Other Games 23/24

Ayatollah Hermione

On paper has there ever been an England side this strong? Players like Maddison and Saka on the bench, Grealish injured I assume. I don't follow international football much but surely this team should be proper WC contenders? 

Thought Anderson had declared for Scotland too, he's not injured is he?  Anyway, Howay Scotland., obv. 

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

On paper has there ever been an England side this strong? Players like Maddison and Saka on the bench, Grealish injured I assume. I don't follow international football much but surely this team should be proper WC contenders? 

Thought Anderson had declared for Scotland too, he's not injured is he?  Anyway, Howay Scotland., obv. 

Mebbes not the strongest defensively on reflection! 

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

Well that's turned straight off so I don't have to listen to Jill Scott, Joe Cole and Souness. It says everything about the former two when out of the three I'd rather listen to Souness, mind. :lol:

Souness needs to just drop the whole "Scottish" act and show himself in public wearing that England NT full kit he so obviously wears at home every day. 

3 hours ago, Howay said:

Apparently since he left Leeds Kalvin Phillips has started as many games for England as he has for Man City :lol:. Fucking staggering he keeps making squads, along with Harry fucking Maguire

Phillips obviously shouldn't be playing for England but we should be after him in January on loan.  

• Like 1

Maguire needs taken out of the firing line now, like. You could actually almost rely on him being solid for England no matter what but that’s finished, he’s a total liability and it’s actually spreading to the rest of whatever defence he plays in. Southgate can’t even argue that he has no other options because Guehi, Dunk and Collwill are all there now. The likes of Eze and Gibbs-White need to be getting more minutes ahead of the summer than Henderson as well.

Also, why won’t he pick any other left back than Chilwell or Shaw? :lol: Rico Henry has been quietly good for a few seasons now. And you’d think some of the U21s, that went and won an actual tournament without conversing a goal may have got a look in. You can understand it being difficult for Gordon to get in with the attacking talent we have but it’s a very different story in midfield and defence. But no, Gallagher must get picked over players like Ramsey or Gibbs-White because he once played for Palace. Johnstone in nets ahead of Pope for the same reason, I can only assume. 

• Like 1

The whole argument of 'Oh they've never let England down' thing can get to fuck.  Maguire when he was reliable for England was at least a starter week in week out for Man United.  He's not even starting for them so shouldbn't be near the pitch for England.  If Southgate wants him in the squad for some of the younger lads, fair enough.

Pickford too.  'Oh yeh, but he's great for England and his distribution is superb. L:ook at the saves he makes for Everton'  I can't deny his distribution.  But I would say Ramsdale is on par with him.  Yeh he has pulled some decent saves off at Everton, but law of averages say when he's getting battered every week he will pull off the odd decent save.  But what about the fuck up's he makes because of his T-Rex arms?

As for Philips.  Fuck me.  I watched his documentary on Prime.  The bloke looked and sounded depressed.  Come on Eddie, bring him to SJP.  He needs some mag love.

I think with Southgate, he's scared of being beat.  That's why he wont play Foden at 10.  Would rather have a defence minded midfield.  pass to the side and pass back.  Pass to the side and pass back.  We have a great bunch of exciting players, yet when they're on England duty they turn Biege.

I've just been speaking to a colleague and he said Southgate has been the most successful manager for years.  Successful at what?  He's got a bunch of great players and he's won what?  Here's a question.  Would Liverpool, Man Utd, City, Arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton, Spurs fans want him as their manager if their manager fucked off to be England manager?  Nah, didn't think so.

• Like 2

Successful at qualifying and not being knocked out by Iceland :cuppa: 

Southgate will walk away and the next coach will be someone who’s been sacked  by Chelsea ie Potter or Lampard and nothing will change. The English club academy system is producing brilliant players but it’s not producing coaches of the same standard. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I've just been speaking to a colleague and he said Southgate has been the most successful manager for years.  Successful at what?  He's got a bunch of great players and he's won what?  Here's a question.  Would Liverpool, Man Utd, City, Arsenal, Newcastle, Brighton, Spurs fans want him as their manager if their manager fucked off to be England manager?  Nah, didn't think so.

He's the English Chris Coleman. Blessed with generational playing talent, he's making it look like he has some managerial knowhow.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ackas said:

He's the English Chris Coleman. Blessed with generational playing talent, he's making it look like he has some managerial knowhow.

Roberto Martinez at Belgium.  Some world class players and he did what?

Southgate gives his critics plenty of ammunition with his selection choices and his somewhat cautious tactics but it's difficult to argue with his results. His record at major tournaments is SF, Final and QF. Who was the last England manager to achieve that? In international football you only have the opportunity to win two tournaments in four years, not doing so isn't in itself a failure.

The more pertinent question to ask is who would replace him? Potter is the only stand out candidate and he hasn't won anything in his career. International management isn't something that attracts top managers any more which is why it's a place for mid-level coaches and those in semi-retirement. Southgate isn't a great manager but who is any better that England could attract?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Successful at qualifying and not being knocked out by Iceland :cuppa: 

Southgate will walk away and the next coach will be someone who’s been sacked  by Chelsea ie Potter or Lampard and nothing will change. The English club academy system is producing brilliant players but it’s not producing coaches of the same standard. 

I dunno, there are some very good English coaches out there. But they're all either in good jobs already, or they know that the International job is a poisoned chalice.

• Like 1

I'd give it to Carsley and just hope he's a bit more adventurous in his selections. Top coaches are wasted on international jobs (you don't have the time to work with the players), and Southgate has proven that you don't need to be one to get to the latter stages of tournaments.

It's mostly about the squad, the spirit, and knowing how to manage your way through the format of international tournaments. Carsley has done that. Give it to him.

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

If give it to Carsley and just hope he's a bit more adventurous in his selections. Top coaches are wasted on international jobs (you don't have the time to work with the players), and Southgate has proven that you don't need to be one to get to the latter stages of tournaments.

It's mostly about the squad, the spirit, and knowing how to manage your way through the format of international tournaments. Carsley has done that. Give it to him.

Hands off. He's the next Ireland manager.

32 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I dunno, there are some very good English coaches out there. But they're all either in good jobs already, or they know that the International job is a poisoned chalice.

An English coach has never won the premier league :cuppa: