Sir Eddie's Champion's League Prospects vs Senor Nee Baals Conference League Spunkbuckets

Gemmill

Well. I think it's time to analyze the game, already cold.

I'll start with the best. Do you know what it is? I think Bruno played a fairly normal game, turning bad. He did not stand out too much except in some very showy long delivery. If we play like this, and Bruno wasn't at his highest level... Ufff. And be careful, because I think that Villa is a very good team that will surely be Top 8 in the League and that last year already made it difficult for us.

We made 5, but if it wasn't for Dibu Martínez, it could have been 7 or 8. We saw Villa's mistakes and we knew how to do damage by pressing their ball out and destroying their defensive line so far forward.

Fantastic defensive line. The 4 of last year (plus Pope). This can only get better. Stronger, more compact. Incredible. Of course, I think we need to sign a defender for when Schar or Botman are not there. The season, with 4 competitions, is very long.

Joelinton-Bruno-Tonali. That has to be the starting MC in important matches. Joelinton is no longer just a Box to Box who runs, fights and steals. He now understands and distributes, he knows when to pass long and short, he knows how to move around the midfield seeking to associate with everyone. Knowing how Howe understands the game, this team has to be Joelinton and 10 others.

Tonali made a sensational debut scoring right out of the gate and that makes everything easier for him. I think he is a player who does not shine in goal and assist statistics, but his job is going to be to do the dirty work so that others shine. This is his level and this is just the beginning.

In attack, magnificent. For me, Gordon was the man of the match. He ran every ball, he fought and he helped Burn a lot (for me, the most important thing). He has quality, his ball handling is incredibly good and he is in a sweet moment after winning the U21. The best game from him since he signed for us and I think he is going to become one of the players in the League.

Nothing to say about Isak. In the end, the millions we pay for it will seem cheap to us. A pity he couldn't hit the hattrick. That competition with Wilson has to make him (both of them) much better and he has to understand that Callum is also very good and that it will be difficult for him to play 90 minutes.

With Almirón he was the one with whom he had the most doubts, but yesterday he showed that he is still plugged in and that his level will only improve the team.

And when the team can relax... You look at the bench, and you find Wilson, Barnes (fantastic debut), two boys from the house like Murphy and Longstaff or Livramento so that the level doesn't drop. Only yesterday I had a small regret and that is that, after the great preseason, Howe did not give Anderson more minutes.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

A huge statement to the rest of the league that we mean business, our "purple patch" isn't one, we are just a top drawer side. 

Villa played into our hands with their defensive line, lesser teams will set up much deeper and compact to try and stifle our play. It'll be games like that where we need to be creative to get goals. 

It's still hard to believe how far we have come in such a short space of time. I'd go game after game not expecting a single goal, yesterday I was pissed off we didn't score the other three. Beautiful football 

• Like 5

I think Aston Villa will still do very well this season. Losing 2 key men would unsettle the best of teams and coming to St James' on the first game of the season wouldn't be an easy task for anyone. They didn't look really bad until the 3rd went in, then that back line was so high up and our attack is so ruthless they were torn apart time and again. 

They had chances and for all we could have scored more, so could they. And not because we were defending particularly poorly, but because they created good opportunities. 

Agree with what's been said that Bruno, Tonali and Joelinton should be first choice, they interlock and compliment eachother so well. Even with a below par Bruno we played through or bullied Aston Villa all game. If that's Tonali's debut, the rest of the league should be shitting ciabattas at how good he'll be once he acclimatises. Once he understands the runs and positions his teammates use, he'll be even better.

The defence was very good, although there were plenty of opportunities for Schar to release Gordon or Isak with one of his patented raking passes, but he never pulled the trigger. Perhaps under instructions from Eddie, perhaps a little ring rusty after his injury? However he and Botman marshalled the much vaunted Watkins to the point I can only think of one chance their striker had.

Diaby caused Burn a couple of problems, but he'll do that against a lot of natural leftbacks this season so I'm not worried.

Almiron was his usual self; full of energy, pestering their leftback, and occasionally frustrating. But what I loved was how fluid our front 3 was. Almiron was popping up on the left, Gordon on the right, Isak all over the place. Must be a nightmare to defend against. 

Isak is fucking class, that "quiet arrogance ' ( or confidence as I'd call it) shows in everything he does. His second was unbelievable. To force an error, control the loose ball, size up options, choose the perfect one and execute it perfectly was staggering. To do it in the blink of an eye is even better. I love him.

Gordon is mint and will only get better. His choice and execution of passes seems to be getting better every game. That touch for Tonali's second opportunity was brilliant, the cross for his first was perfect. Endless pressing, always an out all, just needs to add goals.

I'm not going to get ahead of myself. We thrashed a very good Villa side, but it's a long ass season and as I said before they were disrupted and not their usual self. The importance of this win is massive; our opening fixtures are horrendous and we could possibly have gone 5 games without a win. So to get one at the first time of asking, and a statement one at that, is huge. 

