Damien Duff

Akabusi

I'm wondering whether the Zog isn't on the move tbh.  He still hasn't signed the contract he was given a couple of months back and this is the last year of his contract.  Maybe this is a pre-emptive move to make sure we have a replacement in before we lose him.  Let's face it, if he continues improving at the rate he is at the minute, he'll soon have outgrown us.

162680[/snapback]

That's my biggest worry too. :lol:

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duff set to wing inJul 21 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United are confident they can pull off the £10m signing of Damien Duff from Chelsea early next week.

The Chronicle revealed United's move for Duff in our later editions yesterday, and if Freddy Shepherd and Glenn Roeder can pull the deal off, the Republic of Ireland winger would be the first signing of the summer.

And it will be a signing which will be surely welcomed by United supporters as it would give the club the sort of left- winger they have had in the past in the likes of Chris Waddle and David Ginola, but have lacked recently.

Neither Shepherd nor Roeder want their targets to be known until everything is signed and sealed, but Chelsea had a Press day yesterday when it emerged Spurs had a big rival for Duff - and that rival is Newcastle United.

Spurs thought they had Duff in the bag after making an £8m bid last weekend.

But Chelsea would prefer that their £17m signing from Blackburn Rovers a couple of seasons ago ended up at St James' Park and not across London at White Hart Lane.

And while United are hoping to make Duff a permanent signing, they would still take Shaun Wright-Phillips on loan from Stamford Bridge.

But they realise that Jose Mourinho would not want to lose two wingers even though he still has Joe Cole and Arjen Robben.

Knowing Roeder as I do, it would not surprise me in the least if the United boss has talked to Cole, one of his former West Ham United proteges, about Duff.

And if he has, he will have received a glowing reference from the English international about his Chelsea colleague who will tick all the boxes Roeder will insist on when he makes any signings. Roeder will have spoken to both Shay Given and Stephen Carr about Duff, a player who has been so vital to the Republic of Ireland in recent seasons.

Indeed, when I walked with Shay Given from United's chartered 737 jet to the luggage collection point at Oslo airport on Wednesday lunchtime, the subject of the man he calls "Duffers" came up.

Quite naturally, the United keeper was non-committal about whether his big Irish pal would be joining him at St James' Park.

And when I suggested that if he did it would mean United would be getting a player who always scored against him, Given laughed and said: "We'll just have to wait and see."

United face an anxious wait over the weekend, but there's a distinct feeling here in Norway that they will get their man - and there will be another couple following him in.

:lol: at the bit in bold. Robert completely written out of NUFC history.

162692[/snapback]

Not to mention the young French lad who spent all last season on the LW.

Duff set to wing inJul 21 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United are confident they can pull off the £10m signing of Damien Duff from Chelsea early next week.

The Chronicle revealed United's move for Duff in our later editions yesterday, and if Freddy Shepherd and Glenn Roeder can pull the deal off, the Republic of Ireland winger would be the first signing of the summer.

And it will be a signing which will be surely welcomed by United supporters as it would give the club the sort of left- winger they have had in the past in the likes of Chris Waddle and David Ginola, but have lacked recently.

Neither Shepherd nor Roeder want their targets to be known until everything is signed and sealed, but Chelsea had a Press day yesterday when it emerged Spurs had a big rival for Duff - and that rival is Newcastle United.

Spurs thought they had Duff in the bag after making an £8m bid last weekend.

But Chelsea would prefer that their £17m signing from Blackburn Rovers a couple of seasons ago ended up at St James' Park and not across London at White Hart Lane.

And while United are hoping to make Duff a permanent signing, they would still take Shaun Wright-Phillips on loan from Stamford Bridge.

But they realise that Jose Mourinho would not want to lose two wingers even though he still has Joe Cole and Arjen Robben.

Knowing Roeder as I do, it would not surprise me in the least if the United boss has talked to Cole, one of his former West Ham United proteges, about Duff.

And if he has, he will have received a glowing reference from the English international about his Chelsea colleague who will tick all the boxes Roeder will insist on when he makes any signings. Roeder will have spoken to both Shay Given and Stephen Carr about Duff, a player who has been so vital to the Republic of Ireland in recent seasons.

Indeed, when I walked with Shay Given from United's chartered 737 jet to the luggage collection point at Oslo airport on Wednesday lunchtime, the subject of the man he calls "Duffers" came up.

Quite naturally, the United keeper was non-committal about whether his big Irish pal would be joining him at St James' Park.

And when I suggested that if he did it would mean United would be getting a player who always scored against him, Given laughed and said: "We'll just have to wait and see."

United face an anxious wait over the weekend, but there's a distinct feeling here in Norway that they will get their man - and there will be another couple following him in.

:lol: at the bit in bold. Robert completely written out of NUFC history.

162692[/snapback]

Not to mention the young French lad who spent all last season on the LW.

162700[/snapback]

Eh? Who? ;)

Oliver's a prick man! Unless N'Zogbia is leaving, there's no way Duff has been signed to play on the left wing. IMO.

Has been signed, I said. Sorry, is hopefully being signed is what I meant.

Gol, Mourinho has said that only one other player is being allowed to leave Chelsea this summer. Supposedly it's Del Horno going back to Spain. So I think the SWP £10m loan thing was just paper talk.

Has been signed, I said.  Sorry, is hopefully being signed is what I meant.

Gol, Mourinho has said that only one other player is being allowed to leave Chelsea this summer.  Supposedly it's Del Horno going back to Spain.  So I think the SWP £10m loan thing was just paper talk.

162704[/snapback]

SWP was offered to Man City on loan, but they turned it down when they heard they had to pay. I assume that was before any talk about Duff leaving though.

Gol, Mourinho has said that only one other player is being allowed to leave Chelsea this summer.  Supposedly it's Del Horno going back to Spain.  So I think the SWP £10m loan thing was just paper talk.

162704[/snapback]

SWP was offered to Man City on loan, but they turned it down when they heard they had to pay. I assume that was before any talk about Duff leaving though.

162708[/snapback]

Malbranque deal back on mebbies?

Dyer up front!

Luque up front?

Milner up front?

Bowyer RW?

Dyer RW?

Taylor RB?

why cant we just once buy a player for a position we need? Everyone else seems to see that 10mil for a left winger is stupid when we need 2 or 3 strikers. regardless of whether he can fill in that role when needed.

162679[/snapback]

I agree with you, but isn't Luque meant to be a striker?

162704[/snapback]

162708[/snapback]

Malbranque deal back on mebbies?

162710[/snapback]

Not until they lower their asking price, which is already low!

Sky sports just saying he is talking to three clubs as Liverpool have just entered the "race" to sign him

162741[/snapback]

:lol:

Sky sports just saying he is talking to three clubs as Liverpool have just entered the "race" to sign him

162741[/snapback]

game over folks, anyway back to signing a striker eh

162743[/snapback]

Fuck a duck

162741[/snapback]

162743[/snapback]

Fuck a duck

162750[/snapback]

well we never really came to a decision whether we really wanted him or not though did we? :lol:

162741[/snapback]

162743[/snapback]

Fuck a duck

162750[/snapback]

well we never really came to a decision whether we really wanted him or not though did we? :lol:

162752[/snapback]

I did.

Apprently Duff has already turned Liverpool down, him and his agent a bit bizarre by all accounts, will be in Newcastle having his medical at some point today.

I'm willing to put my 1991 World Championship 4x400m relay Gold medal on Duff being a Mag by early next week.