Unai "Nee Baals" Emery's Beige Renaissance vs Eddie "Baals in a Wheelbarrow" Howe's UNSTOPPABLE Lunchtime Mags

Gemmill

5 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

On the bright side we've taken an average of 2 points from these tough 3 away games. it will also fire us up for the Spurs game.

I don't mind losing but......we bent over and got humped today

• Haha 2

Just hope for a Shelvey masterclass tomorrow to put the red bastards to the sword. Think Casemiro is back for them but they've got Maguire in their defence so Yang and Ying. 

Just now, Chaser said:

Just hope for a Shelvey masterclass tomorrow to put the red bastards to the sword. Think Casemiro is back for them but they've got Maguire in their defence so Yang and Ying. 

howay forest.

never, ever had a bad word to say about the good folk of nottingham or the breakaway UDM during the miner's strike me.

• Haha 8

3 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

howay forest.

never, ever had a bad word to say about the good folk of nottingham or the breakaway UDM during the miner's strike me.

I’m surprised they whinged so much. 

15 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Martinez is out til the end of the season and Varane is out tomorrow too. So it could be Brennan Johnson vs Maguire and Lindelof.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Martinez is out til the end of the season and Varane is out tomorrow too. So it could be Brennan Johnson vs Maguire and Lindelof.

Results went Quasimodos way today as well, he will be ringing the bell early to get his lot up for it. 

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

I went on a 7 game unbeaten run and was mercilessly cast aside.

you're fooling only yourself if you think knives aren't being sharpened.

raul julia GIF

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

I've not seen it, but I'm gonna hazard a guess it's the exact opposite to the over confidence displayed by some in dismissing emery's villa as a team that's only beaten shite prior to the match?

I mean it's fair to say we were awful today, but villa were very, very good, it was never gonna be an easy game.

:lol:

Aye but they were outperforming their XG. After looking at that and not watching a second of their actual football, I could conclude that we were going to win. They haven’t found a stat that measures confidence, extenuating factors like an opposition off the back off three straight away games and a massively in-form striker who was relishing a game against tired centre halves. Also, unrelated, when we were having our outrageous run last season, off the back of a new manager who took us from relegation up about 10 places, what did our xG and related stats look like? I wouldn’t be surprised if it was similar to Villa’s atm and we steamrolled Arsenal at home similar to how we were done today. Very dangerous to just write teams off on numbers when there’s so many more intangibles to football than that.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Gemmill said:

You sound like you think I should have continued, and I AGREE. But moves have already taken place and I've been cast aside. VERY POOR.

Way I recall you departing the scene was you'd managed something pathetic like 11 from 21, and then you turned up with a tremble in your voice talking about how you didn't know if you had it in you anymore.

And from nowhere Toonpack (ACTUAL FUCKING TOONPACK!) snuck in, did two games, and it all got too much for him too.

Understandable at your ages that it all got a bit heavy. It took the sheer audacity of youth to serve up 5 wins in 6.

infamy.jpg.78074a2f80ede0912c6f094beb6af735.jpg

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Also, unrelated, when we were having our outrageous run last season, off the back of a new manager who took us from relegation up about 10 places, what did our xG and related stats look like? I wouldn’t be surprised if it was similar to Villa’s atm and we steamrolled Arsenal at home similar to how we were done today. 

image.png.5ffe1330af6948efd2f8c9bc12e817f9.png

WRONG!  Our expected goals and actual goals were broadly in line, and our actual points were 28% above expected, not 52% like Villa's. 

I've used the 7 matches leading up to Arsenal last season, same as I used the 7 matches leading up to the Villa match. 

Can we upload wav files to here cos I think that's how I'd like your apology to be delivered? 

• Haha 5

xP for heaven's sake 😂, you can expect 0, 1 or 3 points from any game, that is definitive, you cannot "expect" any fraction of points outside of that.

If your xG minus your xGa is negative, your expected points should be zero, if positive you would expect 3 points, if they are the same (within maybe a small tolerance) you will expect 1 point.

If achieving more points than you expected using that method, then you may have a statistic worthy of mention, but to say we had an xP of 2.44 but got 3 points as some sort of indicator, (oooh we got 28% more points than expected in our last 7/8 games) is stats for stats sake and frankly, utter bollocks.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

xP for heaven's sake 😂, you can expect 0, 1 or 3 points from any game, that is definitive, you cannot "expect" any fraction of points outside of that.

If your xG minus your xGa is negative, your expected points should be zero, if positive you would expect 3 points, if they are the same (within maybe a small tolerance) you will expect 1 point.

If achieving more points than you expected using that method, then you may have a statistic worthy of mention, but to say we had an xP of 2.44 but got 3 points as some sort of indicator, (oooh we got 28% more points than expected in our last 7/8 games) is stats for stats sake and frankly, utter bollocks.

Do you know what averages are? 