Man City looked good against Burnley, but not invincible, Brighton were not troubled by Luton at all, and we'll see how Liverpool and Brentford do later today. But even if we only pick up a couple of draws from those 4 games, it's not the nightmare start it could have been.

Tl;Dr I am, once again, zen as fuck.

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Isak is fucking class, that "quiet arrogance ' ( or confidence as I'd call it) shows in everything he does. His second was unbelievable. To force an error, control the loose ball, size up options, choose the perfect one and execute it perfectly was staggering. To do it in the blink of an eye is even better. I love him.

I don't even think he was consciously sizing up the options. Top strikers in those positions just instinctively finish. We can spot our own.

Chris Wood, for example, would have smashed it straight at the keeper. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

just to pick out this bit out of your post in particular....

I was on the very west edge of the gallowgate where it joins the milburn about half way up and in perfect line to the trajectory of the ball.

from  leaving isak's boot it looked like it was going over the bar, I was initially stunned to see it hit the net as were those around me.

I've subsequently watched this goal dozens of times again and I'm amazed how well he executes it..... fucking sublime.  :)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I don't even think he was consciously sizing up the options. Top strikers in those positions just instinctively finish. We can spot our own.

Chris Wood, for example, would have smashed it straight at the keeper. 

Oh aye, I don't mean he was scrolling through a list of possible shots, just that the dink that would have taken Wood, or Gayle a moment to arrive at, Isak instantly, instinctively knew it was the right thing to do, and then to execute perfectly... Thassaspiceyameatball

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Chris Wood, for example, would have shanked it wide. 

FYP

• Like 1

What a result.

We played some great stuff, Tonali looks sheer class. They had chances in the game aswell but we were very clinical.

We absolutely blew them away in the second half, could have been 8.

A bit of a reality checks for the Villains, their fans proving they are still absolute cunts, extremely salty.

We can't get carried away though, serious test next weekend.

• Like 1

Last season my hobby horse was missed chances 

My admiration for the improvement in Shaun Longstaff’s game knows no bounds. Tonali replaces him and scores after a few minutes 

Almiron and most of the other wide attackers were streaky and inconsistent in their finishing. Harvey Barnes comes on and finishes the first chance he’s presented with. 

As I said, everyone wants to watch Eddie’s Mags :D 

• Like 3

Surprised nobody has mentioned the queues to get in, an absolute shambles and wtf have we got to do to have a match delayed when it involves NUFC? And the fucking hammer blow was finally getting to the turnstile as the match has already kicked off only for it not to work, I heard someone saying it seemed to work for iPhones but not android and I wasn't the only one to walk away and miss the game. So having missed out on the ballot then getting a reprieve with a transferred ticket I still couldn't get in. Fucking joke just as we're getting to be a really good side as well. Only bonus was bumping into an old mate I haven't seen for years in the Irish club who was in the same boat as me and watching the rest of the game in there, (it was 1-1 when I got in). Need to do better than this for letting people simply get in to a fucking match, I thought last week's friendlies was supposed to iron out stuff like yesterday? I honestly can't see me going back again, as fantastic as it was watching the game back when I got in I'm just a bit disappointed to put it mildly with how yesterday ended up going.

• Sad 3
  • Jaysus... 1

3 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned the queues to get in, an absolute shambles and wtf have we got to do to have a match delayed when it involves NUFC? And the fucking hammer blow was finally getting to the turnstile as the match has already kicked off only for it not to work, I heard someone saying it seemed to work for iPhones but not android and I wasn't the only one to walk away and miss the game. So having missed out on the ballot then getting a reprieve with a transferred ticket I still couldn't get in. Fucking joke just as we're getting to be a really good side as well. Only bonus was bumping into an old mate I haven't seen for years in the Irish club who was in the same boat as me and watching the rest of the game in there, (it was 1-1 when I got in). Need to do better than this for letting people simply get in to a fucking match, I thought last week's friendlies was supposed to iron out stuff like yesterday? I honestly can't see me going back again, as fantastic as it was watching the game back when I got in I'm just a bit disappointed to put it mildly with how yesterday ended up going.

was pandemonium at the top of the steps outside the west corner 20 minutes before kick off, didn't look there was a hope in hell of making kick off, I did, well in the stand but not to me seat.

it appears if one digital ticket doesn't turn the screen green straight away it suddenly causes a huge delay as its being frantically retried over and over again.

i fail to see in any way shape or form what they're achieving with this, it certainly offers nowt with regard to speed or ease of access to that of sticking a paper ticket up to a barcode reader. and while I appreciate every little might help I doubt very much producing 15,000 paper tickets 19 times is gonna save the rain forests. you could probably make them out of one the leylandii trees at the bottom of me garden and they'd be welcome to come and chop them fuckers down if they like.

all a bit sinister I think.

gutted for you mate.  :(

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

was pandemonium at the top of the steps outside the west corner 20 minutes before kick off, didn't look there was a hope in hell of making kick off, I did, well in the stand but not to me seat.

it appears if one digital ticket doesn't turn the screen green straight away it suddenly causes a huge delay as its being frantically retried over and over again.

i fail to see in any way shape or form what they're achieving with this, it certainly offers nowt with regard to speed or ease of access to that of sticking a paper ticket up to a barcode reader. and while I appreciate every little might help I doubt very much producing 15,000 paper tickets 19 times is gonna save the rain forests. you could probably make them out of one the leylandii trees at the bottom of me garden and they'd be welcome to come and chop them fuckers down if they like.

all a bit sinister I think.

gutted for you mate.  :(

Its nowt to do with the sustainability agenda, it's all about control. Not just us, all of the top teams (and Sunderland). 

