Rate this season

8/10 for me. For us to finish 7th this year whilst having the worst injury list/idiot suspension I can recall ever is a feat in of itself. Factor in some superb matches in the champions league and for me it's been an overwhelming success. We've come a long way very quickly and for me it's only going to get better. #inhowewetrust

• Like 4

7.5/10 for me.

If we'd have kept 6th it would've been 8/10 but stumbling at that last hurdle when everything seemed to be coming together has made the difference from a remarkable season given the circumstances down to a very good season given the circumstances for me. I would've had no problems declaring that 6th represented progress but to say 7th represents progress is a little bit tougher, particularly given the circumstances of a few of the results we threw away that perhaps revealed something of the limitations and weaker mentality of a few of the players when it comes to the crunch. The difference between 6th and 7th this season, for me, represents the gaps in the squad in some key areas that have persisted longer than maybe they could have. Not to bring the tone down too much. It was a magnificent season in so many ways. And I think we did progress in a lot of ways that will hopefully hold us in good stead for the future.

In saying all that, I think the biggest "moment" for this season is yet to come in the sense that we absolutely must hold onto the likes of Bruno and Isak. If this season (and particularly the difference between 6th and 7th) results in (or I suppose contributes to) the departure of either player (given the difficulty in replacing them even in terms of replacing them with multiple players) then you'd have to reconsider whether or not the season taken in that context represented a backwards step.

For what it's worth, I do get the feeling that Isak will absolutely not be sold even for ridiculous money. He is irreplaceable. And I don't think Bruno will go either. He seems happy at the club.

I am hopeful that this coming transfer window will be one we look back on as transformative in the sense alluded to above in getting us those final few pieces to turn us from a team liable to bottling big games to finally winning something.

All in all, I'd consider this season a launching pad for progress rather than progress itself.

• Like 5

7.5 for me.  Could do better, but could have been much worse.  Just a bit deflating in those games against Brighton and manu, but we really lost a much better position against the likes of Luton, Forest, and Everton.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Renton said:

I've said it before. I don't do optimism, I don't do pessimism. I do realism based on the facts. It's entirely natural that realism and pessimism have overlapped massively in the Venn diagram under Ashley and the like of Bruce so I forgive you thinking I'm a miserable cunt. But that is over now. I predicted 6th at best for us at the start of the season due to the added stress of the CL but without factoring in the injury crisis and Tonali liking a bettyyy. So we performed above expectations for me. Next year, all things being equal, I think we will advance in the league and have a huge chance at winning a cup, especially the EC. Realism 👍.

frank-spencer-o.gif (320×240) | Frank spencer, Michael, Crawford

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Alex said:

I don’t know why really but it bugs me I’m asked to rate something out of ten and the person asking introduces decimal points :lol: Parky used to going with films all the time but he’d go down .25s. I realise this is not something worth getting annoyed about :lol: anyway an 8/10*
*IF Man City win on Saturday. 

I’d have given anything for a season like this a few years back 

* 7.666 if they don’t win ?

26 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

* 7.666 if they don’t win ?

Posted (edited)

I genuinely thought we could match, or if things went our way, improve on fourth but obviously that went out of the window with the circumstances around the unprecedented injuries and suspension, credit to the players and staff for sticking together and getting us where they did but that last week was a bit disappointing where they undid their own work a bit. It's been frustrating looking at what could have been but there you go. At times it felt we were just getting shafted on a weekly basis not just with the injuries but the cup draws and the made up temporary laws to stop us getting imaginary players from Saudi. Make them pay for it next year, please. :good:

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Like 6

Final Outcome -  7th in the league with a chance of European competition. Quarter Final of two domestic cups. Out of the CL in the group stage. 85 goals scored, but 62 goals conceded. The mitigation of injuries goes further than just missing key men, it's also the strain it puts on those left standing, and the need for players like Burn and Longstaff to play despite being injured. To achieve the above while missing >30% of squad by value for 25 league games and 40% for 8 league games, is remarkable.

Results - Big results against the likes of PSG, the Manchester clubs in the cups, taking 18pts off the top 7 clubs. The hammering of Sheffield and winning by 3 clear goals on 9 occasions, only losing by 3 on 3 occasions.

Signings - Livramento and Hall have certainly looked like they'll become our first choice fullbacks, Tonali looked good for those 8 games. Barnes looks a good addition and has scored some important goals. But, Livramento has missed a chunk through injury, Hall is still learning, Tonali has missed the majority of the season and Barnes has as well.

Team Performances - Really difficult to judge given the ridiculous injuries we've endured. But, we played superbly in games, PSG and Sheffield spring to mind, as do the Villa games and the cup games against the Manchester clubs. Even with the injuries we've looked sluggish to start, we've lacked the sharpness in our control of the ball and there have been games where we've barely turned up against very beatable opponents. We are 3rd in the league for xG, but 9th for xGA. We have improved our xG from last season (76.98 -> 84.48) and scored more (68-85)  but are way more open at the back (41.86->62.46) conceding almost twice as many goals as we did in 22/23 (33-62)

Player Performances - Gordon and Bruno are my players of the season. They've consistently dragged the team over the line when we've been labouring. Schar and Isak get special mentions too. The latter would surely have scored even more had he been fit. Burn, Longstaff, Almiron, Dubravka have all had moments where you wonder if they'd ever played the game before, but it's only really Dubravka who you can say was playing without the shadow of an injury looming over them. Miley, Hall, Gordon have all improved their game too.

