Other Games 23/24

Ayatollah Hermione

5 hours ago, sammynb said:

TBH didn't even realise that 777 partners were involved with Melbourne Victory but if what happening there is how they are going to operate the blue scouse mackems, bring it on!

So obviously the difference in money is huge but Victory have been one of the better clubs, financially and with trophies during the time of the A-League but the last few years, they have been all over the shop, under performing finishing 2nd bottom last season, runners up in 21-22 and bottom in 20-21.

According to this they have taken full control as of this season and the former chairman isn't happy or confident.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF by ESPN

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, sammynb said:

TBH didn't even realise that 777 partners were involved with Melbourne Victory but if what happening there is how they are going to operate the blue scouse mackems, bring it on!

So obviously the difference in money is huge but Victory have been one of the better clubs, financially and with trophies during the time of the A-League but the last few years, they have been all over the shop, under performing finishing 2nd bottom last season, runners up in 21-22 and bottom in 20-21.

According to this they have taken full control as of this season and the former chairman isn't happy or confident.

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of twats

• Haha 1

Not sure where to post this as the match thread title isn't up yet... but it seems Pep won't risk his key players in the league cup game with you guys. We have serious injuries and a paper thin squad, so they'll get rest in the lesser competition. 

21 minutes ago, The Fish said:

What's the craic with this?

Two things, Victory fans are renown for being absolute cunts (they have a history of brawls, pitch invasions and at the time were already on a good behaviour bond) and earlier that week the A-League association had announced they had signed a deal with Stadium Australia, in Sydney, to host the grand final for the next three seasons and, of course, regardless of the teams playing in it, so the Victory fans decided they weren't happy.

A bit of background, since the leagues inception, the GF has been held at the home ground of the highest place team that makes the final and with Victory having a successful history, they had held it a number of times over the years - not that their recent history would point to that.
But the association had recently lost millions from their TV revenue because there was a clause in the contract that included a "bonus" payment if a certain number of subscribers signed up (online broadcaster) and the association being the idiots they are thought it was a given but lo and behold, they didn't make the number, so they found a solution that no one agreed with.

To the actual incident - the Victory fans had made a big fuss about protesting that game, turning their backs, etc. Then one of their idiot fans threw a flare at the City keeper, he decided to return it back to where it came, next thing you know, the cunts jump the fence, rushed him, some cunt picked up the sand bucket, where flares are meant to be extinguished, and starts laying into the keeper with it.

A bunch were arrested, some have actually fled the country. The conspiracy theorist in me, thinks there is more to it - this was just weeks after Australia had had a successful World Cup and football always has a huge boost here after we do well in a WC but there is a lot of hate for the local national league from the other football codes, rugby league and aussie rules, and because that's where the money in sport is, in this country, they fear losing it. Rugby League matches currently are at an all time low for attendance and TBH, only Victoria and the weirdo states of SA and WA care about aerial ping pong. Football is the most played game here but it's professional competition has never cracked it - the other have a lot to lose.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

Not sure where to post this as the match thread title isn't up yet... but it seems Pep won't risk his key players in the league cup game with you guys. We have serious injuries and a paper thin squad, so they'll get rest in the lesser competition

For starters, fuck off with that shite, it's a cup and most would give their left bollock for Newcastle to win a cup.

Regardless the match is a whole 8 days away and there are too many pants pissers on this forum to allow anyone to start the match thread until after the Sheffield United game.

That said it's better than the final years of Ashley were most match threads didn't happen until five minutes before KO.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sammynb said:

For starters, fuck off with that shite, it's a cup and most would give their left bollock for Newcastle to win a cup.

Regardless the match is a whole 8 days away and there are too many pants pissers on this forum to allow anyone to start the match thread until after the Sheffield United game.

That said it's better than the final years of Ashley were most match threads didn't happen until five minutes before KO.

Don't get me wrong Pep will be desperate to win every piece of silverware going. But with De Bruyne, Stones, Grealish and Kovacic all key men missing we can ill afford another key injury. So expect to see Kalvin Phillips start. If he starts then the newspaper article is right, if he doesn't start then i'm not sure when he ever will. 

The game is sandwiched between Forest and Wolves so its possible that he goes strong against you and weaker in one of those games.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

Not sure where to post this as the match thread title isn't up yet... but it seems Pep won't risk his key players in the league cup game with you guys. We have serious injuries and a paper thin squad, so they'll get rest in the lesser competition. 

My Oil Baron Brother, I have to pull you up on this bit. If Manchester City  (who can replace Haaland with Alvarez, Kevin De Bruyne with Foden, and Grealish with Doku) think they have a paper thin squad, what chance do the rest of us have?

Like you've said, you've gentler fixtures in the league surrounding the League Cup games, and your Champions League Group is... accommodating. I'm pretty sure you could field fringe players in those fixtures and steamroller the opponents, while naming a strong team to face us. 

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

My Oil Baron Brother, I have to pull you up on this bit. If Manchester City  (who can replace Haaland with Alvarez, Kevin De Bruyne with Foden, and Grealish with Doku) think they have a paper thin squad, what chance do the rest of us have?

Like you've said, you've gentler fixtures in the league surrounding the League Cup games, and your Champions League Group is... accommodating. I'm pretty sure you could field fringe players in those fixtures and steamroller the opponents, while naming a strong team to face us. 

I like you're opener.

I agree it's kind of a bizarre discussion and i'm so grateful for everything we have. But sometimes we have to chat based on where we are to day rather than where we were in the 1998/199 season.

This season we're in 7 competitions... Community Shield (got scolded above for classing a trophy as lesser so listing them all now) , Premier league, the Super Cup, the World Club, the League cup, the Champions League and the FA Cup.

If we go deep in all we'll be playing a heck of a lot of games.

We submitted a 20 man squad to the Premier League. Rico Lewis 18, Guardiol 21, Doku 21, Oscar Bobb 20 not on it so it's really 23 (as i don't count Bobb yet)

Haaland, Alvarez, Foden, Doku, Silva all started at West Ham. With KDB, Stones, Kovacic and Grealish all sidelined, then playing those 5 week in week out means a weaker bench etc yadda yadda yadda.

Personally i'd play the strongest available 11 for the opposition in every game.

As an aside, an article in the mirror (i think) described us as being saudi state owned. They don't even try and get their facts right these days.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

As an aside, an article in the mirror (i think) described us as being saudi state owned. They don't even try and get their facts right these days.

You ever noticed that no one ever complains about the Blades being Saudi owned, why is that?

And you weren’t scolded, you were chastised!

TBH we here all look forward to the day we can be blasé about the league cup but when your last domestic cup win was 1955 and league title 1927, we’d be happy to win a paper cup let alone silverware!

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

some goal this like 

Listened to TalkSport for a bit this morning and they gave fuck all credit to Brighton.  One Brighton fan texted in saying it was Brighton that won so why is the whole show about Manchester United.

2 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Listened to TalkSport for a bit this morning and they gave fuck all credit to Brighton.  One Brighton fan texted in saying it was Brighton that won so why is the whole show about Manchester United.

hopefully a few more years of Man U being shit will change the narrative.

or just do yourself a favour and don’t bother tuning into that shite 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

hopefully a few more years of Man U being shit will change the narrative.

or just do yourself a favour and don’t bother tuning into that shite 

It was 5 mins walk to the shop :lol: I dont mind Goldstein but the rest are shite.

Brilliant last few posts on there, Brighton taking the piss at Old Trafford and the Aussie twats and Everton potentially going down the drain. But I have to say Man City having a 'paper thin' squad just stands out :lol: 

• Haha 3