Your favourite stand up comedians?

Toonraider

• 4 months later...

Going to see John Richardson tomorrow night, he's the dark haired northern lad from 8 out of 10 cats on channel 4. Anyone seen him before?

Bit of a purple patch for stand up round our way (all at Poole Lighthouse) in the next few months, we've go Rich Hall next which am really looking forward to, then Rhod Gilbert in April and in May Mark Steel is doing his "towns" thing. Mrs PL has paid for tomorrow night and Rhod Gilbert and I picked up the tab for the other two, theyre all £15 apart from Gilbert which is £25, I take it he's considered a "bigger name"?... she now thinks he's a greedy Welsh twat :)

I saw him doing it on the box, one of those "live from the Appolo" things, couldnt agree more.

Didnt really get the Mighty Boosh either, him and his mate seemed to be 2nd rate Vic and Bob copyists.

Thing is he comes across as to me as a natuarally witty bloke on Buzzcocks.

Going to see John Richardson tomorrow night, he's the dark haired northern lad from 8 out of 10 cats on channel 4. Anyone seen him before?

Bit of a purple patch for stand up round our way (all at Poole Lighthouse) in the next few months, we've go Rich Hall next which am really looking forward to, then Rhod Gilbert in April and in May Mark Steel is doing his "towns" thing. Mrs PL has paid for tomorrow night and Rhod Gilbert and I picked up the tab for the other two, theyre all £15 apart from Gilbert which is £25, I take it he's considered a "bigger name"?... she now thinks he's a greedy Welsh twat :)

Awfully generous of him :read:

The Vic n Bob stuff is pretty apparent in this new show too but i found it entirely cringeworthy .

(all personal preferences and an age thing i guess) but he just seemingly took the Vic n Bob element of surealism/character creation and forcibly applied it to all and sundry packaged it as 'comedy' . Trying to be as obscure as possible or whatever that draws "wow he must have been out of his fishfinger brainscape when he came up with that ?!" Youtube comments. Er , no - its just forced formulaic sludge unfortunately . 'like srsly painful'

Never really 'got' the Mighty Boosh stuff but didn't really persevere with it tbh .

Yeah agree he's canny on Buzzcocks at times, but for his own sake he needs to team back up with Julian (?) again or take the traffic cone off his head have a fuckin word with himself.

The Stand is opening up on Highgate. This is really good news for North East comedy as The Stand in Edinburgh is probably the best venue in the UK and if they can bring the same attitude and foster the same atmosphere we could see a really good scene blossom around it.

"Our aim is to be the best comedy club in England and from the off we’ll be aiming at stand-up fans with a selection of high profile solo shows. On Tuesdays our Comedy Connoisseurs Collection offers some of the biggest names in comedy. Phill Jupitus, Mark Watson, Rory Bremner, Craig Campbell and Frankie Boyle are first up, with plenty more to follow including Johnny Vegas, Mark Thomas, Sarah Millican and Stewart Francis."

Took the wife there for her b'day... was decent but not amazing. The venue isn't as nice as the Live Theatre on the Quayside and the comedy was ok but nothing special.

Been to all 3 now and can say that depsite the Hyena being a dive it's had by far and away the funniest comedians.

Guest CabayeAye

Noel Fielding was mentioned a page previous - anybody seen his Luxury Comedy show of late !?

Utter self-indulgent shit . Just a big student with a Ziggy Stardust swoosh . Completely unwatchable .

Anyone who has anything to do with that Camden comedy clique is always total fucking shit. Fielding is one of the least funny cunts to have ever disgraced telly. The sooner he fucks off into insignificance, the better. And he can take Russel Brand and Josie Long with him.

• 2 weeks later...

Jack Whiteall too . About as funny as headlice .

He has gone one of the most punchable faces out there.

Also completely ripped of Stewart Lee's montreal set and tried to pass it off as his own.

But he must be good to get as far as he has.... Or his dad being Judi Dench's (and others) agent got him far beyond his natural talent.

Where do people stand on Harry Hill? Seems to be a very divisive character but personally I'm a big fan. Don't know if he even does stand up anymore with his TV/internet shows.

Edited by TicTacWoe

Where do people stand on Harry Hill? Seems to be a very divisive character but personally I'm a big fan. Don't know if he even does stand up anymore with his TV/internet shows.

He's outstanding, one of the few comics that can appeal to the idiot mainstream while still providing comedy of such a standard that seasoned comics and critics don't pan him for it.

The staff he has on Burp are excellent too mind.