The Official Transfer Thread

Guest Stevie

Can hardly believe this now appears credible. If we sign Modric I will be over the moon - but even if we don't, I think it's a testament to KK and Wise that we are competing with the likes of Barcelona to sign top young talent.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mamic, who oversaw Eduardo da Silva's move to Arsenal, has informally confirmed that Modric is near to finalising a move to Newcastle, where manager Kevin Keegan is short of midfield creativity.

Yet no quotes?

I haven't seen much of him play but this would certainly be a very significant coup and signal of our intentions if it were to come off. He is one of the most highly praised and sought after young players outside of the major leagues and it would be great to see us signing one of these players before they end up at Barca/Madrid/Milan/Juve etc (mind you we thought the same about Viana and Maric and they certainly didn't work out like we hoped).

That said I've got no faith this will come off.

Still cant help but feel this is just to open the doors for the aforementioned teams to come in.

Exactly my feeling. Those news reports today are nothing else than the translations from the (very dodgy) Croatian news reports anyway.

Edited by Isegrim

Guest Stevie
Still cant help but feel this is just to open the doors for the aforementioned teams to come in.

Exactly my feeling. Those news reports today are nothing else than the translations from the (very dodgy) Croatian news reports anyway.

The Malmaison was mentioned to me, and this was not mentioned in any of the Croatian press reports, yet is reported in the Telegraph. This is for real. Watch this space as a leading Tyneside "hack" would say.

The Malmaison was mentioned to me, and this was not mentioned in any of the Croatian press reports, yet is reported in the Telegraph. This is for real. Watch this space as a leading Tyneside "hack" would say.

Fair enough if it comes true. I definitely wouldn't be against it, but I'll remain very sceptical until I see a picture of Jimbo's TV confirming the transfer.

Guest Stevie

Fair enough if it comes true. I definitely wouldn't be against it, but I'll remain very sceptical until I see a picture of Jimbo's TV confirming the transfer.

http://www.sportal.hr/vld/sportal/nogomet/...E483727DD8D0B.2

Ask your pal what Maric is babbling on about it. He says something about Gullit being a cunt, and us being the 5th biggest club in England, as well as something about the toon army?

Peter Harrison's name is mentioned too :D

Edited by Stevie

Luka is a great player. For those who haven't seen him play, he is something in between of Ribery and Diego, and being just 22, with a lots of room for improvement. He is a kind of detonator player, capable of igniting a whole team bringing it to another level. And Newcastle could really use that kind of player :blush:

From what I can see in relevant Croatian newspapers today, transfer money is agreed upon, something little bit over 20 mil €, but wages are a problem, just 100k € a month, totaling 1.2 mil € per year.

Dinamo wants to sell him, but his manager, and most powerful person in Dinamo, Zdravko Mamic, wants too much money. That's why Dinamo is talking to so many clubs about Luka, and thats why Luka is still here in Zagreb.

I, personally, would very much like him going to Prem, and Newcastle is a nice choice, great fans, great players, however, missing that one magical ingredient :D

He is delighted about possibility of Luka going to Newcastle. "If Keegan insisted on Luka arrival, it means that Luka has a place in starting 11, and will be one of a team stars right away."

Maric remembers that Gullit insisted on him coming, and he is very proud of that. Says Newcastle is a big club. When asked about Barca, Real, Chelsea, Maric says Newcastle is not in that league, but is one of biggest and richest clubs in Prem, making a new team, and great ambitions for next season, so Luka doesn't need to worry, Newcastle will be a strong and powerful.

Then he answers about how was it to live in Newcastle, he says it was great, he had a house neat the river, just he didn't have to much free time.

And, in the end, Maric says that Toon Army is a best fan group in England, and with fans like that one has to enjoy playing football.

