The Official Transfer Thread

Guest Stevie

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manchester City have confirmed the signing of Brazilian striker Jo for an undisclosed club record fee.

The 21-year-old CSKA Moscow star is the first signing by City boss Mark Hughes since his arrival at Eastlands.

Jo, who helped CSKA win four trophies during a three-year spell in Russia, has agreed a four-year deal.

"He's a big guy, in stature and ability, so I think everybody will enjoy watching him play," Hughes told the club's website.

"A lot has been said about him and there was an expectation on him coming out of Brazil, so with the success he's had, I think it's a real coup that we've been able to bring him to the club."

The transfer, thought to be worth about £18m - beating the £13m the club spent to sign Nicolas Anelka from Paris Saint-Germain in 2002 - was first mooted several weeks ago and City will be delighted to have finally got their man.

Jo is advised by Kia Joorabchian, who was involved in the saga concerning Carlos Tevez's move to West Ham in August 2006 and later switch to Manchester United.

606: DEBATE

Will Jo be a success at Man City?

The 6ft 3in forward, whose full name is Joao Alves de Assis Silva, scored 44 goals in 77 games for CSKA Moscow.

He also helped them to a Russian league and cup double in 2006 and has Champions League experience, notably scoring home and away against Italian champions Inter Milan last season.

_44797318_jo226body.jpg

He's got a Pineapple on his head

He's got a Pineapple on his head....

How are these CL clubs so skint they have to ask 20mil for Crouch and 36mil for Adebayor? Do they honestly think there's someone out there who will pay that?

Jo for 18mil is hilarious also. More money than sense, Man City.

How are these CL clubs so skint they have to ask 20mil for Crouch and 36mil for Adebayor? Do they honestly think there's someone out there who will pay that?

6.5m for lampard though.

:D

6.5m for lampard though.

Ano just saw that. Crouch for 20 mill and Lampard for 7.

6.5m for lampard though.

Is it a length of contract thing?

6.5m for lampard though.

Maybe Benny is charging by the inch for Crouch.

6.5m for lampard though.

Maybe Benny is charging by the inch for Crouch.

Sometimes someone has to crouch and someone has to be on tippietoes.® Every inch counts.

Middlesbrough landed a blow in the battle for north-east regional supremacy yesterday when their new signing, Didier Digard, revealed he turned down a move to Newcastle United. The 21-year-old central midfielder, who cost Middlesbrough £7.2m from Paris St-Germain, joins the Dutch forward Marvin Emnes, 20, at the Riverside next season. He said: "I had the opportunity to go to other clubs - including Monaco, Newcastle United and Portsmouth - but I was very impressed by Gareth Southgate. This is a beautiful club. They give the youth a lot of chances to play, which gives me a chance to get more experience."

Middlesbrough landed a blow in the battle for north-east regional supremacy yesterday when their new signing, Didier Digard, revealed he turned down a move to Newcastle United. The 21-year-old central midfielder, who cost Middlesbrough £7.2m from Paris St-Germain, joins the Dutch forward Marvin Emnes, 20, at the Riverside next season. He said: "I had the opportunity to go to other clubs - including Monaco, Newcastle United and Portsmouth - but I was very impressed by Gareth Southgate. This is a beautiful club. They give the youth a lot of chances to play, which gives me a chance to get more experience."

Ex Le-Havre?

Zoggy probably warned him off.

Some Smogmonster has taken time off molesting his kids to update wiki...

"He rejected overtures from Newcastle United because he thought the club wasn't going forwards with Mike Ashley at the helm."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didier_Digard#cite_note-3

I was going to edit that myself but probably best not to put in what I was going to from my work computer.

Maybe Digard believed this load of shite:

Middlesbrough can claim Champions League spot, claims Southgate

10/07/2008

Gareth Southgate insists he can lead Middlesbrough into the Champions League.

The Boro boss reckons he has finally emerged from the shadow of Steve McClaren.

Stewart Downing is the only player from the last game of McClaren's reign two years ago likely to start the new season.

Speaking at the unveiling of joint £7.2million new signings Marvin Emnes and Didier Digard, Southgate said his long-term goal was to guide the club into battle with Europe's elite.

The 37-year-old former Boro and England defender said: "As a manager you have to take your club into the Champions League.

"We've been in Europe in the past and that's where we have to be aiming again.

We're capable of doing that and then it's up to us to push on."

Derdiyok, who we were rumoured to be interested in, looks like he is joining Hoffenheim in Germany (newly promoted). Talks are ongoing (confirmed by Hoffenheim) with the player accoding to Basel's manager Gross having stated his intention to move on. Seens like just the fee has to be agreed after Hoffenheim's first bid of 5m Euro got rejected.

Derdiyok, who we were rumoured to be interested in, looks like he is joining Hoffenheim in Germany (newly promoted). Talks are ongoing (confirmed by Hoffenheim) with the player accoding to Basel's manager Gross having stated his intention to move on. Seens like just the fee has to be agreed after Hoffenheim's first bid of 5m Euro got rejected.

I assume it's going to be spend spend spend for Hoffenheim once again now that they've been promoted? Or was the aim of the whole laboratory project just to get them to the 1. Liga and take it from there?

I assume it's going to be spend spend spend for Hoffenheim once again now that they've been promoted? Or was the aim of the whole laboratory project just to get them to the 1. Liga and take it from there?

It's a long term project with the next step being to establish them in the top flight. They stick to their "plan" to build up a team of young players for the future with the aim that later it will be predominantely (German) youth players from their own academy. Next to their new stadium they are currently also building a new übermodern training complex.