Scabs vs Eddie’s Weetabix Haired Scargill Supporters.

Monkeys Fist

It's not the same as last season. If Joe, Willock and Tonali were available there'd be tons more energy and press in the midfield. With how open the midfield now is, there's a lot more for the defence to deal with. If Eddie still can't see that then I'm a little worried for the first time. That's all.

• Like 3

And the point is playing Livramento there, in the current setup, might not fix that. Howe possibly doesn’t think so. Don’t get me wrong, I think Burn should be dropped for his own good, but if he isn’t I still very much trust the manager. There’s loads of factors imo. The ones you mention, Burn’s injury, Miley making us more open in midfield (not scapegoating him either). Pope being much more of a command your box keeper (and more of a sweeper/keeper) than Dubravka. Botman still not back his best, etc. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Burn went to a charity do hosted by Shearer on Saturday night and apparently Shearer ripped into him about his performance which was allegedly laughed off by BDB. Hes from Blyth so is probably expecting a shit at any point tbh, it’s that sort of town :cuppa: 

Tino should start. The Forest right winger ripped poor Dan a new one on Boxing Day too :(

Aye he thanked him for turning up and said it was "more than he managed at 3pm today". :lol:

• Haha 6

27 minutes ago, Alex said:

And the point is playing Livramento there, in the current setup, might not fix that. Howe possibly doesn’t think so.

Trust Howe has been my default view generally. I do think most of these issues will be sorted out next season, unless we suffer another freak injury situation.

The problem in this situation is that Tino has been class every time he's played :lol:  And when he's come on for Burn he's made an instant impact. You can almost feel your bum lose the squeak a little when the ref's sub board goes up. 

• Like 2

Thing is when Tino comes on he looks mint because he's doing the stuff that gets your attention; bombing forward, big tackles etc.

He may not be quite there positionally, or tactically.

We'll see

• Like 2

I can't see an obvious answer, and for that reason it's probably going to a case of Howe sticking with Burn. Whenever I've seen heatmaps of us, it's always looked as Burn is a wide left CB. Tino is a right-sided player, attacking full back - whilst he's looked good at LB, I don't think he's suited in what Howe wants at LB - to make that 3CB, Tripps RM build up.

Trippier would be far more suitable as a Burn like LB than Tino, as seen for England, with Tino coming in at RB. But that removes the creative threat Trippier has on the right side, as well as the set-piece height he likes with Burn. Tino's versatility from the bench is probably favored by Howe as well. He can come in at RB, LB, RW. If we're losing, on for Burn to make us more attacking - if we're winning we can go to a 5 with him on at LWB with Burn LCB.

Only answer I see is that we have to get in a LB to match levels we have at CB with Botman, MF with Bruno and upfront with Isak. Going into next season, Burn simply can't be a LB. That's how we can progress again now.

Take away that hole in front of the backline and once our sweeper keeper is back in the team, BDB isn't as much of a problem.

Have a look at where most of the balls come from that give him problems and allow pacey wingers to target him?

They don't come down the line/over his head, as he can usually intercept those, they come from the space between our midfield and defence and they are hit in behind so his height advantage is lost.

Control that space and you start to control the problem.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Aye its like a giraffe chasing a greyhound and for some reason Eddie keeps betting on the giraffe 

:lol:

That image is fuckin spot on.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Nefilim said:

I can't see an obvious answer, and for that reason it's probably going to a case of Howe sticking with Burn. Whenever I've seen heatmaps of us, it's always looked as Burn is a wide left CB. Tino is a right-sided player, attacking full back - whilst he's looked good at LB, I don't think he's suited in what Howe wants at LB - to make that 3CB, Tripps RM build up.

Trippier would be far more suitable as a Burn like LB than Tino, as seen for England, with Tino coming in at RB. But that removes the creative threat Trippier has on the right side, as well as the set-piece height he likes with Burn. Tino's versatility from the bench is probably favored by Howe as well. He can come in at RB, LB, RW. If we're losing, on for Burn to make us more attacking - if we're winning we can go to a 5 with him on at LWB with Burn LCB.

Only answer I see is that we have to get in a LB to match levels we have at CB with Botman, MF with Bruno and upfront with Isak. Going into next season, Burn simply can't be a LB. That's how we can progress again now.

The only reason we switch to 3 at the back in attack is because we don't have the defensive cover that a DM would give. Get a DM and we could play with 2 attacking fullbacks. 