HMHM are you getting a refund? Could they not just manually inspect your ticket and let you in? Some older phones might not have NFC I guess.

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Renton said:

Its nowt to do with the sustainability agenda, it's all about control. Not just us, all of the top teams. 

HMHM are you getting a refund? Could they not just manually inspect your ticket and let you in? Some older phones might not have NFC I guess.

my ticket in google wallet on android appeared completely different to that of me two mates on iphone which concerned me a bit to be honest. also, on android I had a bit at the bottom which I could click on saying 'show code' and opened up a second screen with an elongated qr code thing, which I must admit I was curious to know if it would've operated the turnstile reader too? this wasn't on the iphone version. certainly something which you could've screenshot and potentially transfered??

ps... technology type stuff isn't really my thing!

Edited by thebrokendoll

58 minutes ago, Renton said:

Its nowt to do with the sustainability agenda, it's all about control. Not just us, all of the top teams (and Sunderland). 

It was a transferred ticket and I had no idea about NFC needing to be on, I thought the download would be enough? 

34 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

It was a transferred ticket and I had no idea about NFC needing to be on, I thought the download would be enough? 

I dunno, I didn't go. My wife and Kid1 did and said there no issues in the  NW corner. You will need NFC on though. Also don't know if you can use QR, I don't think you can 

7 minutes ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

It turns out you can. I have to admit that I was sad enough to buy it based on this comment alone. I did stumble across the drink rather than seek it out so not too sad.

IMG-20230813-WA0001.jpg

You’re going to lose your hand if you don’t loosen that watch strap mate. :lol:

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

You’re going to lose your hand if you don’t loosen that watch strap mate. :lol:

I thought that when I saw the photo. I haven't got the foggiest what is going on as I haven't loosened it and it is on my wrist fine. It looks the equivalent of trying to get into an old pair of jeans. Not speaking from experience,  of course.

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

I dunno, I didn't go. My wife and Kid1 did and said there no issues in the  NW corner. You will need NFC on though. Also don't know if you can use QR, I don't think you can 

There was bedlam in the east stand and the gallowgate corner. The download had a barcode on so surely this was enough? The information I saw on it asked fans to make sure they already had the ticket downloaded before they got to the game. I read nothing about NFC. 

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

answered me own question on this....

just tried to screenshot the qr/barcode thing and it won't allow me phone to do it.

I suppose that might suggest you could scan the code as well as hold the front of ticket to the reader. on android this was a sideways wifi symbol sort of thing, on me mates iphones they had a flashing phone symbol saying 'hold to reader'

anyway, would appear your suggestion to hmhm about having nfc switched on could be key, I'd never even heard of it till the other day and it appears it's been on me phone for 2 years on a s10+ and the best part 2 years on a s22.

could've quite easily ended up back in the percy for the match meself yesterday by the sounds of it.

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

Just looked at the website and it says you need NFC on. Mine wasn't. Should've been clearer on this. 

You’d imagine that, for the first game of the season, putting a bod on each turnstile to inform/assist anyone having trouble with this wouldn’t have been too much trouble. 

Contact the club, tell them what happened, see what response you get. 

If they don’t know what the problems are, they can’t fix them- they may just point to the bit on the website, but at least you’ll have registered your complaint with them. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

It turns out you can. I have to admit that I was sad enough to buy it based on this comment alone. I did stumble across the drink rather than seek it out so not too sad.

IMG-20230813-WA0001.jpg

How exactly did you take this photo? 

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Just looked at the website and it says you need NFC on. Mine wasn't. Should've been clearer on this. 

Well it's ridiculous that a) they don't have a work around for when someone doesn't have it turned on or b) they don't have someone there saying "is NFC turned on?" to everyone who has problems.

I'd still put a complaint in if I was you, see if you can get your money back. It's appalling that you just got turned away when you'd paid to go.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Last season my hobby horse was missed chances 

My admiration for the improvement in Shaun Longstaff’s game knows no bounds. Tonali replaces him and scores after a few minutes 

Almiron and most of the other wide attackers were streaky and inconsistent in their finishing. Harvey Barnes comes on and finishes the first chance he’s presented with. 

As I said, everyone wants to watch Eddie’s Mags :D 

just about the highlighted bit....

aside from him assisting wilson's goal, the pass he played to wilson for the one he missed was more or less from exactly the same position he was in from where he himself scored.

I appreciate it was unselfish but I reckon he'd have probably buried that one too. some debut 20 minutes that would've been!  :)

• Like 3