this with my mate who supports West Ham. Unfortunately sitting in the West Ham end. He sat in the home end with me at sjp for the reverse fixture earlier this year. I expect a better performance from us this time around. The last game was pretty much the start of our mid-season slump in form 

First game without Bruno, no Isak either.

On 03/04/2023 at 08:41, Tom said:

I’ll never forget the day Kevin Keegan signed Les Lerdinand. 

Great work from the photographer.

The look on his face says "does this photographer even know my name?"

• Haha 1

my west ham mate reckons a point for them is an excellent result, says moyes is far too passive and will sit back and defend against us at home. apparently they were awful the other day against southampton, despite winning.

i'm not as confident in this game as i was at home against man u. west ham gave us a good game at sjp. though we were missing bruno then i think and isak wasn't playing. our bench didn't look as strong as it does now either 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 3