General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Alright Stevie

Also did a year working in Tunisia and 6 months travelling around North Africa on me tod, which was great and the people were ace. For perspective like.

i like leeds but it's pretty rough in places. i had mates who lived in hyde park in leeds when they went to uni. what a fucking shithole that was. rough as fuck for students. one kid we knew got bundled into the back of a van, driven fucking miles away to a random shithole town like doncaster or something then ordered to empty his bank account and left there without a penny to find his way home.

Aye my sister was in her flat alone and 2 blokes waltzed in with a hammer and burgled her. I hope the cunts get hit by a bus

Ok so - myself and my partner are in the process of buying a house - same as 50% of the rest of the board, as far as I can tell - and we're hoping to have everything concluded by the end of August. She has just told me she wants a dog when we move in.

I like dogs - grew up with them etc. - but I'm concerned about how easy it will be for us to move around in future if we have one. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm not even sure we'll stay in this country longer than the next 5 years or so (we have wanderlust).

I'm concerned about any decision we make now with respect of the dog leaving us in a position where the next big life change is 'unfair' to the poor thing.

Honestly reckon dogs are a massive pain in the bollocks. My other halfs parents have 2 that we look after when they go on holiday and that is more than enough dog for me.

Depends on the dog and the house and you but you can't leave them alone for all that long which is a massive inconvenience when planning a night out or away or whatever, espeially if youve no one to come and take care of them for you

Honestly reckon dogs are a massive pain in the bollocks. My other halfs parents have 2 that we look after when they go on holiday and that is more than enough dog for me.

Depends on the dog and the house and you but you can't leave them alone for all that long which is a massive inconvenience when planning a night out or away or whatever, espeially if youve no one to come and take care of them for you

That's a fair point I hadn't thought of, we go out quite a bit... I obviously understand that ideally, dogs won't be left alone. Food for thought.

Edited by Rayvin

Pain in the arse imo. Need walking and they're definitely tying. Get her a Goldfish. Fuck it, get her two.

:lol:

Goldfish is a solid fallback, I'll keep that in mind. Will file alongside 'hamsters'.

Thanks ewerk, good to have a counter opinion.

I guess it's more the stress that a future move to another city or country might cause it. That said, it's just a one off thing I guess.

My parents moved about a lot with two dogs, they got a pet passport and were fine. They are Labradors who are pretty relaxed though.

Leaving them alone totally depends on the breed as well. If you get a lap dog or companion dog they will be fine left alone for a good few hours. Most other dogs will need a decent amount of exercise before leaving and some breeds really can't be left alone at all because they get separation anxiety and will wreck your gaff.

Thanks ewerk, good to have a counter opinion.

I guess it's more the stress that a future move to another city or country might cause it. That said, it's just a one off thing I guess.

I can't speak for moving country but moving houses is also a piece of piss. Dogs may take a few days to get atuned but they soon do. A dog will be your best friend for as long as they are on this earth.

My parents moved about a lot with two dogs, they got a pet passport and were fine. They are Labradors who are pretty relaxed though.

Leaving them alone totally depends on the breed as well. If you get a lap dog or companion dog they will be fine left alone for a good few hours. Most other dogs will need a decent amount of exercise before leaving and some breeds really can't be left alone at all because they get separation anxiety and will wreck your gaff.

Thank mate - not heard of pet passports before but that's a useful bit of info.

Also understand on the breed.

I'm expecting her to end up choosing something that needs nigh on 24/7 attention tbh.

I can't speak for moving country but moving houses is also a piece of piss. Dogs may take a few days to get atuned but they soon do. A dog will be your best friend for as long as they are on this earth.

I like that perspective too. Ultimately I want to do right by the dog though, hence the original question. If they can't handle upping sticks periodically and the occasional night alone, it's not fair to have one.

I'd love a dog these days - as I was raised with them but I work full time and live alone so I think it would be very cruel on the animal if it was by itself whilst I was at work. When I was living at home we had 3 dogs, my favourite, Tess was a german shorthaired pointer & even having her in a decent size house with a massive garden was cruel on the dog as she never switched off - I could take her out for 2 hours & she'd still be bouncing off the walls a few hours later. She would just pace about the living room for hours on end, endless energy

So yeh, you've really got to think about the happiness of the animal, also it's worth bearing in mind the import costs if you're moving country, IIRC the dog has to go into quarantine & it'll cost a lot of money to have it checked over etc.

If you've got any plans to move abroad, I think it would be a mistake to get a dog. If you're moving abroad, it's probably going to be a big city, which probably means apartment living. You can't do that to/with a dog.