Lewis Hall

LongTimeAdmirer

It's a strange situation to see him repeatedly overlooked for appearances. It has to be something related to on pitch time in the contract. As you say, Alex, what else could it be in contractual terms other than something strictly quantifiable? If it isn't appearances, then it could be minutes based. If it's something else like clean sheets or something related to defensive performances then fuckin play the kid cause there's zero chance we're keeping clean sheets at the moment. :lol:

As for the signing itself, I was excited initially as he seemed a clear upgrade on Burn based on performances for Chelsea. It appeared to be a clever bit of business to get perhaps the best young English leftback in the country. I'm still hopeful but it really doesn't look likely at this stage. It's a real shame if he goes back to Chelsea. I imagine it's FFP causing the issue. Seems like an Ashworth signing made for the future. And perhaps Howe sees it as valuable funds which could better be put to use for the present. It's perhaps the case where both are correct as both are looking to prioritise what's best in accordance with their remit, long-term development versus immediate on the pitch performance.

The real disappointment comes when you consider that at first it appeared that the signing represented both because he seems a classy young player.

I guess Howe would prefer the money spent on a different position. Leftback has been a bit of a funny position for us in recent seasons because it looks like Targett's signing was similar in a lot of ways. You got the impression that Howe didn't fancy Targett either at the time. But we ended up with him because others liked the deal.

• Like 4

I remember Armando Broja's loan transfer from Chelsea to Fulham had a weird clause in it:

As part of the deal, Fulham will pay Chelsea a loan fee of up to £4million, however, that could potentially drop to zero after a certain number of appearances.

If you think about it, it's a really strange clause to include, you'd think they'd want the funds to help with their FFP issues?

So it's likely that they have also included something hinky in Lewis Hall's agreement.

• Like 3

It’s a bizarre situation. I was excited when we signed him. Left back is an obvious weakness and he impressed me both times we played Chelsea last season.

I expected him to be slowly introduced before making the left back slot his own around autumn/winter time. Something isn’t right with the deal. I imagine he’ll end up going back to Chelsea given Howe’s reluctance to use him - even when injuries and Burn’s poor form made him an obvious rotation option. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’s a bizarre situation. I was excited when we signed him. Left back is an obvious weakness and he impressed me both times we played Chelsea last season.

I expected him to be slowly introduced before making the left back slot his own around autumn/winter time. Something isn’t right with the deal. I imagine he’ll end up going back to Chelsea given Howe’s reluctance to use him - even when injuries and Burn’s poor form made him an obvious rotation option. 

I suppose the other argument is that Howe doesn't want to drop him into the LB position when we are under pressure, because it could destroy his confidence. 

However, I think you are probably right and he is going back to Chelsea and will end up an England regular. :smile:

When he has played for us he's looked defensively a bit suspect, but really you'd need to give him a run in the side starting some games to get a true measure of his current defensive ability. In terms of set pieces it's a huge step down to go from Burn to him, especially when we also don't have Joelinton. Miley, as a 17 year old becomes our most physically imposing player other than our centre backs. If Howe is going to continue to persist with Burn then switching to a back five with Hall and Trippier could make sense IF Howe does see a future for Hall. Harsh on Livramento that though, as he's never looked out of place on the left and is strong in both attack and defense. If there's no future for Hall then the back five with Trippier and Livramento is again worth a try as defensively what we are playing with currently is clearly not working. Whilst we don't have any striking options it's a good time to try it as even when he's played up front Gordon plays a lot deeper than a regular striker.

• Like 1

Seeing Hall take part in the media stuff with the other lads like Anderson and Bruno, you'd think that he is part of the future of the club. I just can't see it though, given there's been so many opportunities to use him. 

2 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Seeing Hall take part in the media stuff with the other lads like Anderson and Bruno, you'd think that he is part of the future of the club. I just can't see it though, given there's been so many opportunities to use him. 

It would be a pretty hard cold shoulder if  they didn’t include him.

if he can’t get a game in a season where we could barely field a fit eleven then the writing is on the wall.

i suspect Eddie didn’t want him but the club (Ashworth?) thought it was too good of a deal to turn down.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what to make of Hall. None of it has a clear answer beacuse of the decisions made with other players.

If Howe didn't want to use him at all, then having him on the bench does not tie in with what happened to Fraser. Tino also played well but was dropped as soon as Burn and Trippier were available.

Tino has had far more of an opportunity than Hall has. There is a difference in age though.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Miley when Willock, Joelinton and Anderson come back.

It took ages for Bruno to get his chance and he was a seasoned professional and Tonali hardly played before his ban. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GrahamTaylor5 said:

I'm not sure what to make of Hall. None of it has a clear answer beacuse of the decisions made with other players.

If Howe didn't want to use him at all, then having him on the bench does not tie in with what happened to Fraser. Tino also played well but was dropped as soon as Burn and Trippier were available.

Tino has had far more of an opportunity than Hall has. There is a difference in age though.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Miley when Willock, Joelinton and Anderson come back.

It took ages for Bruno to get his chance and he was a seasoned professional and Tonali hardly played before his ban. 

wasnt Fraser a rat?

He most likely has a good attitude but Howe doesn’t think he can step it up (yet).

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 2

The most telling comment Howe has made with regards to Hall was when he said "it's up to Lewis". To me that suggests problems with his attitude/application.

I imagine Howe's training demands are much harder than anything he's dealt with before.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

The most telling comment Howe has made with regards to Hall was when he said "it's up to Lewis". To me that suggests problems with his attitude/application.

I imagine Howe's training demands are much harder than anything he's dealt with before.

There was a video Q&A thing a while back that I saw, and one of the questions was “who’s last into training” two of the senior players said “Lewis Hall” with zero hesitation,  one of them was Tripps IIRC

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

There was a video Q&A thing a while back that I saw, and one of the questions was “who’s last into training” two of the senior players said “Lewis Hall” with zero hesitation,  one of them was Tripps IIRC

Aye, I heard similar. Might’ve been you on here actually. And I thought to myself “If that’s what he’s like when he’s trying to impress. At the club he supposedly supports….” 

• Like 4

So this is true, I checked, but I’ve no idea when it happened. Don’t know if he had that he was a NUFC player in his bio too as some have suggested, thats not there either if he had it 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_3822.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Alex said:

Looks to be even better at falling over than Longstaff just going off that 

Harsh but probably accurate, at least his passes seem to make it to a team-mate.

• Haha 1

Don't think Eddie has any issues with his attacking qualities, just don't think he trusts him defensively yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the clause is we need to finish above 15th to activate the permanent transfer.

I suspect neither the player or the club want this deal to go through.  Maybe he’ll get sold on immediately.  A loan away would be a minimum I suspect.

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Pointless since Eddie doesnt rate him

I think he's said he was always one for the future.

I don't think it is a case of not trusting him. I think Howe does not like using the kids. He dropped Tino as soon as he got the chance, even when it looked best to drop Burn. He also put Miley on the bench as soon as he got the chance when it may have looked better to put Longstaff there.

I am not against Burn or Longstaff, however, I did see the benefits of resting both. 

We hardly saw Anderson last year. 

• Like 1