Sandro Tonali

wykikitoon

4 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

I’ve not, I just think its all too much of a coincidence. And comparing Lyon and Real Sociedad as being on a level playing field with Milan is just silly. Sure they may have needed the money. Still doesn’t explain selling Tonali to a provincial English club who haven’t won a title in nearly 100 years. No amount of money brings a prince of the Italian game here at the age of 22 with his entire career in front  of him 🤷🏻‍♂️

In hindsight, you could say it looks that way. Both Lyon and Sociedad are very good clubs but they're not great clubs like AC is. Neither Bruno or Isak were boyhood fans who came through their system either. 

Agree wholly with the above. If you don't at least consider it likely that Milan had a knowledge of this issue you're credulous. Plausible deniability, sure, that's what they will stand behind, but all factors considered there's a strong stench about the whole ordeal with further doubt added by the timing and public nature of the 'investigation'. These sort of issues, involving multiple players across multiple teams, don't get discovered and then immediately revealed to the media.

Let's not also forget that of the big five leagues Serie A is the one with the most chequered past; calciopoli being the biggest (known) scandal in modern football (outside of FIFAs blatant corruption).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, OTF said:

Let's not also forget that of the big five leagues Serie A is the one with the most chequered past; calciopoli being the biggest (known) scandal in modern football (outside of FIFAs blatant corruption).

It's a widely known fact that Zeljko Kalac when he was no.2 keeper for AC Milan gambled away everything he earned. Meelan have a history.

SOCCEROOS goalkeeper Zeljko Kalac has laughed off Italian reports suggesting he may be implicated in the ever-widening domestic football betting scandal, saying: "If I wasn't playing for Milan it would never have made the papers."

The front page of Tuesday's La Gazzetta dello Sport showed a photo of Kalac entering a betting shop - a picture which he says was taken nine months ago by another customer using a camera phone. The newspaper carried the story as part of a report about the gambling controversy, which has torn apart Italian football.

Former Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi was questioned by prosecutors early this week as a result of intercepted telephone conversations. Magistrates in Naples have placed 41 people under investigation but Kalac's lawyers have told him he is not among them.

"Someone needed to make some money by selling the photo - I went in there to have a bet on the horses, big deal," he said. "There's really nothing to be said. I'm not involved in anything, I've got nothing to hide. The fact is they're turning football upside down in Italy at the moment because of what's going on at Juventus, and I've been caught up in it.

"If I was still playing for Perugia, nobody would care. But because I'm playing for Milan, it's supposed to be a story. I've spoken to my lawyers and they've told me there's nothing to worry about. I don't have to go to court, or anything. It's a bit of a laugh, to be honest. It's not distracting me at all."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/bet-shop-boy-kalac-not-happy-at-being-drawn-into-gambling-scandal-20060518-gdnkg4.html

• Like 1

The big Italian clubs are completely bent. That's news to none of us. We've been had and that's that.

What's interesting for me is to see how the PIF react. They won't like the optics of being made to look foolish. (Even though it's likely there's nothing that could've been done to avoid it.)

It might be the signal to stop playing so nice with FFP if they get the impression they've been had. There's obviously some plan in place behind the Saudi league transfers that have gone through recently. We might see that develop faster than was otherwise thought.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I am enjoying the slow burn of our development. But by the same token everyone is and has been doing everything they can to cut away the rope ladder behind them to stop us developing in exactly the same way they did in the past. If we did get funky I think I'd get over any worries about "not playing fair" pretty quickly when the likes of Klippity Klopp, Rio Ferdinand and the others start complaining like they're at the top on nothing but a shoestring budget and old school English true grit.

The reality of world football (and international business in general) appears to be that "fairness" is an advertising campaign slogan behind which hides skullduggery and nonsense of the highest order. If we want our club to rise to the top, then we need to play by the same "rule of appearances" the others at the top operate behind and not the actual rules which they implemented behind them because those rules are intended to keep us down and show us where we belong.

This entire saga could be a wakeup call for everyone that if we want to play nice then we'll be taken for fools.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, toonotl said:

The big Italian clubs are completely bent. That's news to none of us. We've been had and that's that.

What's interesting for me is to see how the PIF react. They won't like the optics of being made to look foolish. (Even though it's likely there's nothing that could've been done to avoid it.)

It might be the signal to stop playing so nice with FFP if they get the impression they've been had. There's obviously some plan in place behind the Saudi league transfers that have gone through recently. We might see that develop faster than was otherwise thought.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I am enjoying the slow burn of our development. But by the same token everyone is and has been doing everything they can to cut away the rope ladder behind them to stop us developing in exactly the same way they did in the past. If we did get funky I think I'd get over any worries about "not playing fair" pretty quickly when the likes of Klippity Klopp, Rio Ferdinand and the others start complaining like they're at the top on nothing but a shoestring budget and old school English true grit.

The reality of world football (and international business in general) appears to be that "fairness" is an advertising campaign slogan behind which hides skullduggery and nonsense of the highest order. If we want our club to rise to the top, then we need to play by the same "rule of appearances" the others at the top operate behind and not the actual rules which they implemented behind them because those rules are intended to keep us down and show us where we belong.

This entire saga could be a wakeup call for everyone that if we want to play nice then we'll be taken for fools.

I don't see PIF or the other owners tearing up the gameplan over this one matter. Eventually, there's going to be plenty of other bad transfers in the course of the club's evolution, as well as we've done in the market so far you can't eliminate all risk. Mind you if they stick with him and lets say he comes back and plays next year he could still be a great player for us for years to come. 

They'll be focusing on finding wriggle room to sign a couple of players in January to strengthen where we couldnt in the summer.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I think he is. Would be good as the number 6 when Bruno leaves in the summer 

I can't really recall him.  I know Liverpool were after him and it would be mint to steal someone off them :lol: