The official Deadline day transfer thread

Jimbo

Habib Beye claims he is leaving Marseille after being made "an offer I could not refuse" from Newcastle.

The right-back should tie up a switch to the Premier League club today for a reported fee of 4million euros (£2.7million).

The Senegal international felt his time at the Stade Velodrome had run its course, especially when Newcastle came in with an offer.

"I didn't want to finish here on a negative note," said Beye, who should pen a four-year deal at St James' Park.

"Perhaps the start of the season had got into a routine. You sometimes felt like part of the furniture and that takes the pressure away. But you need that pressure.

"I am leaving to rediscover that and something bigger still. It is an offer I could not refuse."

Beye has been dropped by OM for the last two Ligue 1 games, against Caen on Saturday and Nice on Wednesday.

He claimed it had got to the stage where he did not understand the decisions taken by coach Albert Emon.

On his axing from last weekend's team to play Caen, Beye added: "That was a determining factor (in him moving).

"Not because I cannot deal with competition, because I have already experienced that.

"But the choices of the coach, without doubt legitimate, bothered me and it made me reconsider the situation."

Newcastle have already raided Ligue 1 for defenders David Rozehnal and Claudio Cacapa this summer.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, thats my favourite player gone, I'm really gutted :lol: But best of luck to you Nobby.

I loved the little man too. I genuinely believe he had and possibly still does have the best technicaly gifted right foot in world football. Thats why there was no need for his crappy left foot.

Nobby's let us down in my eyes, not only has he fucked off for no good reason..........................

Bollocks, he's fucked off for the best reason in the world, to be closer to his children. There is no better reason than I can think of. His wife left him for whatever reason and took his kids to London, more power to Nobby for wanting to be nearer to them.

No way, "Bollocks" is the fact that at his time in his career he couldn't have put it off for a couple more seasons. Nobby was one of my favourites but he's let us down by moving. Using his kids as an excuse is poor, as if he/they couldn't commute for a couple of years? It's that attitude that's fucked up a load of footballers these days.

Nobby's let us down in my eyes, not only has he fucked off for no good reason..........................

Bollocks, he's fucked off for the best reason in the world, to be closer to his children. There is no better reason than I can think of. His wife left him for whatever reason and took his kids to London, more power to Nobby for wanting to be nearer to them.

No way, "Bollocks" is the fact that at his time in his career he couldn't have put it off for a couple more seasons. Nobby was one of my favourites but he's let us down by moving. Using his kids as an excuse is poor, as if he/they couldn't commute for a couple of years? It's that attitude that's fucked up a load of footballers these days.

So you're telling me if your family was at one end of the country and you were at the other and there was a job that paid just aswell right next to your family you wouldn't move?

Fuck off, man :lol:

So you're telling me if your family was at one end of the country and you were at the other and there was a job that paid just aswell right next to your family you wouldn't move?

Fuck off, man :lol:

There's other things to take in to consideration - loyalty and the length of a footballer's career. I can see what you're getting at but it seems like a pointless upheaval to me for 2 years in the grand scheme of such a short career.

How long has it been since we signed players that the other club were unhappy to let go?

Interesting point.

I think we needed one flair/creative player, bit jealous of the big paintbox SGE seems to be working with.

Being closer to your family is more than a valid reason.

I'm reserving judgement on Nobby until I found out what his ex does for a living. He said she moved for career reasons. If she has a job which is "normal" ie one where the contribution of his salary makes it nothing more than a hobby and theres no real reason to shift to London than I feel no sympathy towards him - he should have increased her money for the ONE YEAR of his remaining contract to persuade her not to move.

I know I sound cold but you can't tell me that an extra £60k say in her pocket wouldn't have put her career on hold.

Solicitor I think......