Overall 7.5

• Like 4

7.5. not as expected but in the circumstances, I think we've overachieved with the players we've had at our disposal for much of the season. 6th would have been a solid 8.

• Like 1

I'd say 10/10 for the mackem meltdown alone but we actually did fuck all bar winning the game comfortably, they did the meltdown groundwork all by themselves. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 1/3rd

Every emotion in fucking technicolour this season, and thats what football should be about.

Isak Bruno and Gordon would grace any team on the planet, and that's  2 years in.

Let the rollercoaster continue

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

been a roller coaster. tremendous highs like psg to some really shit shows, forest at home in particular. been robbed blind in paris on one hand to an almost suicidal mission to blow any chance of europe in successive games against brighton and man utd on the other. I think 7th is just about right and under the circumstances pretty commendable by the players and howe/coaching staff/medical team. hat doffed.

here's hoping howe can replicate the similar 3rd to 6th keegan did in the early 90s followed by a title challenge. I think he could if masters and his red top mates don't do everything in their power to prevent it, which they will.

off the pitch, not so good. in fact it's been an absolute fucking horror show by those in the background....  eales, silverstone and our safety/security team. to a man a bunch of utter fucking thundercunts.

they can stick their unlimited memberships, ballots, inability to select your seating area, 25% price rises, snidey tickets, spot id checks etc etc as far up their arses as they can, hope it all ruptures their bowels on the way up there.

CUNTS.

Edited by thebrokendoll
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Barry Glendenning has Tonali as his "flop of the season" BTW, the mackem bell. 

Mind, so did Louise Taylor. 

Well she’s a placcy mackem too 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, The Fish said:

Final Outcome -  7th in the league with a chance of European competition. Quarter Final of two domestic cups. Out of the CL in the group stage. 85 goals scored, but 62 goals conceded. The mitigation of injuries goes further than just missing key men, it's also the strain it puts on those left standing, and the need for players like Burn and Longstaff to play despite being injured. To achieve the above while missing >30% of squad by value for 25 league games and 40% for 8 league games, is remarkable.

Results - Big results against the likes of PSG, the Manchester clubs in the cups, taking 18pts off the top 7 clubs. The hammering of Sheffield and winning by 3 clear goals on 9 occasions, only losing by 3 on 3 occasions.

Signings - Livramento and Hall have certainly looked like they'll become our first choice fullbacks, Tonali looked good for those 8 games. Barnes looks a good addition and has scored some important goals. But, Livramento has missed a chunk through injury, Hall is still learning, Tonali has missed the majority of the season and Barnes has as well.

Team Performances - Really difficult to judge given the ridiculous injuries we've endured. But, we played superbly in games, PSG and Sheffield spring to mind, as do the Villa games and the cup games against the Manchester clubs. Even with the injuries we've looked sluggish to start, we've lacked the sharpness in our control of the ball and there have been games where we've barely turned up against very beatable opponents. We are 3rd in the league for xG, but 9th for xGA. We have improved our xG from last season (76.98 -> 84.48) and scored more (68-85)  but are way more open at the back (41.86->62.46) conceding almost twice as many goals as we did in 22/23 (33-62)

Player Performances - Gordon and Bruno are my players of the season. They've consistently dragged the team over the line when we've been labouring. Schar and Isak get special mentions too. The latter would surely have scored even more had he been fit. Burn, Longstaff, Almiron, Dubravka have all had moments where you wonder if they'd ever played the game before, but it's only really Dubravka who you can say was playing without the shadow of an injury looming over them. Miley, Hall, Gordon have all improved their game too.

Overall 7.5

I completely skimmed this and went straight to the rating.  Thanks for the input.

(When I mean skimmed, I mean ignored.)

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Haha 7

18 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I completely skimmed this and went straight to the rating.  Thanks for the input.

(When I mean skimmed, I mean ignored.)

Oh My God Omg GIF by First We Feast

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, The Fish said:

Overall 7.5

George Clooney Reaction GIF

• Haha 2

8/10

0.5 of that is for the management of the biggest injury crisis faced in Newcastle since 1854.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aye 8 for me as well. I predicted 6th before the season started but had I known we'd have the shit we've had to deal with I'd be saying mid-table at best.

Tremendous from Howe and the mainstays like Gordon, Bruno and Schar. 

• Like 2

Can this new shit with Ashworth be considered? As it's so fucking funny I'd like to revise my score to 11.5/10.

• Haha 4

7.1 /10

good start. Tonali, injury crisis, inconsistent form. The worry for me is our injury issues don’t seem to go away. We have overachieved in goals and chances scored, our defence has been frankly nowhere near good enough, compared to last season. 

2 new centre backs, a fully fit botman, and a left back that is consistent (though hall looks to be getting there) and we will be better off, also a summer of cleaning the championship level players out and a more intelligent right winger and options at centre forward that aren’t sick notes… 

• Like 2