Cooking

Gemmill

I remember when I was in the office down in London pre-covid and they were talking about vegan cheese and there was a consensus that nut-based ones were the best. It was like being back in the classroom where I couldn’t look at Kev, the lad I used to travel down from newcastle with, who was sat opposite. Because I knew if I did I would just start pissing myself laughing 

• Haha 3

Never personally had nice tofu. Don't dislike it  its just meh to me. Including at vegan restaurants. I reckon if I was veggie or heavens forbid vegan I'd just stick to vegetables and pulses rather than meat substitutes. Stuff with texture not pretending to be something else. 

Pistachio and coconut are just personal dislikes. I'd love Thai food were it not for the stupid amounts of coconut they put in it. 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I remember when I was in the office down in London pre-covid and they were talking about vegan cheese and there was a consensus that nut-based ones were the best. It was like being back in the classroom where I couldn’t look at Kev, the lad I used to travel down from newcastle with, who was sat opposite. Because I knew if I did I would just start pissing myself laughing 

:lol:

Had a redundancy meeting in the boardroom a few years ago with a few of us and a recruitment consultant there to 'help' us and give a talk etc, anyway, one lad who was a canny enough kid but a bit of a Knacker talked absolute gubbins to her and she was being polite and everyone was saying fuck all until he reckoned his mother told him there was no rush to get a new job, (he had two kids but was split up) but his dad said you need to get yourself sorted ASAP. The second he eventually rested his gums I piped up, 'Aye, they reckon mamma used to say, take your time young man' and we all had a good laugh but..... afterwards I was sitting next to a mate and for some reason the laughs at 'stonehenge' wouldn't leave us. I literally couldn't look at the cunt and in the corner of my eye he was on the verge of losing his shit as the lass was giving her talk, slightly irritated already by the mamma used to say interruption so eventually I gave up, kicked the cunt in the leg, got eye contact and it was basically the scene from life of Brian/biggus dickus. 

Cool story bro and all that shite but fuck me, the tears were rolling down. The lass was feeeewming. (Knacker was oblivious he'd caused it all). :lol:

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Alex said:

Vegan cheese is rank. 

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

I don’t think I’ve ever had it tbh 

Some vegan sausages and burgers are decent these days. Cheese is just one of those things that can’t be reproduced. Had some on a pizza once and it was vile. Doesn’t really melt, just sits there on top of the base in a splodge. 

• Like 1

I’ve done some stuff with jackfruit before. It’s odd. It looks like a tin of tuna when you open it, it smells like fruit salad and has virtually no taste. It’s a bit of a faff I think for what it is. I did a jerk sort of stir fry with it. It was nice but its meant to be ‘the vegan pulled pork’ because it looks a bit like it when it’s cooked. I think the texture is much more like mushrooms though. 99 times out of 100 I’d make the same / a similar meal with mushrooms instead. 

• Like 1

I think banana blossom is deep fried in batter and meant as a cod-like fish substitute. I’ve never had it before though. I’ll tell what’s fucking amazing though (veggie not vegan obviously) the deep fried halloumi from Coastline Fish and Chips next to the beach huts at Blyth. You can feel your arteries clogging up with every bite. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2