Chelsea v Newcastle United

Gemmill

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

It was only 15 or 20 minutes each half wasn’t it? Or am I imagining things now? 

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

Also, wasn’t there a Football league XI v the rest of the world side with Maradona playing for them too that season? 

Yes and yes. We knocked out Liverpool on pens only to get beat by fourth division Tranmere in the next round. :lol:

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Yes and yes. We knocked out Liverpool on pens only to get beat by fourth division Tranmere in the next round. :lol:

That rings a bell. Typical NUFC :lol: 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Alex said:

That rings a bell. Typical NUFC :lol: 

It makes me laugh when they talk about that "Spursy" thing of fucking things up and I always think try watching NUFC for 40 odd years you cunts. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alex said:

That was to celebrate the centenary of the football league (sponsored by mercantile credit iirc). The Zenith Data Systems sponsored one was an extra, short-lived, domestic cup (in the absence of European football after the Heysel ban). 

All the things mentioned there ring a bell and I know you aren't talking shite. You abstained from tac and are bragging.

2 hours ago, Chaser said:

It's not the defeats that hurt, it's the manner in how we lose them. Trying to protect 1 goal leads for over an hour then losing in the dying moments just kills morale. 

Or builds character. Depends on how you take it.

I'm at a point where I think I can hurt a foot with my bollock's forward defence. We'll win the FA Cup now.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, MMXXVIII said:

All the things mentioned there ring a bell and I know you aren't talking shite. You abstained from tac and are bragging.

No, I was just too young for tac at the time 👍🏻

• Like 1

27 games left between now and the end of the season, including all rounds of the FA Cup. 

That's a schedule this squad can cope with and thrive and then we go again in the transfer market in the summer. 

I reckon par performance for this squad is probably 7th or 8th. We've got (ranging from) little to no right to expect this squad to finish ahead of:

Man City

Arsenal

Liverpool

Villa

Spurs

Man United/Chelsea

To be clear I'm talking about squads here and I'm including Man United. /Chelsea as a joint one cos SQUAD WISE, at least one of them should expect to finish above us. I'm including Villa cos 2 years ago when Howe took over, Villa was already a professionally run club with an actual strategy in the transfer market. It's now gone on to strengthen from that already relatively strong position and appointed a very good manager. 

The fact that we're able to even dream of finishing above them with our squad is down to incredible coaching and a great set of lads that are fully bought in to the vision. But that'll change with each passing transfer window as we gain ground and eventually go past these teams. 

Hopefully trophies come too, but this team at the minute is a victim of its own premature success. You can see it on here - expectations have been raised prematurely, and the reaction to not having them met has been.... a bit weird/hysterical to me. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Aye. He almost single handedly stop us being relegated. But nah let's forget that. 

People always say this but from my memory he was injured for nearly all of the 2021-2022 season? NOT HAVING A GO btw, but it was the improvement inother players that saved us imo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Renton said:

People always say this but from my memory he was injured for nearly all of the 2021-2022 season? NOT HAVING A GO btw, but it was the improvement inother players that saved us imo. 

Yeah, he broke his foot and only made 5 league starts. Even Bruno wasn’t integrated until we were all but safe. Chris Wood was more important after Wilson did his calf 

Edited by Alex

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

27 games left between now and the end of the season, including all rounds of the FA Cup. 

That's a schedule this squad can cope with and thrive and then we go again in the transfer market in the summer. 

I reckon par performance for this squad is probably 7th or 8th. We've got (ranging from) little to no right to expect this squad to finish ahead of:

Man City

Arsenal

Liverpool

Villa

Spurs

Man United/Chelsea

To be clear I'm talking about squads here and I'm including Man United. /Chelsea as a joint one cos SQUAD WISE, at least one of them should expect to finish above us. I'm including Villa cos 2 years ago when Howe took over, Villa was already a professionally run club with an actual strategy in the transfer market. It's now gone on to strengthen from that already relatively strong position and appointed a very good manager. 

The fact that we're able to even dream of finishing above them with our squad is down to incredible coaching and a great set of lads that are fully bought in to the vision. But that'll change with each passing transfer window as we gain ground and eventually go past these teams. 

Hopefully trophies come too, but this team at the minute is a victim of its own premature success. You can see it on here - expectations have been raised prematurely, and the reaction to not having them met has been.... a bit weird/hysterical to me. 

Me personally, it's not about expectations not being met, its disappointment that they have been met. You can be as cool as you want in your analysis but football is an emotional game to most and to be bitterly disappointed about going out the two competitions I think we had a realistic chance of winning (LC and EL I mean) just before Xmas is not weird or hysterical.

I am fully behind Howe and the strategy, I fully agree we will improve and challenge better in the near future. I am happy with the course of the club. I'm just gutted for now cos I'm not a fucking robot. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Me personally, it's not about expectations not being met, its disappointment that they have been met. You can be as cool as you want in your analysis but football is an emotional game to most and to be bitterly disappointed about going out the two competitions I think we had a realistic chance of winning (LC and EL I mean) just before Xmas is not weird or hysterical.

I am fully behind Howe and the strategy, I fully agree we will improve and challenge better in the near future. I am happy with the course of the club. I'm just gutted for now cos I'm not a fucking robot. 

Listen, a genuine robot wouldn't react to this and call you an emo crybaby fanny, you emo crybaby fanny. 

• Haha 2