Your favourite stand up comedians?

Toonraider

Demetri Martin, Daniel Tosh, Patton Oswalt, Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg. All class.

Demetri Martin is awesome !

I love Jim Jeffries. His stand up is genius, as are his appearances on Fighting Talk. The Magic Johnson answer was phenomenal.

He's second only to Doug Stanhope for me.

What was the Magic Johnson bit about? It does sound hilarious.

I liked the bit Stanhope used to do on Screenwipe/Newswipe.

• 1 month later...

Saw Jason Cook tonight at the Customs House in South Shields.

Absolutely creased the whole way threw. What made it better was the fact it was a 'local' gig, so he made several references to the area.

• 2 weeks later...
Saw Jason Cook tonight at the Customs House in South Shields.

Absolutely creased the whole way threw. What made it better was the fact it was a 'local' gig, so he made several references to the area.

He's playing 17th and 18th of June at the Hyena if anyone else wants to check him out. He's also previewing his Edinburgh show in Cramlington on the 4thy July. Not sure of the venue at the minute, but I'll let you know.

Fish, you'll provably like Talking Funny. HBO one off show with Seinfeld, Gervais, Rock and Louis ck all sat discussing the art of stand up. Available to download at the usual places.

Fish, you'll provably like Talking Funny. HBO one off show with Seinfeld, Gervais, Rock and Louis ck all sat discussing the art of stand up. Available to download at the usual places.

:lol:

Cheers boss acquiring it now.

Watched this myself, underlined why i hate Ricky Gervais

I saw it on youtube, thought it was disappointing. What didn't you like about Gervais on it? I understand he arranged it, and it wasn't a bad idea, just poorly executed imo.

Watched this myself, underlined why i hate Ricky Gervais

I saw it on youtube, thought it was disappointing. What didn't you like about Gervais on it? I understand he arranged it, and it wasn't a bad idea, just poorly executed imo.

It's just him and his whole persona in general tbh, the bit were he was banging on about not getting "cheap jokes" was cringe worthy.

makes sense he arranged it, sort've wondered why he was there tbh, his standup is dire from the dvds i've seen, especially compared to the other 3 lads.

Exactly how I've always felt about him, can't stand him!

• 4 weeks later...

I went to Hyena's on Friday night as part of a stag do pacakage....they seemed to have a strict "no mobiles/no talking during acts/ no heckling policy...to be fair its a few years since I've been to any comedy club but is this the way most have gone? ....the compare was a complete knob end who was about as funny as a dose of the crabs (single syllable name, southerner, fancied himself as some sort of modern day hippy) The first act was probably pretty good but he talked in broad Glaswegian, which led to the mainly southern English crowd starting to talk among themsleves, which then led to two lads getting fuckin ejected! I couldnt beleive it...he had a single syllable name too, big bloke with a beard. The last act was apparently quite funny to most of the crowd, making rude words and nosies from various "speak and spell" type childrens toys...he was funny apart from that actually, biggish bald bloke. Sorry about not having any nmaes, Friday night was a long time and much alcohol ago :gay:

Saw a posh bloke called Will Smith in Manchester a while back was v funny just took the piss out of himself being a posh twat which was extremely good, never seen him on television or anything mind! Was at the comedy store at deansgate

I went to Hyena's on Friday night as part of a stag do pacakage....they seemed to have a strict "no mobiles/no talking during acts/ no heckling policy...to be fair its a few years since I've been to any comedy club but is this the way most have gone? ....the compare was a complete knob end who was about as funny as a dose of the crabs (single syllable name, southerner, fancied himself as some sort of modern day hippy) The first act was probably pretty good but he talked in broad Glaswegian, which led to the mainly southern English crowd starting to talk among themsleves, which then led to two lads getting fuckin ejected! I couldnt beleive it...he had a single syllable name too, big bloke with a beard. The last act was apparently quite funny to most of the crowd, making rude words and nosies from various "speak and spell" type childrens toys...he was funny apart from that actually, biggish bald bloke. Sorry about not having any nmaes, Friday night was a long time and much alcohol ago :gay:

Thing is, you wouldn't go to a play and talk on your mobile, chat to your mate or heckle the actor, would you?

Too many dickheads think they're funnier than the act, when they're not and everybody else had paid good money to see have someone make them laugh. I've never understood the logic in essentially paying a tenner to go and drink in a over-priced bar and have a chat to your mates while you ruin the show for other people. It's like people who organise office nights out, or birthdays or stag dos to a comedy club. Are they fucking retarded?

Mind, if the act is shit, he'll soon find out when nobody is laughing. Hyena's got a reputation for being a bear pit for comedians because regardless of how good they are, if they don't get the crowd immediately it becomes a very shit gig, very quickly. I don't mean the crowd are nasty or anything, they just quickly become unmanageable.

Oh and it's not a "no heckling" policy in general, it's a "only contribute something if it's good" policy. So many people think they're fucking hilarious, and they're really not.

"Thing is, you wouldn't go to a play and talk on your mobile, chat to your mate or heckle the actor, would you?"

This is stand-up we're talking about. Hecklers are part of it, and a good stand-up will shut them down quickly and in such a way that no one else will bother. The whole point of it is controlling a crowd, dealing with hecklers is part of that, and often it can be a highlight if they get ripped on good.. I take your point about bear-pits though, where it just descends into chaos. That is unmanageable for anyone.

"Thing is, you wouldn't go to a play and talk on your mobile, chat to your mate or heckle the actor, would you?"

This is stand-up we're talking about. Hecklers are part of it, and a good stand-up will shut them down quickly and in such a way that no one else will bother. The whole point of it is controlling a crowd, dealing with hecklers is part of that, and often it can be a highlight if they get ripped on good.. I take your point about bear-pits though, where it just descends into chaos. That is unmanageable for anyone.

I saw John FOthergill make a female heckler cry as she kept going on and on and on. Some hecklers never stop.

Yeah, "Hecklers" are, but these aren't heckling, they're just making noise and paying no attention to the act. If he's shit, leave. If it's a guy giveing the turn abuse, that's fine, the act can shoot him down. But if it's a table of 6 girls wittering on about Fat Sandra from work leaving early every Friday even though Becky's got two kids, the best act in the world will struggle to herd that flock of sheep.

Got a last minute ticket to see Peter Kay last night, with the added bonus of having Rick Astley opening.

He hasn't changed his formula much, jokes still very much based on 'remember when you were a kid?' and 'isn't modern life different?'.

All in all an enjoyable show.

"Same thing as ever" seems like a baffling thing to want to spend a good whack of money on. Then again, in the last year I've been to see Therapy? and dEUS doing much the same as they were doing in 1998-9, so hey.