Speaking of Maric, he is one of Dinamo legends, however, Luka is a better, more complete player, and definitely more focused on career than Maric, Maric is, well, Maric :D Party, party, party :blush:

http://www.sportal.hr/vld/sportal/nogomet/...E483727DD8D0B.2

Ask your pal what Maric is babbling on about it. He says something about Gullit being a cunt, and us being the 5th biggest club in England, as well as something about the toon army?

Peter Harrison's name is mentioned too :D

It got already roughly translated on N-O from a Croatian bloke:

Mamic brothers were in Newcastle the day before yesterday and returned to Zagreb on the same day.

They returned with an unfinished task because they couldn't agree on Modric's wages with Peter Harrison, one of the club's managers.

Mamic brothers did agree a fee (over 20m apparently), but Newcastle had prepared only 1.2m per year basic wage and Dinamo officials couldn't accept that.

Silvio Maric is apparently delighted that Modric could join his former club, and he's quoted saying:

"If Keegan has insisted on him, it means there's a red carpet rolled out for Luka in Newcastle. He'll surely be a star and automatically a starter in their team."

Reporter then confirms that Gullit had also insisted on bringing Maric when he was in charge here. Maric replies: "Yes, it was an honor and an achievement, because

Newcastle are a big club". Big enough for Luka? Rumors say Barca, Chelsea, Real Madrid are all interested? "They are not that big but in England they are amongst the biggest, and richest. They are creating a new team, and will go into the new season with high ambitions. Luka doesn't have to be worried, Newcastle will again be strong and powerful. What's life like in Newcastle? "Bla bla, i had a great time, etc" What about Newcastle supporters? "Best in England! Toon army is incredibly devoted to the club and go on every away games in big numbers (5-6k). It's fascinating, with those kind of supporters you just have to enjoy playing football".

Edit: Ok, Santana was quicker.

Edited by Isegrim

From The Sun:

NEWCASTLE are close to signing £12million-rated Croatian midfield star Luka Modric.

Dinamo Zagreb vice-chairman Zdravko Mamic jetted into Tyneside on Tuesday and met Toon officials in a hotel to discuss the move.

Modric, 22, has been targeted by a host of European big guns with Chelsea and Arsenal among the favourites to land him.

But Geordies executive director of football Dennis Wise has won the battle.

Modric will join after Euro 2008 and has even hosted a farewell dinner party with Dinamo pals to toast the transfer.

A source close to Modric said: “Mamic came back to Croatia and insisted that Luca is close to moving to Newcastle.

“He always talked about Spain but Portsmouth’s Croatian star Niko Kranjcar has told him to move to England.

"The money Newcastle are offering is fantastic.”

Meanwhile, Toon boss Kevin Keegan is set to offer defender Steven Taylor, 22, a new deal.

Seems like good ITK stuff from Stevie so far. Tbf, I'd have kept it to myself after the last time. Which isn't a dig btw Stevie. (At least not at you).

Edited by alex

one of the stands in zagreb is the mark viduka stand , payed for with the cash from the sale of him , funny how these things connect innit :D

we sell ourselves short these days , newcastle obv still has alot of appeal for proper footballers (not the glory hunting kind)

one of the stands in zagreb is the mark viduka stand , payed for with the cash from the sale of him , funny how these things connect innit :D

we sell ourselves short these days , newcastle obv still has alot of appeal for proper footballers (not the glory hunting kind)

According to Wikipedia, he's Viduka's second cousin.

Guest Stevie
I'm surprised Maric is so positive - wasn't exactly well loved and I wouldn't have been surprised to see Titus like comments.

I remember when Maric played against us, when they were called Croatia Zagreb, he played awesome but as soon as he came here he was like a mouse. It's sad to say his finest hour was probably that pass he gave Shearer at Old Trafford. I remember him more for that sitter he missed at Wembley against Man Utd. I think the one thing that summed his time here up was, we were playing Derby in a night game ball game across the box, it was Maric's ball all day and Shearer basically pushed him out the way to score.

Guest Stevie

It'll be interesting to see how Anal reports this, I'm sure it'll be "wide of the mark", while he's the last one to know.