What are you reading?

khay

Reading isn't uncool per se. Reading the 21st century equivalent of mills and boon then wondering why you get grief by telling a board full of football supporting blokes on the other hand. . .

Fuck me you're dull.

Killing Lincoln - Bill O'Reilly

Its a historical book set as a thriller. Very good actually.

Was in DC last year so saw where Lincoln was shot and where de died.

Just reading about the last few days of the Civil War.

Two questions Fish

Was it your friend's copy that you read?

If so, you sniffed it, didn't you?

Aye and Aye

Reading isn't uncool per se. Reading the 21st century equivalent of mills and boon then wondering why you get grief by telling a board full of football supporting blokes on the other hand. . .

Your response to criticism of popular things that are genuinely shit is usually, "oh yeah, it's cool to say popular things are shit."

Guest CabayeAye

I've read the first few chapters, I'll not be reading any more. That would eat into the time I set aside for telling everyone else how uncool they are, all the while having nothing but shit hobbies of my own. :cuppa:

Seriously though, any lasses who've been told it's a good book have been sold a fucking lie.

Bender.

• 2 weeks later...

All The Culture novels. Just finished The Player of Games and Use of Weapons about to start Consider Phlebas and Look to Windward.

Those are some of the best sci-fi I've ever read. Real quality and huge canvas.

I've just finished "Skagboys." Like all Welsh novels it's a joy to read; the understated morality & politics blend perfectly with characters you know well enough to consider them as friends. Of course there's biting, cruel humour in every situation, as well as real pathos & superb attention to the nuances of speech & the importance of period detail. Thoroughly recommended.

Finally ploughed through the Stieg Larsson Millennium trilogy over the last month or so. Pretty decent page-turners, as expected. I liked the first one the best, though that might be because it was more of a conventional, self-contained thriller. Second one felt like it was treading water a bit, whereas the final instalment was lovely and meaty, though granted not everyone will get their kicks out of extensive descriptions of the history and machinations of the Swedish secret service.

• 2 weeks later...

Ploughing through some stuff that's ultimately bound for the charity shop, so this week has seen me take in Jenny Eclair's "Having A Lovely Time" and Nick Hornby's "Juliet, Naked". Both decent enough easy reads with implausibilities in terms of characterisation and, oddly enough, a female character who gets herself pregnant without the man in question knowing about it. Passed the time, but I was expecting a bit more from the latter in particular.