Eddie Howe, the god-like genius, and his injury-ravaged sausage-shaking title contenders v some tin pot club on the south coast

Dr Gloom

4 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Are you mistaking this boards leading thread-starter with Jonah Gloom? :lol:

Hate to be pedantic Fist, as there are other far more qualified for that around here, but Holden shirley is the boards second leading thread starter?

Scotty will tell you who is really the leading thread starter!

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Renton said:

Agreed up to this point. It's statistically unlikely to be this "unlucky" imo. I'm still convinced it's a function of the high intensity physically demanding way we play, and I do worry about how sustainable it is long term. I mean, I do love watching it and it's incredibly effective with a full first team, but I think a byproduct is always going to be a high injury and suspension rate. The answer is probably to transition to a more controlling side but this will take better quality players in a lot of positions and time. Early days yet though. 

I get where you are coming from, but I do still think they are unlucky.

Barnes not here long enough for that to be down to intensity of training (similar to Isak's first injury) Burn landed awkwardly, Murphy was unlucky first time and an understandable risk the second time. When it comes to Botman- he lasted a full season before an injury like this same with Miggy etc. Wilson has always been prone to problems.

The cards, I believe, are down to our style of play as the ones we have got in the Champions League have been different. 

With Murphy, Burn, Tonali in the squad, we would probably expect a similar size list to be injured given our schedule and the general dangers of the sport on the human body. Also, having more players available leads to better rotation and fewer injuries. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sammynb said:

Hate to be pedantic Fist, as there are other far more qualified for that around here, but Holden shirley is the boards second leading thread starter?

Scotty will tell you who is really the leading thread starter!

• Haha 3

Difficult moment of the season. Fortunately, the national team break arrives.

We have 6/7 starting players out of the team.

Botman, Tonali, Wilson, Isak, Almirón, Burn...

Schar has been playing with discomfort for a long time.

In addition, important players like Barnes, Anderson and Murphy are also injured...

Until very recently Joelinton and Willock have been down

The other day Bruno was not there either, with a sanction.

It is very difficult to compete like this, because we have players like Longstaff, Schar, Bruno or Gordon who are really tired.

Hopefully we can start to recover players in these two weeks and I hope that in the winter market we can sign a center back and a player for Tonali.

• Like 2

One of the podcasts this weekend said Longstaff has played 14 games in 56 days, which is about a game every 4 days. And most of the time he doesn't get subbed off.

This is the context for that performance at the weekend. It's totally unsustainable.

Let's exit the CL gracefully, win the Carabao Cup, and re-qualify.

• Like 2
  • Jaysus... 1

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

One of the podcasts this weekend said Longstaff has played 14 games in 56 days, which is about a game every 4 days. And most of the time he doesn't get subbed off.

This is the context for that performance at the weekend. It's totally unsustainable.

Let's exit the CL gracefully, win the Carabao Cup, and re-qualify.

Totally agree.  We need strength in depth especially in midfield.

To drop into the UEFA or whatever its fucking called now, just means we play on a Thursday and it still keeps us stretched.  IMO Liverpool will still be massive faves for that cup.

13 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Totally agree.  We need strength in depth especially in midfield.

To drop into the UEFA or whatever its fucking called now, just means we play on a Thursday and it still keeps us stretched.  IMO Liverpool will still be massive faves for that cup.

Couldn't disagree more.

Play the next game in front of you and play to win.

Chelsea at home, we will have Bruno back and hopefully Isak.

We've already proved we can win in the Carabao Cup with a second string team, full of spirit.

Two games left in the CL and 4 points would give us a good chance of progressing in some form of European competition after Xmas.

We aren't going to win a trophy if we just give up because things got difficult.

At some point in this journey we are going to have to overcome adversity.

No reason why that time isnt now

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Simply a realist. We've discovered that we can't cope with this squad in four competitions.

So what's the thought on the FA Cup? If we make the semi-finals of the league cup are you in favour of sending out the D team?

Where does EH draw the line? Serious question.

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

3 competitions is fine. It's standard.

Yes but that wasn't the question. If we make the League Cup semis, does he not bother with the FA Cup, so puts out bairns and 3rd choice players, so he can concentrate on the LC and the league, then we are just in two competitions?

And then what happens if we lose that semi final or even the final, everything is down to just the league position at the end of the season.

I think EH thinks exactly how @ackas has described, play the next game in front of you and try and win. He's definitely pragmatic with results but I don't think he sets his teams up to draw or lose, seems too measured and competitive.

• Like 1

Everyone near the top / competing for the CL rotates for the early rounds of the FA Cup. It’s just a question of whether the team EH puts out is able to win. The good thing is they’ll have had proper game time this year at least. 

• Like 1

we're well ahead of schedule lads. this moment was always going to come. i like how eddie tries to win every game. it's so refreshing. just enjoy the ride. what will be will be. it's a marathon not a sprint

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we're well ahead of schedule lads. this moment was always going to come. i like how eddie tries to win every game. it's so refreshing. just enjoy the ride. what will be will be. it's a marathon not a sprint

Too right Gloomy and if you stay the fuck away from games and making match threads we should be a-okay!

• Haha 4

I'm obviously not suggesting Howe should send us out to lose the next two games btw. I'm saying that the best thing that could happen to our season is that we don't have to trouble ourselves with any further involvement in Europe.

• Jaysus... 1

I think that the point of ownership and the point of the players and fans are going to be in contradiction here. And the coach will be in the middle.

Believe me. I have experienced this with Atlético 10 years ago. And I still do it today.

Property has one thought: money. Not titles. The titles are secondary. Because? Because they need stability. They think in the long term. And to have that, you need to return to the Champions League next year. And the other. And the other.

If they weigh being FA Cup champions, but finishing 6th in the Premier, or finishing 4th in the Premier, but not winning any title, rest assured that they will always prefer to return to UCL. It's more. They are the ones who will be able to ask HOwe that somehow the team does not give everything in the domestic Cups if that can be a distraction from finishing in the Big Four.

Winning the FA or the Carabao doesn't give you money. It gives you more money to win a simple group stage match in UCL than the cups.

• Like 1

RE: Tripper fan incident

I can't bear to watch the clip. I'd probably cringe to death. The guy is without doubt a moron to slag the team off. He clearly has a short memory but all supporters have bellends like this. I wish Trippier didn't even engage him as its brought a lot of spotlight on the fans and is not representative of the overall supporter base. You even have Garth Crooks getting involved. Pipe down GARETH.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 4