Is there a stat for how unremittingly fuckin shit we were yesterday? How much more shitterer we performed for 90 minutes than any of the other shit Villa have beaten in the last couple of shitting months? We were a load of fuckin shit man, that’s the key stat . SHIT 

Thats the worse performance we’ve had under Howe since he became manager by some distance. I thought after an error strewn first half EH would get them in and sort things out like he did v Brentford and West Ham, give it 10, bring Wilson, Miggy and Longy on and we’d get more control in the middle, nick a goal and get away with a point from a below par performance . Instead Watkins ripped us a new arsehole.  Not seen a performance as good as that for a long time. His movement was fuckin sensational. I don’t think Schar and Botman knew what to do against him . The space he got was criminal mind, no one could track him. Buendia and McGinn made our midfield look pedestrian and lethargic . When we did get on the ball we could barely string a couple of passes together but there were also the usual 3/4 decent chances missed by us . Trippier could’ve been subbed at half time for being the worst player on the pitch. I could go on but I won’t other than to say both goalies were good, especially Pope who prevented real embarrassment.

My turn to drive yesterday and we were stood in the last row before the line of police and stewards who separated our section from the Villa fans in the rest of the stand. That, as you can imagine, was fuckin shit too :cuppa: 

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Is there a stat for how unremittingly fuckin shit we were yesterday? How much more shitterer we performed for 90 minutes than any of the other shit Villa have beaten in the last couple of shitting months? We were a load of fuckin shit man, that’s the key stat . SHIT 

Thats the worse performance we’ve had under Howe since he became manager by some distance. I thought after an error strewn first half EH would get them in and sort things out like he did v Brentford and West Ham, give it 10, bring Wilson, Miggy and Longy on and we’d get more control in the middle, nick a goal and get away with a point from a below par performance . Instead Watkins ripped us a new arsehole.  Not seen a performance as good as that for a long time. His movement was fuckin sensational. I don’t think Schar and Botman knew what to do against him . The space he got was criminal mind, no one could track him. Buendia and McGinn made our midfield look pedestrian and lethargic . When we did get on the ball we could barely string a couple of passes together but there were also the usual 3/4 decent chances missed by us . Trippier could’ve been subbed at half time for being the worst player on the pitch. I could go on but I won’t other than to say both goalies were good, especially Pope who prevented real embarrassment.

My turn to drive yesterday and we were stood in the last row before the line of police and stewards who separated our section from the Villa fans in the rest of the stand. That, as you can imagine, was fuckin shit too :cuppa: 

it was the manner of the defeat that was so disappointing. We were outclassed and outfought for the first time this season 

• Like 3

Been coming for awhile I think. Signs been there in games for a while, immediately coming to mind are - 2nd Half in semi with Soton, Cup Final, first half Brentford etc.

We managed to be shite for a full 90 mins yesterday, We've looked shaky at the back for a while now - Trippier was poor again (started when he gave the ball away for their first hit on the woodwork), Botman been poor for a few weeks, Burn been found out I think, Schar's been OK. Midfield over-run and LOTS of space exploited between them and the back 4.

Longstaff back will help, but we really MUST put Spurs away, we don't need a blip now, especially as squad is all but fully fit.

9 points from last 4 games, three of which were away, not to be sniffed at,

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Been coming for awhile I think. Signs been there in games for a while, immediately coming to mind are - 2nd Half in semi with Soton, Cup Final, first half Brentford etc.

We managed to be shite for a full 90 mins yesterday, We've looked shaky at the back for a while now - Trippier was poor again (started when he gave the ball away for their first hit on the woodwork), Botman been poor for a few weeks, Burn been found out I think, Schar's been OK. Midfield over-run and LOTS of space exploited between them and the back 4.

Longstaff back will help, but we really MUST put Spurs away, we don't need a blip now, especially as squad is all but fully fit.

We had a semi-decent spell early in the second half. I think the difference though here and the other games you mention is that Villa were by far the best team we have played against under Howes tenure yesterday. Credit where its due. I think they would have beaten anyone on the day, and if I'm honest, and completely changing what I said last week, I am more worried about them beating us to top 4 than Spurs. I think the gap will be enough though.

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

I think in the run of 3 away games against a west ham team fighting relegation, (who were the better side for large parts of the game at sjp and fully deserved a draw) a european chasing team at brentford and an aston villa side very much on a run an no doubt motivated to beat a club above them, then I probably would've took 5 points if offered beforehand. we got 6 and therefore I can't really be overly disappointed. other than with yesterday's performance, which was fucking woeful.

I'd also add that I thought pope looked like he's still suffering from a lack of confidence since the liverpool debacle anywhere outside the six yard box.

I always thought yesterday's game was the one we were mostly likely to lose, no matter what any mathematical analysis, pie charts or graphs suggested otherwise. and so it proved to be. we were well and truly humped by a team apparently fortunate to be in their current position on the back of only having played shit clubs recently!  :lol:

said last week I think on the 'other games' thread that villa looked a decent bet at 11/1 to finish top 6 and I'd have a tenner on it. never got round to it.... they're 5/2 now.  :(

• Like 5