Conscription - Would you do it?

wykikitoon

9 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

As in “THIS ISNT THE FREEDOM WHAT MY GRANDFATHER FOUGHT FOR!!! 😡”? 

As in if it got to that point your options are probably limited to accepting the call up, trying to escape the country or internment 

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

As in if it got to that point your options are probably limited to accepting the call up, trying to escape the country or internment 

Well yeah, I think Gloom said one of his cousins was draft dodging in Israel when it kicked off? 

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

Btw, has anyone pointed out conscription negates choice? ;) 

Stop penetrating my echo chamber!

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, strawb said:

Currently 39 so I think I qualify. I wouldn’t do it though, it would be a war crime cos I’m so nails 

I swear I read somewhere that conscription age had been increased to 50 (or likely would be in the event of another world war) so there's a lot of people expecting to slip out that may be fucked (if the hypothetical event comes to pass).

Knowing it is unavoidable if and when it happens my heart says that my background as a bean counter gets me a cushy little analyst job in a bunker somewhere, however my head knows my upbringing in the west end will result in me being cannon fodder :lol:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Howay then, lets have a roll call on the mighty toontastic men ellifgible for conscription, lets say <40 years. Erm....

Dazzler, see above. 

Tom, gout, amongst many, many things. 

Rayvin, :lol: 

Andrew, New Zealand 

We're fucked lads. 

Aye sorry lads :lol: 

• Haha 7

52 minutes ago, Alex said:

I can’t see internment being a realistic option if it came to it. 

Unlike in WWII, I think the numbers of conscientious objectors would be in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions. 

We can barely manage to lock up 500 small boat lads, so the chances of locking up the likely numbers is zero. 

If it did happen, I’d expect a non-combat option to be given- logistics, medical assistants, manufacturing etc. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I swear I read somewhere that conscription age had been increased to 50

'Kin hell, that's another 10% of toontastic drawn into the net. 

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

swear I read somewhere that conscription age had been increased to 50 (or likely would be in the event of another world war)

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

'Kin hell, that's another 10% of toontastic drawn into the net. 

:lol: Suck it up youths- I’ll be tending my soiled spuds and cabbages as I Dig For Britain whilst you lads get decimated by Russian drones. 

8djpsx.jpg

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Nowt we can do about Trump, it depresses the hell out of me. I like to think, even in this country, Europe will get together to defend itself against Putin if it has to. Their military machine (nukes aside) is nothing to be scared of. 

I think it is likely Ukraine will ultimately lose the territory Russia has gained unfortunately, but the rot has to stop there imo. I was listening to a podcast this week which said in the early days Zhelensky was close to doing a deal with Russia but then Bucher happened and that was that. Maybe as some kind of compromise we could draw rUkraine into the EU and NATO fold. I honestly don't know how the majority of people living in eg. Donbas would feel about this, or rUkraine for that matter. Peace has to come about somehow. 

Those Ukrainians who haven’t fled the areas Eussia have annexed are already confronted with an appalling situation: Russian propaganda in schools and on TV and radio. Having to get a Russian passport in order to claim benefits or keep a bank account open 

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Well yeah, I think Gloom said one of his cousins was draft dodging in Israel when it kicked off? 

He switched his phone off, hoping for the best, but couldn’t avoid it 

• Jaysus... 1

Adobe_20190802_123059.jpg.b07c1a6bf6341aaae642590dc2447cff.jpg

"Whey me bonny, loyal puntaz, it's your favourite knight behind enemy lines reporting on the big one, the actual real live, not make believe or owt, propa I am, escape to victory match in the east of the Ukraine. One of our lads who's a prisoner is meant to be a bit nippy so I'll be watching him. He can be Pele as he's a black lad. The captain of the team is lance corporal Davey Jones from Byker. Ah nearly gave away me cover by standing up in the bushes next to the makeshift pitch and singing 'he's one of our own! He's one of our owwwwn, Lance corporal Jonesy! He's one of our own!' But luckily Ivan wasn't looking in this direction so ah got away with it. Anyways, as much as ah love feeding the voraciuoiu, vorasheses, err hungry appetite of my loyal readers ah'd much rather be out there as ah've got gold plated experience of warfare with the toon army like the time ah stared down those teenage lads going into Charlton's ground back in the day, but the enlisting officer saw through my disguise when ah dressed up like a Geordie shore young dipstick and said ah was only 24. Obviously ah'd have been Rocky had ah got away with the disguise but ah'm fucked if ah'dve went in goal like.  So, this is the next best thing. Predictions? 4-1 away win to the POWs. Howay the Allies! Ryder and out!"

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Haha 8

I honestly don't have a real clue as to what the Russia/Ukraine war is all about.
Russian Imperialism?

Historically disputed territory?

NATO expansionism?

And for that reason I'll not be investing.

Thanks anyway.

12 minutes ago, ackas said:

I honestly don't have a real clue as to what the Russia/Ukraine war is all about.
Russian Imperialism?

Historically disputed territory?

NATO expansionism?

And for that reason I'll not be investing.

Thanks anyway.

All 3, but you forgot the most important:

4) Putin is a cunt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renton said:

All 3, but you forgot the most important:

4) Putin is a cunt. 

Putin wants to be remembered as Vlad the great. It’s all about restoring what he thinks is rightfully Russia’s - legacy-building and fuck the consequences. The massive cunt

7 hours ago, Renton said:

Yeah, I guessed. So is every other fucker (UK based, anyway). Actually maybe not, get Blastronaut signed up. 

Aye like me with my chronic lung condition would be any use on the frontline.

I might volunteer all the same though, mainly because I live halfway between a nuclear submarine base and massive oil refinery. 

• Haha 5

Given that they don't have enough gear for the current armed forces, I don't know how they'd propose to do this. 

Unless they've got us doing street patrols with a colander on our head and a fly swatter. 

• Haha 2

I have to say, if the KGB are reading this, one of mankinds greatest achievements in my humble opinion was the Sputnik, Igor Belonov's rakers in the '86 Mexico WC and the lass who played Nikita in Elton John's 1985 hit, 'Nikita'. :good:

• Haha 5