47 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The only reason we switch to 3 at the back in attack is because we don't have the defensive cover that a DM would give. Get a DM and we could play with 2 attacking fullbacks. 

howe doesn't seem to think we need one though

37 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

howe doesn't seem to think we need one though

I don't know if that's true. 

We're not inside the room, we don't really know who we're after, or what Howe wants. Maybe you're right and he just wants more 8s? I mean in terms of non-DMs we have Anderson, Bruno, Joelinton, Longstaff, Miley, Tonali, and Willock. When they're all fit we'd find a way to make up the 6's role in the aggregate. With Tonali and Joelinton we'd have physicality and tenacity, with the added bonus of passing range and dynamism.

But maybe Howe is desperate for a 6 but there aren't any available for the price or profile we're after?

• Like 1

Aye. I think it’s most likely that he hasn’t been able to sign a DM with the attributes he wants thus far 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

But maybe Howe is desperate for a 6 but there aren't any available for the price or profile we're after?

I think this is the issue. We couldn't (or wouldn't) afford Phillips' loan fee and they cost a fortune for a good one. 

• Like 1

The kind of player we're are presumably after;

between 18 and 26 years old

PL quality

tall and strong

technically proficient,

familiar with pressing style, 

Rare as rocking horse shit.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I don't know if that's true. 

We're not inside the room, we don't really know who we're after, or what Howe wants. Maybe you're right and he just wants more 8s? I mean in terms of non-DMs we have Anderson, Bruno, Joelinton, Longstaff, Miley, Tonali, and Willock. When they're all fit we'd find a way to make up the 6's role in the aggregate. With Tonali and Joelinton we'd have physicality and tenacity, with the added bonus of passing range and dynamism.

when he was quizzed about whether we need a "number six" in a press conference earlier in the season he said no as we have three DMs already - bruno, tonali and longstaff can all play that role. 

i guess that's open for debate. bruno cn play that role, but i think we'd all prefer to see him play in the more advanced role, as would the player himself 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

when he was quizzed about whether we need a "number six" in a press conference earlier in the season he said no as we have three DMs already - bruno, tonali and longstaff can all play that role. 

i guess that's open for debate. bruno cn play that role, but i think we'd all prefer to see him play in the more advanced role, as would the player himself 

Reckon that's just him playing his cards close to his chest, to be honest. 

I guess the ideal would be to have players who can operate in that DM position, but who has the flexibility to play further forward. Didn't Man City do that with Toure? They'd bring on a defensive midfielder when they were chasing a game/looking for the win and that would free up Yaya Toure to play further forward

• Like 1

The midfield that started v Luton is  not even a top half midfield

longstaff, Bruno, Miley, Miggy, Murphy. 

We’ll be fine when players are all back next season, although I’m expecting a lot of ins and outs so who knows what the midfield will look like in the summer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I guess the ideal would be to have players who can operate in that DM position, but who has the flexibility to play further forward. Didn't Man City do that with Toure? They'd bring on a defensive midfielder when they were chasing a game/looking for the win and that would free up Yaya Toure to play further forward

They did it at SJP the season we finished 5th under Pardew, they bought that dirty bastard de Jong on and pushed Yaya further forward at which point he promptly scored two which basically won them the title :glare: 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Fish said:

De Jong on for Nasri, Barry De Jong and 2-0 Toure.

1 hour ago, Holden McGroin said:

The midfield that started v Luton is  not even a top half midfield

longstaff, Bruno, Miley, Miggy, Murphy. 

We’ll be fine when players are all back next season, although I’m expecting a lot of ins and outs so who knows what the midfield will look like in the summer.

Sell Longstaff for £25m (pure profit because he’s homegrown), Miggy to Saudi for £30m, Bruno to Real if they activate the £110m release clause and let the rebuild commence 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

The kind of player we're are presumably after;

between 18 and 26 years old

PL quality

tall and strong

technically proficient,

familiar with pressing style, 

Rare as rocking horse shit.

Federico Redondo at Argentinos Juniors would be lovely if we could sell him a dream and beat off interest from bigger clubs.

https://www.thecopaclub.co.uk/post/federico-redondo-the-next-big-5-from-argentina-s-talent-factory

https://fbref.com/en/players/b7b9c8ce/Federico-Redondo

Edited by Nefilim