Sandro Tonali

wykikitoon

I don't know how I feel about this one tbh. Gambling addiction is awful and he deserves support with it. But gambling on your own team is fucking idiotic and he would have known fine well the outcome if he got caught. It's not like there's no other sports in the world to gamble on if you're that way inclined. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I don't know how I feel about this one tbh. Gambling addiction is awful and he deserves support with it. But gambling on your own team is fucking idiotic and he would have known fine well the outcome if he got caught. It's not like there's no other sports in the world to gamble on if you're that way inclined. 

I suspect it’s like alcohol (or any other addiction) though where you just can’t stop yourself. 

I’m not sure how a huge ban helps addicts. He’ll probably have loads of time on his hands now with nothing to do.

I think you have to accept the punishment when you’re betting on your own team though. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I’m not sure how a huge ban helps addicts. He’ll probably have loads of time on his hands now with nothing to do.

Look Here Reaction GIF by Paul McCartney

Not sure of the alternative though. Fine for someone earning 150k per week doesn't quite hurt. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I didn’t realise the ban included his work on fitness/tactics at our training ground. I’m not sure how that helps with a gambling addict’s rehabilitation   

It doesn't. 

• Like 1

Aye I think the bans are disproportionate, especially when you consider the amount of money football is bringing in from betting companies.

Scroll down the page that we've got our statement about Tonali on, and you're presented with this:

Screenshot_20231021_120412_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8796f0a51fbb67ce07dffa68472a391b.jpg

I know our partnerships with bookies have got nothing to do with whether players should be betting, but if young lads with lots of money and time on their hands are vulnerable to gambling addictions, maybe their employers and the sport's governing bodies should have a think about how much money they want to take from the gambling industry.

Is it really appropriate to surround the players with betting company promotion and then ban them for a full season of their career (or more) if they use one?

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I think if your betting has lead you to cheat / fix a game then a a big ban is right.

If no cheating is involved then a big fine / ratio to your earnings and a month out should suffice.

agreed. who gets to decide thats okay to rob a footballer of a year of his career? it's an arbitrary line drawn in the sand by some random cunt - in what way does it help rehabilitate someone with an addiction?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Im conflicted about this tbh. I'm all for supporting him through his addiction, but giving him a hero's send off for getting himself a years ban seems a bit overkill imo. 

Thought Merse spoke a rare bit of sense about the sanction though

• Like 1

I don’t mind the fans’ reaction (although I totally get what you’re saying). I think it can only help in terms of him wanting to come back and repay their faith and support. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Deterrent? Or causes more footballers to hide a gambling addiction for fear of getting a ban?

Addicts hide their addiction from themselves never mind anyone else and unless you've got access to bank account details, gambling is the very easiest to hide.

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Deterrent? Or causes more footballers to hide a gambling addiction for fear of getting a ban?

My thoughts exactly, the clubs will help cover things too where they can since they are also massively punished by losing a player for so long.

• Like 3